Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just because not everybody is Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant, or even Steve Francis, people seem to think that the dunks being pulled off aren't ridiculous feats of athleticism. I'm sure some guy will come along eventually and wow the crowd again, but for now why don't we just appreciate the fact that these guys are amazing already?

Maybe it's the dunker in me recognizing the degree of difficulty of some of these dunks.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
The fact that I could 'almost' do some of the stuff they do kind of turns me off to it since its on TV. If it were live, that would be sick and I'd enjoy it a lot more. Since its on TV, and seein things on tv isnt half as amazing as seeing them in person, it doesnt have much flair. I think vince carter really messed up the contest a few years ago. He did some stuff so crazy that its almost like the NBA said "well nobody will ever top that so we'll just aim it for the younger players." The contest really hasnt been the same since.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I think Fred Jones of Indiana would be awesome in the dunk contest!

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
The fact that I could 'almost' do some of the stuff they do kind of turns me off to it since its on TV. If it were live, that would be sick and I'd enjoy it a lot more. Since its on TV, and seein things on tv isnt half as amazing as seeing them in person, it doesnt have much flair. I think vince carter really messed up the contest a few years ago. He did some stuff so crazy that its almost like the NBA said "well nobody will ever top that so we'll just aim it for the younger players." The contest really hasnt been the same since.
VC messed up the contest? Now that's a new theory!
There's always room for new creativity, the league has to get rid of it's stupid restrictions and allow players to be more creative with their dunks (ie. use props, alley oops, etc.)
They should do something about the scoring too, maybe actually have diff. categories like in olympic competition (ie. degree of difficulty, power, firm, etc.) so that not every btw the legs will get u a 50....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Outlaw the Windmill....

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Originally posted by <b>chapi</b>!
i would like to see NO between the legs dunks and j-rich dunking of 1 foot :grinning:
i like to see J-rich do that dunk like that white kid off the basketball jones videos.

2 footed dunk from the free throw line.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Richardson's off the bounce reverse under the legs was pretty nice if you ask me. It was better than any of the Carter dunks in his contest. If you disagree, tell me which dunk was better.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!
Richardson's off the bounce reverse under the legs was pretty nice if you ask me. It was better than any of the Carter dunks in his contest. If you disagree, tell me which dunk was better.
I thought the elbow in the rim dunk, and the 360 through the legs dunks were both better.

That Richardson dunk was extremely sick though, definitely the best since Vinces run.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

I thought the elbow in the rim dunk, and the 360 through the legs dunks were both better.

That Richardson dunk was extremely sick though, definitely the best since Vinces run.
I've seen regular players do the elbow dunk.

Vince Carter did not do a 360 through the legs. I have the dunks right here. His teammate held the ball, and Carter jumped and put it between his legs.

The 360 he did was just a reverse direction 360 (for a right hander, he spun left instead of right)

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Yeah that Carter, Mcgrady, Francis dunk contest was the best ever. I don't know if it will be possible to see that many crazy dunks in one contest. People forget that Mcgrady and Francis both brought it strong in that contest. Vince just came a lil' bit better.

That said. I did enjoy last year's contest. Jordan and Dr. J judging. And Desmond Mason and J-Rich certainly put on a show.

I'm a big fan of the dunk contest. I think it's unfairly hated on. If people just shut up and stopped criticizing it then maybe David Stern would stop changing the rules to it.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!
I've seen regular players do the elbow dunk.

Vince Carter did not do a 360 through the legs. I have the dunks right here. His teammate held the ball, and Carter jumped and put it between his legs.

The 360 he did was just a reverse direction 360 (for a right hander, he spun left instead of right)
The elbow dunk was creative, thats what was so good about it. Its not just about jumping, or else theres no need for the hoop.

Whatever that 360 dunk was technically, looked better to me than the JRich dunk.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

The elbow dunk was creative, thats what was so good about it. Its not just about jumping, or else theres no need for the hoop.

Whatever that 360 dunk was technically, looked better to me than the JRich dunk.
I know this is dumb, but I cant do the Richardson, but I can do the vince opposite 360 - on a lower rim of coarse. Maybe that's why I think it's better. I usually can do those dunks, but that one's got me.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
JRich is a helluva of dunker, but he doest seem to be a good dunker off one foot. Most of the spectacular dunks are off one footers. IMO.

Vince really did tear the comp when he did it, too crazy and the spectacular. Although last year, Jrich's between the legs reverse 360... or what ever the hell it was.... was one of the hardest dunks off a two foot take off I've seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts