Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Krause picked up the options on Crawford, Fizer and Bagaric it meant that the major reconstruction portion of this five year rebuilding project is over. While nothing is etched in stone, its fairly safe to conclude that the team we'll be watching Wednesday night is the team that's going to have to bring Chicago back into the championship picture.

Cartwright said throughout the preseason that injuries prevented him from establishing a starting lineup and a regular rotation. Well, when all is said and done, and if good health prevails, Cartwright will fullfill Krause's vision of the new dynasty when he starts a lineup that has Williams and Rose in the backcourt, Robinson and Chandler on the wings, and Curry planted firmly in the middle. Donyell Marshall will play an equally key roll as Krause's New Millinium version of Tony Kukoc, winner of the '95/'96 season's Sixth Man Award.

That's it. That's your championship nucleus. Everyone else can officially assume the role of "supporting cast." We will see members of the "SC" come and go while Krause tinkers away season after season. But Williams, Rose, Robinson, Chandler, Curry and Marshall are here to stay.

The Bulls are well over the cap for seasons to come. The days of hoping to add a "full boat" free agent to the mix are over. Krause will do what he does best, indeed what he built his reputation on: tinker.

So now we're going to find out if Krause has made the right decisions over the past five years. Williams, Rose, Robinson, Chandler, Curry and Marshall aren't going anywhere for the next three to five years. It's now time to watch this group develop into a cohesive unit that will challenge for a title one day soon. Williams, Chandler and Curry are the cornerstones upon which Krause has pinned all of his hopes for now and the future. If any one of these three fails to live up to their enormous potential then Krause's plan will have failed and the United Center's ceiling won't be decorated with any championship banners for at least another decade.

So sit back and keep your fingers crossed. It's 1987-'88 all over again when Krause identified Jordan and rookies Pippin and Grant as his cornerstones of the future. While Jay, Tyson and Eddy may be completely different kinds of players than Jordan, Pippin and Grant were 14 years ago, their importance to the success of the franchise now and in the future is every bit as vital. The time for "what if's" is over. The dye is cast. It's up to Cartwright now to bring this group together as quickly as possible. Because whether we like it or not, this is the team we'll be watching for years to come.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I agree about who you say our top 6 are for the future but i wonder where you think trent hassell fits in i think he is here to stay for the long haul-every great team needs players like him, tough defense, unselfish, and a very hard worker, i see him as 7th man with a true backup center included to make a nice 8 man rotation-some combo of crawford and/or fizer should be used to get this- i have advocated PJ Brown in the past but someon like him would be the 8th man

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Great post HJ...kudos..But my "dream" is a little different?

While you are assigning the star status to Jay, Tyson and Eddie, I agree in theory that the stars must be designated to be followed by the supporting cast. I for one, however, am NOT convinced it may be these three, exactly(UNLESS Tyson develops his game in the style of KG or Dirk Nowitzki). Just my hunch and you for sure have more resources than I, BUT, I see one more player brought in who will compete for this star status....one that might just unseat one of those three kids you mentioned. Now, I have to figure out HOW, krause is gonna "tinker" and get that piece. I do believe it is going to be either Tyson or Curry that will fill one of those seats. What I would call the last remaining piece to be discovered will have to be purchased with two, or even three of the players we now have....Fizer, Crawford and either Rose or Marshall. I believe Krause might just go after another MJ type...another sf/sg type.....someone who IS in the league right now...call it dreaming...i do. But, I do call it a possibility also.

I also believe that your post will be validated by february of this year....but then, by that reasoning.....so will mine.

GO BULLS!!!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-nba2002_krauseqa,0,5982524.story

Very interesting Krause interview.
(will need chicagosports passwd. though)

This is actually the longest interview I have read w/ Krause ever. Gotta give Jerry props b/c he 1) admits errors w/ Tim Floyd, 2) shares some fears about Michael, 3) admits some mistakes. I found this interview to be both candid and informative, a great read (for Krause bashers and lovers alike).

Tidbit for discussion....
[Krause]...There was one time in my 17 years here where I didn't go with my guts, and it was a mistake and I agonized about it for too many years afterward.

Q: Can you name that situation?

A: It was a draft situation.

Q: Can you give us a name?

A: No. The player is still active in the league. But I think the situation shows you can get too self-blaming. I don't think I'm insecure. But every human being who is a perfectionist doesn't like to make mistakes.

I'm speculating that this is Steve Francis. Now I doubt Jerry would regret any picks during the championship years b/c well... we were winning rings! But in the 4 years since then, my only guess of picks Jerry would take back (versus taking another player picked later) would be Steve Francis. I would possibly include Darius Miles, but as we know he wasn't available at #4 in 2000. Elton was no slouch (he is a monster statistically), but I think Jerry K realizes Stevie F. is a greater franchise player, and could have turned around the Bulls' fate a lot sooner. That's just my 2 cents.

Peace.

VD

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
Good post, HJ. But it completely discounts two things: trades, and the draft. I expect that the Bulls might have one more lottery pick coming their way next spring (hopefully not more than that), and there's nothing preventing Krause from trading one of the cornerstones (as you put it) for other players of equal or better value (i.e. a Miller for Miles type deal).

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
That is a good discussion topic on what krause's draft mistake that he was referring to was- i dont think it is francis because he now has a similar player in williams only he will be better than francis, but i do wonder who he was referring to- i think it could have been the rumored trade that he did not do that involved us getting 2 draft picks( one of which was going to be McGrady) in exchange for pippen but that is just a guess- looking back we should have done that

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"I'm looking forward to this season probably with more optimism than I've had in several years," general manager Jerry Krause said. "We've turned a corner talent-wise. We now have the ability to compete at a much higher level.

"And we now have a base of talent that you can stay with for quite a while, as we did with our young team 10 years ago."

That pretty much sums up this thread. Krause feel as though the overhaul is complete. Now, on to some fine tuning.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>Vin Diesel</b>!
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-nba2002_krauseqa,0,5982524.story

Very interesting Krause interview.
(will need chicagosports passwd. though)

This is actually the longest interview I have read w/ Krause ever. Gotta give Jerry props b/c he 1) admits errors w/ Tim Floyd, 2) shares some fears about Michael, 3) admits some mistakes. I found this interview to be both candid and informative, a great read (for Krause bashers and lovers alike).

Tidbit for discussion....
[Krause]...There was one time in my 17 years here where I didn't go with my guts, and it was a mistake and I agonized about it for too many years afterward.

Q: Can you name that situation?

A: It was a draft situation.

Q: Can you give us a name?

A: No. The player is still active in the league. But I think the situation shows you can get too self-blaming. I don't think I'm insecure. But every human being who is a perfectionist doesn't like to make mistakes.

I'm speculating that this is Steve Francis. Now I doubt Jerry would regret any picks during the championship years b/c well... we were winning rings! But in the 4 years since then, my only guess of picks Jerry would take back (versus taking another player picked later) would be Steve Francis. I would possibly include Darius Miles, but as we know he wasn't available at #4 in 2000. Elton was no slouch (he is a monster statistically), but I think Jerry K realizes Stevie F. is a greater franchise player, and could have turned around the Bulls' fate a lot sooner. That's just my 2 cents.

Peace.

VD
How about Michael Finley in 1995? We took Jason Caffey with the 20th pick and Phoenix snapped Finley up with the very next selection. If I was Krause, that's a mistake I'd have regretted for years.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HJHJR</b>!Williams, Chandler and Curry are the cornerstones upon which Krause has pinned all of his hopes for now and the future. If any one of these three fails to live up to their enormous potential then Krause's plan will have failed and the United Center's ceiling won't be decorated with any championship banners for at least another decade.
HJ, your post is a great summary of where the Bulls are right now. I was wondering if you could clarify this statement above a bit. Right now, I think a lot of folks have JWill projected as the next Isiah Thomas, Chandler as the next Kevin Garnett, and Curry as the next Shaq. Clearly, we do not need all three of them to reach that "enormous potential" in order to become a championship team.

I think we need one of the three to reach their full potential, one come close, and the third get in the ballpark in order to become a championship-level team. What do you mean by the above statement?

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
That is a good discussion topic on what krause's draft mistake that he was referring to was- i dont think it is francis because he now has a similar player in williams only he will be better than francis, but i do wonder who he was referring to- i think it could have been the rumored trade that he did not do that involved us getting 2 draft picks( one of which was going to be McGrady) in exchange for pippen but that is just a guess- looking back we should have done that
I'm with you, Basghetti. I think the big mistake he's referring to happened before the draft with Brand & Francis (2000). Here's what Krause says right before the part VD quoted:
"I knew in my heart I made a couple of mistakes [on players] and it bothered me for years and years afterward."
It sounds to me like the big mistake was at least a few seasons before that. The Pippen-McGrady trade is quite possibly it. Or maybe when he took Jason Caffey right before Michael Finley in 1995. I'm betting it's one of those two scenarios (if not both!).

edit: Shoot, this is old news. Sorry, I hadn't refreshed the page since HJHJR's first of the 2 posts. My bad. :sleep:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Q: Does it bother you that you don't have a relationship with Michael?

A: I was always afraid that if I kissed Michael, it wouldn't be good. Both of us are extremely combative individuals. And we were more combative with each other than with other people. Do I look back on it and say I could've done it differently? Maybe. Would it have resulted in any more wins? I doubt it. Would it have made me more popular with him? Maybe. But you know something? That wasn't what I was after. I was after winning.

i like the fact that he didnt bow down to MJ

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
how about bj armstrong instead of vlade divac? we would have been able to keep oaktree who jerry kept a picture of in his office all these years

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nater</b>!

It sounds to me like the big mistake was at least a few seasons before that. The Pippen-McGrady trade is quite possibly it. Or maybe when he took Jason Caffey right before Michael Finley in 1995. I'm betting it's one of those two scenarios (if not both!).

I think the whole Pippen/McGrady(+More) non-trade was, IMO, the worst decision Jerry has ever (not) made....

The Finley deal.... I seem to remember Fin not being so highly regarded coming out... Who knew? He was prolly the 5th or 6th best player out of that draft... JK isn't the only one kicking himself on that one...

It is kinda tough to try to pick one or two mistakes in 15+ years.... I'm sure you could make a list of "opps" for every GM in the league...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
i have a question about the pippen-tmac nontrade wasnt there two lottery picks involved- what picks were the two and who were the available guys to choose with the other one- i know mercer was in that draft but who else would we have had to choose from?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
i have a question about the pippen-tmac nontrade wasnt there two lottery picks involved- what picks were the two and who were the available guys to choose with the other one- i know mercer was in that draft but who else would we have had to choose from?
the proposed trade I heard was the #3, #5, some backup center (I can't remember his name) and the option to switch picks next year for Pip, Luc and a second rounder.

Avalible players: KVH, Mercer, McGrady, Tim Thomas, Derek Anderson, Adonal Foyle, Chuncy Billips, Antonio Daniels, Tony Battie, Danny Fortson, Oliver St. Jean (Tariq Abdul-Wahad), & Austin Croshere.

From what I remember, Philly Killed the deal by taking KVH. Krause wanted Van Horne and McGrady. If Philly had taken Billups (as was thought they would)... Who knows what might have happened....

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
From what I've heard Krause never scouted Divac, so I doubt he would have regrets over that one.

Jim Ian is correct about Finley coming out... his production in his senior year declined from his junior year. There were serious questions about his ability to play at the NBA level. Everybody rips on Krause for passing on him (rightly so), but hindsight is always 20/20. I've never heard anything about Krause wanting to take Finley and getting talked out of it (not that that means that couldn't still be who he is referring to).

I doubt it's Brand because that was a very solid pick.

Stacey King was another regrettable pick... could have had Tim Hardaway (among others).

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Jim Ian if you are correct ( and if my memory serves me correct you are) i think we should have done it that 98 lineup would have looked something like this i suppose

Harper,Kerr,Brown
Jordan,McGrady
Kukoc,Burrell,Beuchler
Rodman,Van Horne,Simpkins
Wennington,Caffey,Kleine

We would have been weaker inside without Longley no doubt but we still would have had a good shot at champs plus have a better future so i see why krause regrets this

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Jim Ian if you are correct ( and if my memory serves me correct you are) i think we should have done it that 98 lineup would have looked something like this i suppose

Harper,Kerr,Brown
Jordan,McGrady
Kukoc,Burrell,Beuchler
Rodman,Van Horne,Simpkins
Wennington,Caffey,Kleine

We would have been weaker inside without Longley no doubt but we still would have had a good shot at champs plus have a better future so i see why krause regrets this

The only addition I would make is i *beileve* we signed Brian Williams (aka Bison Dele) that year, and I *believe* the deal had us recieving a center from the Celitcs.

Yes, we would have been weak inside.... But I can see us playing a lot of "small ball" (Harper/Jordan/Kukoc/Van Horne/Rodman)... Since McGrady prolly would not have contributed much til his 2nd or 3rd year.... (maybe faster with Jordan tutoring him though....)

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kneepad</b>!
I've never heard anything about Krause wanting to take Finley and getting talked out of it (not that that means that couldn't still be who he is referring to).
I guess that the slant I've always heard given to that story is that Krause was opposed to drafting local kids. It all resurfaced again before the 2001 draft, in which, by drafting Eddy Curry, Krause did one of two things:
1) Proved the theory wrong, or
2) Changed his policy.

:grinning:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts