Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumor mill CofC amd Davidson and Albany to CAA.What next?I guess PL will move at its normal pace, but the window for a new full member may close quickly. I know we have gone over both here amd on AGS every possible school . which of them will a ctually do the move by 2014?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Albany and SBU are joining the CAA for football only! Which is great news as it keeps UNH in the CAA for football!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't sure of SB. Is that it for football? Bball unsettled? Will that shake up CAA?So many rumors so little time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe if CofC and Davidson join, it will be for every sport but football (no football at CofC and Davidson wants to compete at a lower level), while Albany and SBU will be football-only. Right now Davidson hasn't given any indication of a desire to move but CofC seems like more of a sure thing for the CAA. Only time will tell. Still secretly hoping Davidson decides the PL is for them, although geographically it seems like an impossibility (one of their biggest hurdles for the CAA from what I understand is travel costs for olympic sports, and I don't think the PL would be any better and they'd be getting less of a payout from basketball).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Davidson and PL not a fit for all sports member which is PL priority. Bball only? Perhaps a tad bettet than CAA costwisr but agree payouts s/ b better in CAA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The next seismic shift is initiated by the CAA by the end of the summer. If the rumors UA and SBU moving to the CAA in fb materialize, you have to wonder whether UNH has less motivation to move to the P.L.. If UNH is out of the picture for fb, it would make P.L. fb expansion anyone's guess, IMHO. There's a possibility of other A.E. members for P.L. all sports member if de-stabilized by anticipation of UA and SBU ultimate moves to CAA all-sports ? But, who would fit ? CAA offers to Socon members have less impact on P.L.options cuz travel ( P.L. -Socon ) is undesirable. If P.L. is aiming for a good expansion member in f.b., then allowing f.b. schollies to have their impact over several years may make the P.L. more desirable. P.L. laying in the weeds doing nothing is a viable option, as well.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The next seismic shift is initiated by the CAA by the end of the summer. If the rumors UA and SBU moving to the CAA in fb materialize, you have to wonder whether UNH has less motivation to move to the P.L.. If UNH is out of the picture for fb, it would make P.L. fb expansion anyone's guess, IMHO. There's a possibility of other A.E. members for P.L. all sports member if de-stabilized by anticipation of UA and SBU ultimate moves to CAA all-sports ? But, who would fit ? CAA offers to Socon members have less impact on P.L.options cuz travel ( P.L. -Socon ) is undesirable. If P.L. is aiming for a good expansion member in f.b., then allowing f.b. schollies to have their impact over several years may make the P.L. more desirable. P.L. laying in the weeds doing nothing is a viable option, as well.
UNH has no motitivation in joining the PL for FB as adding Albany and SBU along with Maine and now talk of URI deciding to stay in the CAA for football gives them a Northern division and the opportunity to play FCS football at the highest level in the best conference. If this did not happen the PL might have very well been a possibility for UNH.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It makes way too much sense for SBU and UA to play fb wherever Maine and UNH play, whoever is the league administrator. The PL has just taken on Boston University, and while a tenth, likely fb-playing member would make an inordinate amount of sense to add, the CAA seems to be the one on the clock. The AE has too much at stake in losing a single all-sports member so I expect the SBU or UA announcements would be football-only and that the Patriot League is looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It makes way too much sense for SBU and UA to play fb wherever Maine and UNH play, whoever is the league administrator. The PL has just taken on Boston University, and while a tenth, likely fb-playing member would make an inordinate amount of sense to add, the CAA seems to be the one on the clock. The AE has too much at stake in losing a single all-sports member so I expect the SBU or UA announcements would be football-only and that the Patriot League is looking elsewhere.
Just give it 5 years and the CAA will be right back where it started when JMU, Delaware or someone else moves to FBS and then Villanova and Richmond may become available as affiliates. I think the PL should just wait for now. Seems like a very stable league in an unstable environment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts