Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok perhaps this is a misguided attempt to earn RPG points, but I believe this needs to be said in a more eloquent manner. For the past six years we have been the tortured franchise, the butt of every joke, the laughingstock of the league. We were buried on national television, the evidence against going young, our efforts of rebuilding proved fruitless, and we called Secausas, New Jersey our home every May. However, in the span of four months, it has all changed. Overhyped veteran presence has given way to youthful excitement. The Bulls long left for dead at the beginning of the season and even into December are now the Cinderella (TM) story of the season. At 38-31, a playoff berth is almost a certainity, and the core of this story are 20-somethings barely removed from college or mediocrity. The Grizzlies game is a microcosm of what has happened to this team. Eddy Curry put up what he should put every night (25 points and 4 rebounds). His lack of rebounding and defensive skills made up for by his counterpart, Tyson Chandler (13 pts and 14 bds). A closer and new face of the team has emerged only a year removed from leading a different team to a different championship. They said the small backcourt would never work and it has had its difficulties when faced with the superstars of the league.

The best thing about this team that I am proud to call my own: the way they win. This board has ridiculed and mocked "the right way", but it has worked. We win with defense, and get enough on the other end to win games. Since 0-9, the Chicago Bulls are 38-22. Very rarely do I watch the NBA.com gamecast and expect the Bulls to lose. What has changed? How did it happen overnight? Should the House Committee call Scott Skiles and the team trainers into Washington to examine whether our players are juiced? The explanation to what has transpired since December 1st is hard to fathom. It was a lightswitch, suddenly flicked on to reveal light. They said "the schedule has been easy", "there have been no injury troubles", "they will hit the wall", yet as the season has progressed we have won the hard games, lost Curry, Deng, and Hinrich for decent stretches, and our young guys have kept chugging along. For me, this has been a dream. Since 1998, I have been unable to call any of my teams winners save Michigan football every year, and the 2001 Bears and 2002 Cubs, yet all fell short of a goal they were capable of attaining. I expect only brighter things from the players I stood by for years and now support whole-heartedly.

I am living the dream.

Reactions: BenDengGo and madox

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:28 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got news for you, unless we have a major injury, we are making the playoffs this year.

We are 7-15 now, and that's having played the 2nd toughest schedule in the league. Since averages tell us that our schedule should be ranked around 15-18th toughest, we've got quite a few easy games coming up to even our schedule out. The worst (by far) is gone.

Our rookies will keep getting better. None of them should hit a rookie wall too hard, they are all playing around 24 minutes for the most part, so they shouldn't get terribly worn down. They are getting more and more familiar with each other, playing better than even I thought they would this soon. Nobody thought we had a chance at being 7-15 at this point, really.

Like I've said before, it takes about 25 games to see what kind of team you are, and the end of December will be 26 for us, so I'm waiting until then. If we can win 3 of 4 (POR, @DET, @MIL, NJ), we'll end the year 10-16 and right in the playoff hunt.

If you look at the Sagarin Computer Rankings (which pretty much mirror the standings), Washington and Orlando are #9 and #10 in the NBA. They have each played fairly easy schedules, both in the easiest 10. And neither team plays defense, which starts to count toward the end of the season. Well, basically after the All-Star break, that's when teams start getting serious about the playoffs. We should have beat Washington there, with our experience continuing to grow I don't think that they are better than us. Orlando may be, but besides playing no defense they have to worry about G Hill's ankle.

The Hawks, Bucks, Nets and Bobcats are already in our rear-view mirror in the standings, and Toronto is next- that gets us up to #10 in the East. Philly is only 2 games ahead of us, I have no doubts that we are better than they are, which puts us at #9.

So, which team in the top-8 in the East falls?

The Magic have a lot of talent, but they give up 100 points a game.

Ditto the Wizards, and their big-3 have to play a lot of minutes.

Ditto part 2 the Celtics, Doc has never made his teams play defense.

Ditto again the Knicks, they play no defense and have no inside game really at all.

Nobody knows what's up with Indy, they are going to get way down waiting for SJax and JO to come back- and when they do, how good will they be without Crazy Ron? (I don't think they'll miss him, but a lot of people think he's a franchise player).

The Heat, Cavs and Pistons should be locks- although the Pistons are struggling now, they'll be there.

Oh yeah, we are making the playoffs, barring major injuries.

------------------------------------------

That's what happened.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bullsville said:
Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:28 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got news for you, unless we have a major injury, we are making the playoffs this year.

We are 7-15 now, and that's having played the 2nd toughest schedule in the league. Since averages tell us that our schedule should be ranked around 15-18th toughest, we've got quite a few easy games coming up to even our schedule out. The worst (by far) is gone.

Our rookies will keep getting better. None of them should hit a rookie wall too hard, they are all playing around 24 minutes for the most part, so they shouldn't get terribly worn down. They are getting more and more familiar with each other, playing better than even I thought they would this soon. Nobody thought we had a chance at being 7-15 at this point, really.

Like I've said before, it takes about 25 games to see what kind of team you are, and the end of December will be 26 for us, so I'm waiting until then. If we can win 3 of 4 (POR, @DET, @MIL, NJ), we'll end the year 10-16 and right in the playoff hunt.

If you look at the Sagarin Computer Rankings (which pretty much mirror the standings), Washington and Orlando are #9 and #10 in the NBA. They have each played fairly easy schedules, both in the easiest 10. And neither team plays defense, which starts to count toward the end of the season. Well, basically after the All-Star break, that's when teams start getting serious about the playoffs. We should have beat Washington there, with our experience continuing to grow I don't think that they are better than us. Orlando may be, but besides playing no defense they have to worry about G Hill's ankle.

The Hawks, Bucks, Nets and Bobcats are already in our rear-view mirror in the standings, and Toronto is next- that gets us up to #10 in the East. Philly is only 2 games ahead of us, I have no doubts that we are better than they are, which puts us at #9.

So, which team in the top-8 in the East falls?

The Magic have a lot of talent, but they give up 100 points a game.

Ditto the Wizards, and their big-3 have to play a lot of minutes.

Ditto part 2 the Celtics, Doc has never made his teams play defense.

Ditto again the Knicks, they play no defense and have no inside game really at all.

Nobody knows what's up with Indy, they are going to get way down waiting for SJax and JO to come back- and when they do, how good will they be without Crazy Ron? (I don't think they'll miss him, but a lot of people think he's a franchise player).

The Heat, Cavs and Pistons should be locks- although the Pistons are struggling now, they'll be there.

Oh yeah, we are making the playoffs, barring major injuries.

------------------------------------------

That's what happened.
Of course we had faith, but at 0-9 even very few here had any inkling this team would make the playoffs. I meant from around the league, other fans of other teams, supposed analysts and basketball experts...they all doubted us.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
1 year ahead of schedule. This current season is gravy to me

·
Registered
659 Posts
Great post, but I only hand out RPG points to instigators and antagonists.

You nailed it though-- this is a fun team to root for.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
T.Shock said:
Of course we had faith, but at 0-9 even very few here had any inkling this team would make the playoffs. I meant from around the league, other fans of other teams, supposed analysts and basketball experts...they all doubted us.
No doubt, I certainly wasn't thinking that at 0-9.

Very, very few people were thinking it even when we were 7-15.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
nice post. I didn't think we would be at this point until next year at the soonest.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
-But the Bulls are not a good team. They'll faulter soon, just like they have in past years.

-my gripe is with Bullsnews.net's notion that the Bulls are somehow better than the Knicks, Celtics, Raptors, Wizards, Magic, and Sixers based on statictics that he picked and chose to fit his argument. (He's still right so far, we are still 1/2 game behind the Wiz).

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
bullsville said:
-But the Bulls are not a good team. They'll faulter soon, just like they have in past years.
Are you being sarcastic? The Bulls are not an elite team, but they are a good team. They are 38-31, which definitely makes them a good team. And their current winning streak doesn't lead me to believe they will suddenly falter. This is a totally different team than what we've had in past years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts