·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Reactions: BillB

·
Registered
Iona Gaels
430 Posts
Arrr arrgh yarr gar me love craggy historic Jesuit schools. Unfurl the masthead flag and get to cleanin the poopdeck!
If the East Carolina Pirates actually made their players and staff speak like pirates, they'd be my second favorite team.

White Handwriting Organism Mammal Font

·
Registered
132 Posts
I honestly don't know how Schmidt is going to get all of these guards minutes. Marky is starting to do what other coaches have done in the conference and we ripped... recruiting over guys.

I doubt Banks, Flowers and Luc would have transferred to SBU if they were promised 10 minutes a night, and yet one of them will likely be hard pressed to get 10 mins a night assuming DW and KL return. Not to mention this all but seals Brett Rumpel's fate. SBU coerced the kid to skip a prep year to redshirt, and now he gets recruited over and likely shown the door.

The only way they can make this work is if they play a four-guard rotation, and even at that, one of the new guards will see limited minutes.

If we go the four-guard route, that means Evans, JNT and AM will see limited minutes next year, too.

At this point, if we bring in any other PF or C, we almost certainly we see JNT or AM transfer out.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I honestly don't know how Schmidt is going to get all of these guards minutes. Marky is starting to do what other coaches have done in the conference and we ripped... recruiting over guys.

I doubt Banks, Flowers and Luc would have transferred to SBU if they were promised 10 minutes a night, and yet one of them will likely be hard pressed to get 10 mins a night assuming DW and KL return. Not to mention this all but seals Brett Rumpel's fate. SBU coerced the kid to skip a prep year to redshirt, and now he gets recruited over and likely shown the door.

The only way they can make this work is if they play a four-guard rotation, and even at that, one of the new guards will see limited minutes.

If we go the four-guard route, that means Evans, JNT and AM will see limited minutes next year, too.

At this point, if we bring in any other PF or C, we almost certainly we see JNT or AM transfer out.
The ironman crap was never the usual for Schmidt, it became that with the previous group. If anything, it shows that the bench last year just wasnt good because he is completely overhauling it. Everything I have heard about Schmidt is that he is up front about things. Every guy knew how last year was going to go and it is apparent they didnt do anything to force their way into minutes. I can see this year being different and employing more of a solid 8-9 man rotation but if the big 3 are all back, they will get their minutes. Adaway and Holmes' minutes are up for grabs

·
Registered
132 Posts
The ironman crap was never the usual for Schmidt, it became that with the previous group. If anything, it shows that the bench last year just wasnt good because he is completely overhauling it. Everything I have heard about Schmidt is that he is up front about things. Every guy knew how last year was going to go and it is apparent they didnt do anything to force their way into minutes. I can see this year being different and employing more of a solid 8-9 man rotation but if the big 3 are all back, they will get their minutes. Adaway and Holmes' minutes are up for grabs
I get what you're saying, but there's nothing from the past to indicate Lofton and Welch won't play 35 + minutes a night.

Schmidt has always ridden his guards hard in the past, and while I agree last year was a slight outlier, Schmidt has never filled all 13 scholarships or consistently played a deep bench unless guys got hurt. The deepest we ever go is 8 or 9 guys.

Assuming Lofton get 37 mins, Welch gets 35 and OO gets 30, how do you fit the rest of the guys in??

It's not that big of a deal because Bona will likely win a large amount of their games next season, but it's going to be hard to keep these guys happy and retain them. Hopefully the chance at major minutes in 2024 is a major selling point for the new guys, but I doubt any of them came to SBU to ride the pine for a year.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
I haven’t seen it mentioned, so apologies if so, but have Osun, Logtin, and Welch said they are coming back?
Not officially, but that is the expectation. All three are going through the NBA feedback process. In this era, I won’t put their returns in stone until they formally announce it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Didn't realize this forum was out here and so many of my A10 talk friends were already posting on it.

Njlsufan, it's 10 when including their walk on. I't's a lot to process. I can't and don't blame any of the seniors for deciding that a step up in the ranks of the CBB is the best option for them. It's a bonus year, and they all want to develop their skills to ultimately play professionally. Leveling up is a perfectly reasonable way to do that. I'd love for them to be back, and it'll be sad to turn on ESPN and see one of them playing in an SEC or Big East or whatever game, but I wish them nothing but luck.

The sky is falling over on the bona basketball board, but that board is where reason goes to hurl itself off a bridge. The new landscape is going to be a huge challenge, but we're in an exponentially better position to take it on than we were 7 years ago, and these seniors have a lot to do with why.

As far as the exodus of the bench, its frustrating. At the same time, if we trotted any of the 5 bench guys who left into a starting lineup next year, I think we'd be in more trouble than we realistically will be once November comes around. I really wish they'd have stayed for bench minutes, but unfortunately, the promise of staying to develop and earn minutes here and there as your game improves is a dead stick in modern cbb.

·
Piker
11,241 Posts
Over here there are people to cheer you on, as you head down.
Are there? I find that on this site most everyone wants the league to be strong. Good players and good OOC performances coming into league play. Of course there is some back and forth that becomes acrimonious but overall people on this board have a keen understanding of the league and want it to be the best it can be. I know that I do. The Bonnies have brought in some good players. I have a feeling Schmidt will bring in more.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I know it's not 10, but why did so many of the Bonnies enter? I get it with La Salle and the coaching situation, but Schmidt's a very good coach. Is he starting to wear on his players or is it just the new landscape of college basketball?
Not 10 in the portal, but are there only 3 of 13 from last year‘sroster currently on this year‘s roster?

441 - 460 of 466 Posts