Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
401 - 420 of 490 Posts

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
It didn't hurt that you beat Clempson, and pummeled Marquette.
You'll get another chance in a couple weeks with ranked UConn, and Virg Tech, both on ESPN2.
Right, but in the last 20 years, we beat a handful of ranked teams, won two A-10 titles, and got like a casual mention.

On Sunday, we had a halftime preview of our game for all the other ESPN games; halftime recap for all the games, 60 second studio talk on us each time. On Friday, my office wall has 4 TVs on it. We had them tuned to ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU, and at one point, we hit the ESPN Trifecta: All three networks showing/talking about us at the same time, three different segments.

ESPN picks a couple things, and only talks about those things. And talks about them so much you cannot escape those topics if you're a sports fan. We were one of those topics while playing in Charleston.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I'm going to be really fucking pissed if the season everyone knows we are good, we are on the bubble.

This is my big problem with college basketball: I feel like "Who's dick to we need to suck to KNOW we are good?" And we started this season with everyone knowing we are good.... and it might not actually matter.

The JP Scheduling Philosophy is about using math to fooling people into thinking we are good. The Bonnies started the season with people THINKING THEY ARE GOOD. And it really pisses me off that BCS "perceived good" teams can lose to a mid-major and a ranked team, and no one gives a fuck... but the one time we're preseason Perceived Good, we do that and we drop from "perceived good" to like a couple votes in the polls.

Also, I want to apologize to all my A-10 brethren for all the moments this season so far, and moments this season to come where I come off as ultra-cunty. I try my best to be grounded, but drunk JP definitely comes off wrong. And I would much rather apologize more than get drunk less, because of how awesome whiskey is.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
We lost to UNI with Lofton. If that doesn't happen we're 9-1 with a loss to UConn and ranked. Top 25 teams don't let that happen. Do I think we're tournament-worthy? Maybe, at least bubbly. We haven't seen tournament capable basketball except in a couple of games.

Did anyone catch the factoid Saturday that we haven't beaten a ranked team OOC since SU in 1978? Look, Schmidt's awesome, he's a really good coach, he's great for our program. But that's a stat he needs to erase. Sure we don't get ranked OOC games every season but you had UConn there without 2 players and played toe-to-toe for long enough to show you belong, get the signature win. It's that simple. Win games. You take that one and you're back on everyone's radar, possibly ranked, and everyone starts to see UNI as a near comical misstep to be forgiven. VaTech is [impending cliche] a must win.

Look, there are harsh realities of being a non-P6 in college ball. I despise the idea of "good losses" as much or more than the next guy because I want to reward winners. But at the end of the season when you're comparing a TCU vs. an SBU and TCU won all their buy games and we are UNI's only OOC D1 win? Who has the bigger splat factor?

·
Registered
133 Posts
We lost to UNI with Lofton. If that doesn't happen we're 9-1 with a loss to UConn and ranked. Top 25 teams don't let that happen. Do I think we're tournament-worthy? Maybe, at least bubbly. We haven't seen tournament capable basketball except in a couple of games.

Did anyone catch the factoid Saturday that we haven't beaten a ranked team OOC since SU in 1978? Look, Schmidt's awesome, he's a really good coach, he's great for our program. But that's a stat he needs to erase. Sure we don't get ranked OOC games every season but you had UConn there without 2 players and played toe-to-toe for long enough to show you belong, get the signature win. It's that simple. Win games. You take that one and you're back on everyone's radar, possibly ranked, and everyone starts to see UNI as a near comical misstep to be forgiven. VaTech is [impending cliche] a must win.

Look, there are harsh realities of being a non-P6 in college ball. I despise the idea of "good losses" as much or more than the next guy because I want to reward winners. But at the end of the season when you're comparing a TCU vs. an SBU and TCU won all their buy games and we are UNI's only OOC D1 win? Who has the bigger splat factor?
To be fair, there's only so much we can control.

Before the year, people were saying UNI was a signature game on our OOC. No one thought they'd shit the bed and be a Q4 club. Granted it is still early, so that can change, but at the time of the loss, it was ugly.

Add in the fact that Boise, Clemson and Marquette have at best looked average this year and you can see why we've fallen off the national radar. It might not even matter because we have three, almost 4 Q2 wins through 10 games...That's pretty solid.

The A10 is looking better and we could have 10, maybe 11 of our conference games against Q1/2 clubs. That'll give us ample opportunities to improve our resume. If we can avoid multiple Q3/4 losses in conference while finishing with ~13 wins, we should be in so long as we avoid a bad loss in DC or a bunch of bid thieves.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
My question to JP is which BCS team lost to a “mid-major” shouldn’t be ranked above Bona? Kansas lost to Dayton. Alabama lost to Iona. St. Bonaventure lost to UNI. The only other team in the NET top 20 with a quad 2 loss is Ohio State and that was at Florida. Houston is the only team in that group without a Q1 win. So all of these teams have at least one quality win (Bona doesn’t) and no terrible losses (Bona does).

·
Registered
133 Posts
My question to JP is which BCS team lost to a “mid-major” shouldn’t be ranked above Bona? Kansas lost to Dayton. Alabama lost to Iona. St. Bonaventure lost to UNI. The only other team in the NET top 20 with a quad 2 loss is Ohio State and that was at Florida. Houston is the only team in that group without a Q1 win. So all of these teams have at least one quality win (Bona doesn’t) and no terrible losses (Bona does).
Us Bona fans believe the deep state is out to get us.

For better or for worse, we need to look at the A10 and ourselves not the NCAA for the reasons why we make the tourney or get snubbed or why we are ranked v. unranked.

We were 20 point favorites at home and lost to UNI. Richmond a couple weeks later went all the way out to Cedar Rapids and won convincingly. While some people believe most of the voters are ignorant, I do believe they know how UNI has fared since we played them and how are Charleston bracket has done since we played them, too.

Too many moving targets with us Bona fans. We care about rankings, then we don't, we care about the NET in November then we dismiss it.

Just Winn and let the rest sort itself out.

·
Piker
11,305 Posts
It will be fine guys. I saw a thread about how Bona is going undefeated in A10 play.

Reactions: JonBoy
401 - 420 of 490 Posts