Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
14,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to run a new thing in this forum (i know it has being layed in a personal forum or two...).

This is how it goes, peeps: remember that particular poster who brags about/disses a certain player in an awfull amount of threads and you want to put him in his place (whilst wanting to turn his face into a bloody pulp)? Well, i'm trying to provide the place for a no-holds-barred player/team/coach discussion.

This is how it goes:

- If you want to challenge a particular poster towards a particular theme, you can call him out here;
- If he agrees to the debate, i'll start a new thread with your names on it and the theme;
- One post per turn;
- There will be a poll available if peeps what to vote for the side of the argument;
- No time/post limit for the debate. It ends when you want to.

What do you think? Anyone interested?

· Registered
198 Posts
There are two rather glaring problems with this:

First, online arguments rarely if ever change the minds involved. I think the reason why people engage in discussions online is to educate the people who aren't doing the arguing simply because you're almost never going to get a concession like, "You're right and I'm wrong." It just doesn't happen in an atmosphere like this. That's why the poll system isn't going to work- people have an idea and find it very difficult to be persuaded that the idea is false.

Second, arguing should never be about the people- it should be about the issue. Cramming all the animosity into what seems to be a big showdown/arena kind of thing is just going to get people heated up. I think that, while some posters really should stop posting until they get their heads together, creating this sort of thing is just going to end in a lot of animosity.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
D.J. said:
I like the idea. If anyone needs an opponent, I'm ready.
Ok, your from New York, you defend how the great the Knicks are and I'll bash them to the bone. :rofl:

· Registered
1,642 Posts
D.J. said:
I'm not a Knick fan, I'm a Net fan.
I was only joking, there is no way anyone can win a debate defending the Knicks

· Registered
14,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ralaw said:
The criteria involved for the MVP vote has turned the award into a joke. I am tired of seeing these transient players in Nash, Dirk and Billups being among the top players of who receive votes.
I wouldn't want to get myself in this do pronto, but if you are defending that Steve Nash is not worthy of MVP consideration, i'll defend him to the bone...

· Registered
4,987 Posts
PauloCatarino said:
I wouldn't want to get myself in this do pronto, but if you are defending that Steve Nash is not worthy of MVP consideration, i'll defend him to the bone...
Honestly my opinion is less about Steve Nash and more about Dirk and Billups. The only real reason I mentioned Nash was to incite someone, I honestly couldn't defend a rational of him not being worthy of the MVP due to his level of play and impact this year.

· Registered
4,149 Posts
well i constantly go to the dallas forum to talk about josh howard & not their team.. one might mistake me for a dallas fan, but i spend most of my time on toronto's board. i doubt Dallas fans however, would see ne problems with my josh howard comments and support, and if you don't know who josh howard is, i suggest you pay attention, cuz dude will start getting ALOT more attention very soon.

· Registered
14,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, no contestants?

Hmmm... I have to say i'm a bit disappointed...

Let me throw some themes around, to see if they catch on: ;)

- Lebron is overhyped;
- KG is a loser;
- T-Mac will be a footnote in 00's Nba legacy;
- Kobe is the MVP / The Devil;
- Isiah is a genious / a duma55;
- Nash is the MVP;
- Jermaine O'Neal is not a franchise player;
- Shaq is done.

Well?

· Registered
4,241 Posts
Let's see.

- Lebron is overhyped;
He's definitely living up to the hype.

- KG is a loser;
You can't criticize the guy for losing with that team around him.

- T-Mac will be a footnote in 00's Nba legacy;
I don't think he'll be just a footnote, but his career as a Kobe Bryant-level guard is probably over.

- Kobe is the MVP / The Devil;
No to both.

- Isiah is a genious / a duma55;
Definitely the latter.

- Nash is the MVP;
If he got it last year, it'd be hypocritical not to give it to him this year.

- Jermaine O'Neal is not a franchise player;
Agreed.

- Shaq is done.
His days as the most dominant player in the game are over, but he's far from "done."

· Premium Member
21,860 Posts
osprey said:
I was only joking, there is no way anyone can win a debate defending the Knicks
Depends what you're trying to defend.

If you said they didn't have a coach, I could probably argue that. Malik is on the team afterall. Spike Lee as the assistance.

· Registered
4,383 Posts
southeasy said:
well i constantly go to the dallas forum to talk about josh howard & not their team.. one might mistake me for a dallas fan, but i spend most of my time on toronto's board. i doubt Dallas fans however, would see ne problems with my josh howard comments and support, and if you don't know who josh howard is, i suggest you pay attention, cuz dude will start getting ALOT more attention very soon.
hell ya, J Ho is awesome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.