Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to go highbrow here, but let's start with a quote from my favorite 20th century atomic physicist, Niels Bohr, who must have been inhabited by the future ghost of Yogi Berra when he said, "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future."

For any NBA writer (such as this one) who predicted that the Bulls' Ben Gordon would be the league's Rookie of the Year, Bohr's thought was especially poignant in the first weeks of the season. Because early on, Gordon had about as much chance at winning Rookie of the Year as Bohr did.

That Gordon, the third pick in last year's draft, was undersized (6-3, 200) and a defensive liability at shooting guard was no surprise. But no one knew Gordon would look so clueless offensively. He was miserable in the preseason, shooting 24.7 percent. He was worse in the Bulls' opener, shooting 0-for-6. In his first 17 games, Gordon shot 38.0 percent, averaged 10.5 points and had every atom of his confidence shaken.

"I couldn't shoot," Gordon says. "But I couldn't figure out why, either. It was frustrating."

Slowly, Gordon has emerged. Since those woeful first 17 games, Gordon has averaged 16.0 points on 43.7 percent shooting. His 41.4 percent shooting from the 3-point line ranks 15th in the league.

But it's not the turnaround in stats that has been most impressive, and focusing on the numbers does not do justice to just how good Gordon has been -- he does not play many minutes (24.0), after all, and he commits too many turnovers (2.3 per game). What separates Gordon is that he is a fourth quarter scoring machine, a clutch-shooting security blanket for the young Bulls.

Guess who leads the league (not just rookies) in double-digit fourth quarter scoring efforts. Kobe? Iverson? McGrady? No. It's Gordon, who has done it 20 times.

These are not stat-padding shots, either. Ask the Knicks. In January, Gordon scored 14 points in the fourth, leading the Bulls back from a nine-point deficit against New York; two days later, he made a one-handed running jumper over Mike Sweetney with 0.1 seconds left, beating the Knicks again.

"Some of the shots he has made, especially in the fourth quarter, are unbelievable," Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich says. "I don't know where we'd be without him."

A standard comparison of Gordon's numbers to other top rookies shows that he should finish third for Rookie of the Year -- top pick Dwight Howard is averaging 11.0 points and 10.1 rebounds, and No. 2 pick Emeka Okafor is putting up 14.9 points and 10.7 rebounds. No rookie has a better scoring average than Gordon's 14.9, but his other averages, 2.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists, are mundane. For much of the year, the rookie race has been Okafor vs. Howard, with Okafor leading.

But give the award to Gordon, who will turn 22 on April 4. Throw out standard comparisons. What matters is that the Bulls have become a dangerous team, one likely headed for the playoffs, and it's because of Gordon. Sure, there is a list of reasons for the Bulls' success -- the young core, production from veterans, Scott Skiles' coaching -- but none is more important than Gordon, who brings a late-game confidence young teams usually lack. Already, Gordon has led the Bulls to 12 wins with double-digit fourth quarter scoring. That's 12 wins the Bulls might not have gotten otherwise -- 12 wins that have them in the thick of the Eastern Conference playoff race. Perhaps they could have won those games without Gordon. Of course, no one would have predicted such a thing -- but then, predictions can be difficult.

make that 21 times! :yes:

The Sporting News

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I'd be happy to see a repeat of the 99/00 season when Brand and Francis shared the award. I think Gordon and Okafor are both deserving.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yeah but we were ranked on par with the expansion Bobcats coming into the season and after a 0 - 9 start we are within a bees dick of the 4th seed

Gordon has been the difference

Most double digit 4th quarter performances ... as a Rookie ?

That's flat out crazy

I'm with Pip .. Gordon deserves Rookie of the year and the 6th man award to boot

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'd vote Gordon and Okafor as co-ROY and give Gordon 6th man of the year.

Can you imagine if Gordon goes white-hot like tonight in one of our playoff games? Think the UC would wake up and notice? :redface: Thats probably the problem with the UC, they only notice extraordinary things and they appear comotose for everything else.

When is the team or media going to come up with a nickname for Gordon? Will it be Air Gordon, Flash Gordon, Ben Gordon IV? Act IV?

Anybody believe we're becoming more of a lock to get out of the first round? We're getting a nice confidence booster down the stretch with this easy schedule. Will that carry into the playoffs or will we get a reality check?

Think TNT just got a nice lead-in for tonights game?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I like Omeka and Howard, but when they carry their teams to victory, then they can be considered ROY favorites in my book. Omeka should be putting up numbers on that team. In fact, I'm somewhat disappointed that he's not scoring more. The Magic's frontline that Howard is playing on is not exactly the 86 Celtics either. In the long run Howard might be the best player, but right now, Ben gets the nod in my biased opinion.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Mr. T said:
I'd vote Gordon and Okafor as co-ROY and give Gordon 6th man of the year.

Can you imagine if Gordon goes white-hot like tonight in one of our playoff games? Think the UC would wake up and notice? :redface: Thats probably the problem with the UC, they only notice extraordinary things and they appear comotose for everything else.

When is the team or media going to come up with a nickname for Gordon? Will it be Air Gordon, Flash Gordon, Ben Gordon IV? Act IV?

Anybody believe we're becoming more of a lock to get out of the first round? We're getting a nice confidence booster down the stretch with this easy schedule. Will that carry into the playoffs or will we get a reality check?

Think TNT just got a nice lead-in for tonights game?

I'd as soon keep calling him Gentle Ben if that gets him up more for the games.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
How about this for a nickname.

You better quadruple team me cuz otherwise its going in the HOLE"

It would be perfect for the UC's promotions.

Ben Gordon's ******* night.

Ben Gordon's Donut HOLEs night.

Ben Gordon and Trojan Man present Dick in HOLE night, with a condom.

The endless possibilities of the hole.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
sloth said:

And Disney promotions

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
surprise! jason kidd respectfully disagrees!

Last week, my friend Scottie Pippen came out and said that Ben Gordon should be the Rookie of the Year.

Sorry, but Charlotte's Emeka Okafor is the best choice for this season’s got milk? Rookie of the Year. Take it from me, I’ve won the award before and I know that Emeka’s all-around contributions – not just scoring – are what it takes to win the top honor.

C’mon, Scottie. I know you’re biased, being a former Bull and all. Look at it from an unbiased opinion and realize that Emeka is the Rookie of the Year. I think he’s going to be a very good player in this league and I can easily see him as the cornerstone of this franchise.

i wonder if the bobcats paid him to say this.

http://www.nba.com/features/okafor_050331_roy.html

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
sloth said:

:whofarted:

It's just that you didn't capitalize the last 'hole'...I guess.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
mizenkay said:
surprise! jason kidd respectfully disagrees!
Wow, Jason Kidd's a regular poet, too.

:eek8:

How do you think he writes these things? Does he just talk to some ghostwriter on the phone for three minutes? Or does he have an editor at NBA.com that's coming down hard on him while he paces the floor in search of the perfect word?

It's really hard to argue against Emeka for Rookie of the Year. At the same time, it's hard to imagine Ben not being this year's best rookie after seeing some of his amazing displays...and Dwight Howard really gets left in the cold with a Co-ROY scenario.

I'd hope for the Co-ROY if anything...but Ben is clearly the frontrunner for sixth man, imo.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jnrjr79 said:
Not a dime. In Jason's twisted little mind, he thinks that somehow this is related to his blood hatred of Skiles.

:laugh: well, yeah. i shoulda put that part in green.

i too imagined jason sitting there twirling his imaginary snidely whiplash mustache as he "penned" this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts