Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I don’t know Schmidt obviously, but my observation would have been he wouldn’t raise the needle for the fan bases at P5 schools for the reasons you mentioned. I bet that he could win at Indiana though.
Yes. I’m not saying he wouldn’t succeed, but those fan bases and, frankly, athletic departments, aren’t typically enthused with blue collar grinders like Schmidt.

Even at a place like Indiana, the question would be, “Why isn’t he beating out Kentucky and Duke for top 20 recruits every cycle?”

Also, his time at Bona will likely end with him earning a statue and banner for winningest coach. If he had a similar track record at the aforementioned IU-type, then he wouldn’t last through his first contract. The expectations are that high.

Eventually, one must ask himself when enough cash is enough. If the guy is happy and financially secure, why, at almost 60, disrupt a situation you know is positive for your family?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Schmidt isn’t the type who would come into a new program and instantly restock the roster with Top 75 studs. He’s a long view type, and that takes time. Being that he’s almost 60, I doubt many P5s will be interested in his style. He isn’t exactly the slick talking, back slapping, “networking” type, either.

I would be very surprised—almost shocked—if Schmidt doesn’t end his coaching career at SBU, based on what I’ve heard about him, his family, and recent real estate ventures in the area.
I know he bought a different place at the lake. He's not the one that bought Louis' house overlooking the country club, is he?

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I know he bought a different place at the lake. He's not the one that bought Louis' house overlooking the country club, is he?
I don’t think so. That place is flashy and all, but it’s so out of place in this region. It looks like something Tony Montana would have built on South Beach.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I view Schmidt being too good of a HC for a P5 rebuild. It would be interesting to see if an opportunity like Xavier would peak his interest. He would probably be a really good HC at a number of established B10 and ACC programs as well.
UC needs a new coach.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I don’t think so. That place is flashy and all, but it’s so out of place in this region. It looks like something Tony Montana would have built on South Beach.
I don't mind it. Like all of Magnano's properties, there are garish elements. I think you can work around them. My biggest problem with the place, assuming they got anything close to the asking price, is that the property taxes on the damn thing are going to be north of $30,000 a year.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't mind it. Like all of Magnano's properties, there are garish elements. I think you can work around them. My biggest problem with the place, assuming they got anything close to the asking price, is that the property taxes on the damn thing are going to be north of $30,000 a year.
Can we see what this placed looks like??

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The view is spectacular. But the house itself gives you the feel as if you're in a luxury hotel, not your residence. Even if the exterior didn't look like the old Blue Bird Buslines office complex, it just doesn't come off as "homey". To each their own. Heated driveway IIRC. Which, given the slope, is a must with those Olean metro winters. If you have 7 figures to burn you can get a lot more space and a beautiful house in the greater southern tier and still have 6 figures to buy toys.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Very interesting house. Definitely has that Miami art deco look to it. I grew up in Miami and there was one house on my bus route to school that looked a lot like that.

·
Piker
10,061 Posts
Ya gotta love the offseason.
The pink jacuzzi tub and the luxury of heckling golfers from my balcony has me thinking of moving to Olean. I am a Madison Avenue kind of guy.

Reactions: res

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Alpha Okoli is now leaving SBU. By all accounts, he was beloved by teammates and coaches. Hard working kid. This era STINKS! Still, all best to Alpha. He'll probably head back west.

161 - 180 of 220 Posts