Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you hopeful that backcourt will break out?
“Of course, I am hopeful. Kirk, I don't get too concerned about his shooting right now because number one, he is a rookie, number two, it is late in the season. He does so much for us. He is all over the place guarding. Last night he was guarding 4 or 5 guys on the same possession, being active and helping. He is our best defensive player. He brings so much energy, I don't get too concerned about him.”

This is in essence why Skiles and Paxson for that matter are so high on Kirk and not on Jamal. Kirk can have a bad shooting night and still have an enormous effect on the game. When the shot is not there for Jamal everything else suffers. Question is can Jamal improve on that or is this mostly a matter of style of play differences between the two?

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>IntheBlinkofaDeng</b>!

This is in essence why Skiles and Paxson for that matter are so high on Kirk and not on Jamal. Kirk can have a bad shooting night and still have an enormous effect on the game. When the shot is not there for Jamal everything else suffers. Question is can Jamal improve on that or is this mostly a matter of style of play differences between the two?
Thats funny, I didn't see Skiles even say anything about Crawford.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The question was about our backcourt yet Skiles proceeds to rave about Kirk despite a bad shooting night but does not even mention Crawford. I remember an old saying if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all. Seems like that is what is going on here.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
The question was about our backcourt yet Skiles proceeds to rave about Kirk despite a bad shooting night but does not even mention Crawford. I remember an old saying if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all. Seems like that is what is going on here.
or he chose this particular instance to say some nice things about Kirk. I guess people will read what they want to read.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Phil Jackson On the Bulls' play:
"I'm impressed with their guard play and with how Chandler performed tonight. He played a steady game defensively. He caused some of our passing to be suspect at times. We kept them in the game most of tonight with our turnovers and inconsistent play."
blinkofabasghetti: so just because skiles doesn't mention jamal in his answer how is that pointing out the difference between them. i think you are reading into it a little.

besides, this jamal vs. kirk. stuff is so ancient at this point dontcha think?

hey, phil was impressed with them both.

:)

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mizenkay you are right. It is just I am so frustrated by Crawford. Obviously there is talent there but not much else. 4 years into the league and he is still skinny as a rail, basketball IQ is still really low, and outside of putting big scoring numbers up about every 5th game or so what does he bring to the table? His mentality as a basketball players is just something I can't seem to get over. Way too nonchalant for me.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I agree with Ace20004u on this one. Skiles talked about Kirk and nothing was said about Jamal. This thread is a real stretch.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Mizenkay you are right. It is just I am so frustrated by Crawford. Obviously there is talent there but not much else. 4 years into the league and he is still skinny as a rail, basketball IQ is still really low, and outside of putting big scoring numbers up about every 5th game or so what does he bring to the table? His mentality as a basketball players is just something I can't seem to get over. Way too nonchalant for me.
Crawford has added probably 10-12lbs of muscle last offseason. Crawford was mentioned as one of the players that showed up at the Berto and worked more than anyone else during the offseason. Previous offseasons were spent working with Gary Payton in Seattle. Crawford came back from his ACL injury early. Crawford is one of the few Bulls who appreciates the history of the NBA and loves watching old tapes of the NBA, in fact, he wears his headband in tribute to Slick Watts. I think Jamal has a very good basketball IQ. I do think sometimes he gets frustrated when he looks out on the floor and sees AD, Linton Johnson, Ronald Dupree, and JYD. Whats he suppossed to do? Sure, he trys to make more happen than he should but thats the hand he has been dealt. I'd bet hard cash that if you transplanted Jamal onto a roster that had better NBA talent he would thrive. He would look great in Miami, or Cleveland, or even the Clippers. And even when Jamal doesn't score he generally helps out with his assists and such. I think it is easy to forget that Jamal isn't a finished product yet. I think Jamal is a LOT less "non chalant" than you give him credit for. Haven't you ever seen him talking with Skiles or yelling at players to get into the right spots? Or talking to someone after a missed defensive assignment? Saying the right things to the media? I would guess that his frustration at playing on a really BAD team is the only thing that would ever make him appear "non chalant".

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Re: Re: The difference between Kirk and Jamal according to Skiles

Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!

Thats funny, I didn't see Skiles even say anything about Crawford.
I know. Jamal should be embarrassed that all those superlatives are mentioned and his name doesn't even come up to take hold of one of them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
if hinrich is the bulls best defensive player, how come he didn't guard kobe?? i can only think of two reasons....

1) he isn't that great defensively
2) skiles is a moron
3) jamal is better defender than hinrich

I know many of you don't think its option #3....so it should be 1 or 2. take your pick....

you know whats another difference between hinrich and jamal??? jamal has the potential to be a superstar in this league while hinrich can only be at best a good point guard. i dont see him ever being as good as marbury, kidd, payton (in prime), davis, nash, etc...i think he will at best be an andre miller type of player....now, is a miller really someone to rave about???

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yep, and as a Bulls fan I'm embarrassed that our coach has the nerve to spend superlatives on any one player when the "team" still looks like a big heaping pile of steaming you know what. You know the whole we win as team we loose as a team...:|

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jc76ers</b>!
if hinrich is the bulls best defensive player, how come he didn't guard kobe?? i can only think of two reasons....

1) he isn't that great defensively
2) skiles is a moron
3) jamal is better defender than hinrich

I know many of you don't think its option #3....so it should be 1 or 2. take your pick....

you know whats another difference between hinrich and jamal??? jamal has the potential to be a superstar in this league while hinrich can only be at best a good point guard. i dont see him ever being as good as marbury, kidd, payton (in prime), davis, nash, etc...i think he will at best be an andre miller type of player....now, is a miller really someone to rave about???
option #4.) Jamal has more size than Kirk who is only about 6'2" and therefore is a better option to put on the taller Kobe.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>willieblack</b>!
Yep, and as a Bulls fan I'm embarrassed that our coach has the nerve to spend superlatives on any one player when the "team" still looks like a big heaping pile of steaming you know what. You know the whole we win as team we loose as a team...:|
Good point!

·
Registered
273 Posts
jamal is maybe an inch or two taller than hinrich....

so what your telling me is that those two inches matter thaat much??? for a guy that can't play a lick of defense (according to many of you), he is now suppose to guard one of the best offensive players in the nba??? because of that 1 inch or 2??

and since jamal was doing such a bad job of guarding kobe, why not make the switch???? like i said, either skiles is an idiot or hinrichs d is overrated....

many of you like to criticize jamal for his d on kobe...but hinrich would have done the same or maybe worst.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts