Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The clippers should not be pressured

I agree, but with some comments. First, regarding Dre, he had a great year last year. But will he be consistent or was it another example of a player with a one-on-a lifetime year? Plus, he is not a good scorer. So look at who he has to send assists to..Miles, who is a horrid shooter....Kandi with his 10 or 11 points per game...Davis is by far the perfect fit for the Clips....Now, after knowing who the #8 and #12 picks are, we are sooooooo lucky that the trade for Dre never happened. We would have given up way too much with those two and either Odom or Miles...Do you really think Odom is the answer at pg? Do you really think he has the necessary discipline to run the team? I question that in a big way, as he has not shown the discipline to guarantee he will remain in the league with his history.....Now for something noone has touched on yet.. Jerry West has just signed Earl Watson and professes to be sky-high on him...The Grizzlies have an enormous logjam at that position even without him. This obviously was done with trading posibilities in mind for West to build the winner he wants. He will not be content to just add Gooden to last year's team....How about this one, guys...Odom for Jayson Williams and a draft pick...Williams would be fun with the young flyers we have such as Miles, maggette, Brand, et al....Maybe we could throw in another player to ensure that the pick is a #1 like Rooks......That gives Jerry a potentially great SF to go with the potentially great PF he drafted....This is Jerry's style and we get an exciting pg.......Just a new thought for us to discuss.........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clippers pressure

BJ

I respect your judgement as your past posts show you to be knowledgeable....But the question is, what makes the team better in the long run....If we can get a solid pg and a 1st round pick (in the lottery for Lebron), that is worth something....We have enough SF players in Miles and Magette but we are unproven with Jaric and Dooling....I think, though not sure, that we do NOT have a #1 pick for next year...Don't we owe it to Orlando or someone else? We always want to keep young blood coming to improve the team, and if we can do that and land a quality pg then I would do it....I guess I am not sold on Odom being ready to lead our team at pg or even at SM He is a major risk...I also believe that the day will come soon when we will have to decide which one, Odom or Miles, will we give a big contract to...Sterling will not pay both big money, we know that....So the time is now for a trade....Would I prefer BD...Yes, in a heartbeat....But getting BD will take more than Odom...We would have to give up at least Wilcox (a future star) as well. I like Wilcox backing up Brand, and Ely backing up Kandi, and Maggette backing up Miles. I do not want to lose Odom AND Wilcox for BD....I would rather have Williams and a #1 then lose multiple players and have no draft pick next year.....If we keep Odom and Miles, it will be temporary and will take away from Maggette's development.............

On another note, I keep reading how all the fans love Miles....He is exciting, especially around the rim. But this is a small forward who is a horrid shooter...No touch at all, no shot.....Don't we expect a small forward to be a shooter?...Maybe we should keep the unpredictable Odom and trade Miles?....I said MAYBE...Only want to keep the discussion going....Who would you keep, fans...Miles or Odom....Personally, I think Odom is a more complete player....but an incomplete person, as history has shown. Can a leopard really change his spots? Does anyone believe that Odom is a solid person who will never again do drugs? Boy, the Clips sure make it interesting for us, don't they?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree that Williams may be a risk. It was only a thought. I do think we need to get rid of Odom and have a team with character, not a team with characters. I also do not want to be without a first round pick for next year. On top of that, I do not want to trade away our depth. We need Wilcox. I think Maggette is worth keeping as he is a SF backup who could easily give us insurance in case of injury to our 2G position. So I think Odom is the odd man out. But I am not opposed to seeing if he can be the pg. I doubt it. He has nice ball skills for a forward, but I do not see him as a pg. I hope he surprises me and dominates the position. I would LOVE to see a trade of Odom and Dooling for BD or even Dre. It may not happen but with time those two teams are going to feel pressure to make a deal. I just hope that BD stays firm with his comments about wanting to play in LA or NY.........Then we are one hell of an exciting team with the only serious weakness being age and experience!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
clips pressure

I think Kandi is one of the weakest #1 overall picks in NBA history. Even in the other conference he will not get 20 points a game. I would do your trade in a minute. I would love to see Baron Davis shooting and passing the Clips to the playoffs. I also think Ely has a tremendous future with his wide body, intensity, and shooting ability. He would match the stats that Kandi put up this year. I would pray for that trade and it is a good one for both teams. I think with Campbell, Rooks, and Ely, someone would emerge to equal Kandi's contribution.........But as for the second trade, I would never do that one! Wilcox is the real deal, and next year's pick from that trade may give us less of a player....Plus Magette is a versatile player for the Clips, even though he is a "tweener".............But if you trade Kandi, you better sell Brand on why and the value of BD...Brand has publically said that he wants to see what Sterling does to reward Kandi and his future on the team may be based on that.....Sterling has proven to be only money motivated, and the hell with us, the fans. So this group of young talent may disappear over the next few years anyway.....But your first trade is an interesting one that IMO I would do if I were Baylor.

Good Job!

·
Registered
13 Posts
clips pressure

Your thoughts are interesting and well thought out...However, I would not trade Wilcox as I think he will be a force someday....If Brand ever got hurt, and we were using Ely as a center, we would have a problem......I know in that instance you could play Odom and Miles as SM and PF, but there is noone to come off the bench when needed and that would cost us alot of games....I, for one, would prefer to keep the quality of depth we have in Wilcox and Maggette, though I would not hesitate to make the trade for Baron D that you suggested.........Well, why not trade just have one trade of Miles or Odom and Dooling for BD? That way we keep all the depth, Maggette steps in to back up the SM that we keep (Miles or Odom) and we can play with anyone....NO then picks up a pg and also a star SF..............Just a thought....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.