Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
361 - 380 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Bona sucked in the four years before Schmidt was there, but DAMN, people really tried to make it seem like we were Fordham.

In the nine years prior to Anthony Solomon's arrival in Olean, Bona went to four NITs and one NCAA. Might have been five NITs if not for the scandal in 2003.

Not exactly a pure shit program like that rat Brown thought.

Imagine getting fired from a fucking SUNY school. You could kill a player and still be employed. Fuck him and that shit program he coached.

It was nice seeing him treated with respect by the Bona students when SUNY Albany played in the RC the year after his comments.

·
Piker
10,591 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Bona sucked in the four years before Schmidt was there, but DAMN, people really tried to make it seem like we were Fordham.

In the nine years prior to Anthony Solomon's arrival in Olean, Bona went to four NITs and one NCAA. Might have been five NITs if not for the scandal in 2003.

Not exactly a pure shit program like that rat Brown thought.

Imagine getting fired from a fucking SUNY school. You could kill a player and still be employed. Fuck him and that shit program he coached.

It was nice seeing him treated with respect by the Bona students when SUNY Albany played in the RC the year after his comments.
It really is amazing what Schmidt has done with such a dog of a program. He likes Sam Adams and REO Speedwagon so it makes sense.

Reactions: 3rdShayCripSet

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Unless there is other history, I thought he was complementing Schmidt. My take is the Siena beat writer is stirring up the pot.

You Bona fellows are too dizzy from having your heads so far in the clouds. Seriously he was a young coach coming off of two NCAA appearances in a lesser league and was being told the job could be career suicide. It would have been a huge risk. Schmidt was in an entirely different situation at Robert Morris. Be damned glad Brown “elected to stay” at Albany.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Unless there is other history, I thought he was complementing Schmidt. My take is the Siena beat writer is stirring up the pot.

You Bona fellows are too dizzy from having your heads so far in the clouds. Seriously he was a young coach coming off of two NCAA appearances in a lesser league and was being told the job could be career suicide. It would have been a huge risk. Schmidt was in an entirely different situation at Robert Morris. Be damned glad Brown “elected to stay” at Albany.
No one has their head in the clouds, guy. It's that things are always overstated when talking about Bona's down time before Schmidt arrived.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

He said the quiet part out loud. He easily could have said he didnt feel it was right for him or his family and nobody would have cared. We are all glad he stayed, no doubt.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
No one has their head in the clouds, guy. It's that things are always overstated when talking about Bona's down time before Schmidt arrived.
From an outsider’s perspective, I would say that the Bona program was in dire straights when Schmidt took over. Brown actually said he was told it was career suicide from people close to St. Bonaventure and the industry. It is what it is guy. He didn’t sugar coat anything. He was brutally honest and gave his reasons for not taking the job and then gave Schmidt kudos because he blew up the perceptions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
From an outsider’s perspective, I would say that the Bona program was in dire straights when Schmidt took over. Brown actually said he was told it was career suicide from people close to St. Bonaventure and the industry. It is what it is guy. He didn’t sugar coat anything. He was brutally honest and gave his reasons for not taking the job and then gave Schmidt kudos because he blew up the perceptions.
I read the article. I don't doubt people "in the industry" said Bona was a dead end job, but seriously doubt anyone tied to Bona would have said that.

I'm glad Schmidt took advice from Skip Prosser, instead of the St. Rose and Siena coach like Will Brown did.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I don't care one way or another now, but I think we just get so sick and tired of past being hashed and rehashed ad nauseum. Welder this and that, career suicide, quitters, shit town, middle of nowhere. You know how many colleges are figuratively in the middle of nowhere? Tons. It was 2003-2007, ancient history at this point. It would also help if the asshole, pound their chest, look at us, segment of the Bona fans would just STFU and get lost too. I almost think they revel in hearing about "the scandal" over and fucking over.

Specific to the article, I thought he complimented Schmidt and then tried to defend his reasoning: "...my decision was based off of people that I spoke with in the business that worked there, people in that league..." That worked there. Well, a lot of people who worked there in the years immediately preceding and during Solomon's tenure probably didn't have much nice to say. Thankfully some die-hards stuck it out and we are where we are now. We're just sick of the narrative that we're some podunk poor-ass D3 school in bumfuck, NY charading around with a D1 basketball program.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I don't care one way or another now, but I think we just get so sick and tired of past being hashed and rehashed ad nauseum. Welder this and that, career suicide, quitters, shit town, middle of nowhere. You know how many colleges are figuratively in the middle of nowhere? Tons. It was 2003-2007, ancient history at this point. It would also help if the asshole, pound their chest, look at us, segment of the Bona fans would just STFU and get lost too. I almost think they revel in hearing about "the scandal" over and fucking over.

Specific to the article, I thought he complimented Schmidt and then tried to defend his reasoning: "...my decision was based off of people that I spoke with in the business that worked there, people in that league..." That worked there. Well, a lot of people who worked there in the years immediately preceding and during Solomon's tenure probably didn't have much nice to say. Thankfully some die-hards stuck it out and we are where we are now. We're just sick of the narrative that we're some podunk poor-ass D3 school in bumfuck, NY charading around with a D1 basketball program.
Yeah, but it’s the douche bag talking heads that like that narrative. Schmidt’s peers and people that actually count don’t see things that way.

People were saying the same things about UD when they shit canned Jim O’Brien and we were kicked out of our conference. UD didn’t have the welder BS but the entire athletic department not just the basketball program was a mess.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Whether it's the Bonnies, Flyers or another school (especially non P5), it's easy to go from the penthouse to the outhouse quickly. Your successful coach leaves for a perceived bigger spotlight, the university/athletic administration changes its focus on athletics, a program is placed on probation, changes in NCAA rules e.g. transfers etc. Now, what seems to be an out of control NIL spending spree will be another factor. What if Osunniyi and Lofton had told Schmidt at the end of the semester they were leaving for P5 schools? I think its getting harder for many programs to maintain success year after year. Hopefully, there are more coaches like Few, McKillop, Schmidt, John Chaney et al who can achieve success for their program and remain content where they are.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Better to have your head up in the clouds, then up your...well, you know.
I do think most Bona fans outside of the bandwagon are pretty even-keeled. We know this is obviously a big year for Bona, but there's a lot to prove.

The difference between being the first team out or a 7/8 seed is maybe two losses.

Bona pummeled their way through a very average schedule last year with many breaks. This year's OOC is the hardest we've had since the early 2000s. We have to win most of those marquee games because the A10 isn't helping us this year just like it didn't help us in 2018 when we had 25 games and were relegated to Dayton.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
To update, the source with whom I first spoke only watched the first 10-15 minutes and liked what he saw. Schmidt worked through a lot of the new guys, apparently, and we fell off.

Lofton played 11 minutes total. No word on any other specifics.

361 - 380 of 412 Posts