Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Clippers are off to a great start this year, leading the western conference since day one. They have the most underrated bench in the league, allowing injuries to heal and starters to rest as long as needed. But the real difference is their clutch play by Sam Cassell and Elton Brand quietly playing the best basketball of his career. Maggette returned to small forward without missing a beat and the extremely talented Shaun Livingston has yet to even play a game. The Clippers are well above average at every position, play great as a unit and will win the Pacific Division title this year.

Golden State snuck up on a lot of teams last year after the Baron Davis trade, but this year they won't be fooling anyone. Davis will absolutely need to be healthy all year long and overachieve as well. Because except for Richardson, everyone else is underachieving. Adonal Foyle and Mike Dunleavy will have to play as well as they get paid if the Warriors are going to sneak into the playoffs. The 7th & 8th spots are just way too competitive for the Warriors to make the playoffs.

The Lakers should pretty much give up on the idea of Kwame Brown ever becoming any sort of quality player, he'll be a pile of crap for the rest of his career. But otherwise, the team isn't too bad, Phil Jackson always manages to find a role for even the most limited of players. But Lamar Odom cannot be counted on to lead the team if Kobe goes down. Phil's role players should be able to step up their games just enough for Kobe to get the Lakers to the 8th spot on willpower alone.

Phoenix still has a great offense, and a marginally better defense, but they are not the offensive juggernaut they were last year. Amare will change that, but he won't realistically be at full strength for about 6 months. Steve Nash gets doubled at the end of games, because there is no post player for him to pass to. They will struggle in clutch situations, so most of their wins must come from blowing out their opponents for now. But after getting it together late in the season, they'll still end up a 5-8 seed and will be a 1st round nightmare match-up.

Sacramento has very good starting talent, but they're nothing but passive players like Peja, Miller and Abdur-Rahim. Until they develop a develop an edge like the Kings of a few years ago (remember when they used to average 105+ppg?), Bibby's clutch-ness will go to waste as many games won't even be close. Their complete lack of decent bench players will wear the starters out by season's end and they'll have missed the playoffs.

So unless some big trade takes place, at this point the Clippers should easily be a top 3 seed come playoff time!

·
Registered
111 Posts
with the kings in a slump with peja "i cant do anything in the fourth period" and suns wiht a mediocre start w/o amare, clippers are the best in the pacific right now, but i think suns will find a way to come back and take the division, finally clippers will make playoffs

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Anyone can win this division, even the Kings. The Clippers do however look to have the best opportunity. I haven't watched any of the Clips games this season but the stat-line looked solid.

But like some said, it is still too early to tell.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Come on, Suns still has the best chance IMO even without Amare.

We don't have very good start now (2-3) but we weren't getting blown out every game. If you watched Suns' game, you'll know that this team is still very good.

Sure, we lost Pistons but we didn't lose the game until the very last 1min and Pistons is hot right now. We just need to find a way to close out games without Amare.

Clipper has a great start though.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
leidout said:
The Clippers are off to a great start this year, leading the western conference since day one. They have the most underrated bench in the league, allowing injuries to heal and starters to rest as long as needed. But the real difference is their clutch play by Sam Cassell and Elton Brand quietly playing the best basketball of his career. Maggette returned to small forward without missing a beat and the extremely talented Shaun Livingston has yet to even play a game. The Clippers are well above average at every position, play great as a unit and will win the Pacific Division title this year.

Golden State snuck up on a lot of teams last year after the Baron Davis trade, but this year they won't be fooling anyone. Davis will absolutely need to be healthy all year long and overachieve as well. Because except for Richardson, everyone else is underachieving. Adonal Foyle and Mike Dunleavy will have to play as well as they get paid if the Warriors are going to sneak into the playoffs. The 7th & 8th spots are just way too competitive for the Warriors to make the playoffs.

The Lakers should pretty much give up on the idea of Kwame Brown ever becoming any sort of quality player, he'll be a pile of crap for the rest of his career. But otherwise, the team isn't too bad, Phil Jackson always manages to find a role for even the most limited of players. But Lamar Odom cannot be counted on to lead the team if Kobe goes down. Phil's role players should be able to step up their games just enough for Kobe to get the Lakers to the 8th spot on willpower alone.

Phoenix still has a great offense, and a marginally better defense, but they are not the offensive juggernaut they were last year. Amare will change that, but he won't realistically be at full strength for about 6 months. Steve Nash gets doubled at the end of games, because there is no post player for him to pass to. They will struggle in clutch situations, so most of their wins must come from blowing out their opponents for now. But after getting it together late in the season, they'll still end up a 5-8 seed and will be a 1st round nightmare match-up.

Sacramento has very good starting talent, but they're nothing but passive players like Peja, Miller and Abdur-Rahim. Until they develop a develop an edge like the Kings of a few years ago (remember when they used to average 105+ppg?), Bibby's clutch-ness will go to waste as many games won't even be close. Their complete lack of decent bench players will wear the starters out by season's end and they'll have missed the playoffs.

So unless some big trade takes place, at this point the Clippers should easily be a top 3 seed come playoff time!
I am amazed that Suns is still scoring 110+ per game. Shooting % is high and defense....well, we still have very bad defensive rebounds. Our bigs are quite short and slow/old. Yeah, we need Amare of course. :D

We have like 5-6 new faces this year. I'll give them time to gel. So far, Kurt/Brian are not fitting in well. Their reaction speed is like 0.5s behind Nash. Time will tell.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
its possible....
but it really all depends if the kings can get their act together and if the suns surprise again.
the clips had a good start last year, so did the raps, but having a good start doesnt guarantee anything.
ill wait and see b4 making a conclusion.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would like to see the Clippers win the division, but I dont think it will happen. they are the Clippers and they will find a way to lose 18 out of 20 games at one point during the season. plus they havent had to play any of the really good western teams thus far. I do however think they might pose a threat to somone like Memphis, Golden State or Denver for one of the last playoff spots in the west.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
ralaw said:
Isn't the Clippers and winning an oxymoron?
Nah, Clippers and playoffs is an oxymoron. They can beat lottery teams up and down the floor. 5-1 against 6 lottery teams baby. Now they need to figure out a way to play all 82 against lottery teams, and figure a way to play 27 of their 82 against the Atlanta Hawks.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Nah, Clippers and playoffs is an oxymoron. They can beat lottery teams up and down the floor. 5-1 against 6 lottery teams baby. Now they need to figure out a way to play all 82 against lottery teams, and figure a way to play 27 of their 82 against the Atlanta Hawks.
LOL at that. sure like to see the Clippers make the playoffs.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jibikao said:
I am amazed that Suns is still scoring 110+ per game. Shooting % is high and defense....well, we still have very bad defensive rebounds. Our bigs are quite short and slow/old. Yeah, we need Amare of course. :D

We have like 5-6 new faces this year. I'll give them time to gel. So far, Kurt/Brian are not fitting in well. Their reaction speed is like 0.5s behind Nash. Time will tell.
I know, i totally believe by playoff time, the suns will be beasts again. I just think they'll hover around .500 until Amare comes back, then dominate again. They are not gonna rush Amare back for sure, he's their franchise player, but i don't think they'll get it together quick enough to win the Pacific. But they will definitely be in the playoffs like i said, and probably win their first rounder against whoever is unfortunate enough to be matched up against them.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
some idiots still rely on the past, :no: got there heads so deep in there asses they don't realize how the past has little to nothing to do anything with this year . . . i feel bad for em who kno nuttin and rely on the past for there damn opinions

back to the topic: as long as Suns stay within 5-7 games of the division leader by the time Amare returns, they should take it . . . if Amare is not to return, then Nash and Marion will need alot of production from everyone else

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:

Finally someone brings this up

W- @Seattle= 101-93
W- Atlanta= 92-77
W- Minnesota= 100-99
L- @Minnesota= 78-93
W- @Washington= 102-97
W- @Atlanta= 102-95

It's nice that they're winning, but beating Atlanta twice, and Seattle once is nothing to brag about.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
qrich1fan said:
some idiots still rely on the past, :no: got there heads so deep in there asses they don't realize how the past has little to nothing to do anything with this year . . . i feel bad for em who kno nuttin and rely on the past for there damn opinions

back to the topic: as long as Suns stay within 5-7 games of the division leader by the time Amare returns, they should take it . . . if Amare is not to return, then Nash and Marion will need alot of production from everyone else
LOL too bad Patchwork was pointing out the present: the Clippers have played an easy schedule so far.

P.S. Before you ask me to get my head out of my ***, I think they will make the playoffs as the Pacific is much weaker then it has been in the past

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
First the Sonics played hard in that first game. They werent the same team that they are now, they didn't lack confidence in that game and they played well.
Second how the hell do you call the Wizards a lottery team? Didn't 'they win games in the playoffs last year? We beat them at home and they were undefeated.
Third the Wolves are not a lock to be a lottery team, they have been playing very good to start the year two of their games could have easily gone their way and you all would be talking about how great KG is and how he is gonna single handedly get them into the playoffs.

The Hawks definetely aren't good, but its never easy to get the second of a back to back on the road no matter who your playing. Why dont you ask the Pistons tonight. I dont think anybody thought they would have the lead with 3min left in the third quarter.

So keep bringing the excuses, and we'll keep bringing our win total up.

Oh yeah I like the way you keep saying its too early to judge, but then you judge other teams and even entire divisions. I forgot who is weak in the Pacific? The Kings? By your own words .. its too early to determine.
Just give credit where its due. Our starting PG and SG are in their first year with the team and we have started Q Ross a second year player at SF and we're winning. We played the first 4 games without our leading scorer from last year and our PG of the future.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts