Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
421 - 440 of 517 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I dunno, I think reality is somewhere in the middle. I do believe that P5 teams are afforded more grace when it comes to losing. Should a top 25 team become a bubble team after one loss? Does that happen to Maryland, Virginia Tech, or Syracuse?
The Bonnie’s won’t be a bubble team if they win the A10 regular season and don’t have anymore losses to +200 NET teams. Winning the A10 regular season includes wins against the top teams which is what every team has to do for an at large bid. A win against VaTech wouldn’t hurt either.

Maryland, VT and Syracuse will get chances at Q1 wins that hide one bad loss. If they don’t have the Q1 wins I don’t think they’ll get treated any differently than St. Bonaventure. The unfairness in the system is that P5 teams have more opportunities to enhance their NET.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
Henceforth, we need to control what we can. The Charleston Classic title is a nice feather in the cap, but we haven't clicked at all beyond that Marquette game. Schmidt's teams usually peak around February, but we can't afford anymore slip ups. The next three are almost must-wins before the big game at Jaffie's place.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I dunno, I think reality is somewhere in the middle. I do believe that P5 teams are afforded more grace when it comes to losing. Should a top 25 team become a bubble team after one loss? Does that happen to Maryland, Virginia Tech, or Syracuse?
The Bonnie’s won’t be a bubble team if they win the A10 regular season and don’t have anymore losses to +200 NET teams. Winning the A10 regular season includes wins against the top teams which is what every team has to do for an at large bid. A win against VaTech wouldn’t hurt either.

Maryland, VT and Syracuse will get chances at Q1 wins that hide one bad loss. If they don’t have the Q1 wins I don’t think they’ll get treated any differently than St. Bonaventure. The unfairness in the system is that P5 teams have more opportunities to enhance their NET.
Which is why it's pointless to argue that the NCAA is somehow rigging bids or conspires to keep the "little guy" out.

The Big 12, Big East have it much better than us, but we have it better than virtually all other non-power conferences save the MWC and the WCC some years.

Like it or not, 18-13 in the top league is pretty much the equivalent of going 24-8 in the A10 most years. Q1 losses don't count and Q3/4 games only matter if you lose.

People were dumbfounded when Bona won 25 games in '18 and were relegated to Dayton for the Play-In. I argued with a certain Bona fan that those wins after URI did not enhance our resume, but just kept us in the picture, which proved to be true.

The same could hold true this year if the A10 takes a nose dive, but I think the A10 looks much better than it did in November, so hopefully that does not happen again this year.

421 - 440 of 517 Posts