Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that charges have been dismissed against Kobe, do you think that Malone will sign with us soon? I think that it'd be silly to say that it had no effect on Karl. It has to increase our chances of bringing him back.

Thoughts?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I think this is a good observation. He is more likely to weigh coming in and playing with a healthy/motivated Kobe to unleash fury on the rest of the league. I really think if he joins the Lakers, they will be very dangerous yet again.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
It definitely helps our chances of him coming back, but what hurts our chances now is the new Slim Shady Shaq over there in Miami. If he can convince Karl that he's serious now, you never know...

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by <b>Locke</b>!
It definitely helps our chances of him coming back, but what hurts our chances now is the new Slim Shady Shaq over there in Miami. If he can convince Karl that he's serious now, you never know...
If Shaq did that, I'm sure Karl would say, "Why weren't you serious last year? I took a huge pay cut to come play for the Lakers and you weren't even serious about winning a championship?"

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
My personal opinion is that Karl feels if he was healthy enough to play this upcoming season, it would be with the Lakers. I dont think Karl wants to move his family, who love LA. They are settled in LA now, not to mention Kobe and Karl live very close to each other. I know their relationship has grown closer this past year, and it wouldnt surprise me to see him choose Kobe/LA over Shaq/Miami.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Damian Necronamous</b>!

If Shaq did that, I'm sure Karl would say, "Why weren't you serious last year? I took a huge pay cut to come play for the Lakers and you weren't even serious about winning a championship?"
I hope so, because that's precisely what my stance would be if I were Malone.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I think Karl is just sitting back and contemplating on whether he even wants to play ball again. If he comes back I can't see it being any other team than the Lakers now. He's comfortable here and I can't see him just making a hasty decision to move his family across the country after leaving them in limbo this past couple of months.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I think Karl is done. I think the only reason he's considering it is because of Kobe and the relationship they built last season.

But in the end I think Karl is gonna think to himself that my body just can't do it anymore he see's Grant and thinks I'm only gonna be a part time player and that I have done all I can in this league. I just think the fire is gone out and he's gonna realize it as the season approaches.

He's gonna think about his mom visiting her home and gonna really stick close to family and take his family back to Utah.

I don't think he's considering playing for anyone else other than LA and that at somepoint he tells Kobe I can't get up for it anymore and thats it.

Last season's run I think was Karl's last hurrah.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!
I think Karl is done. I think the only reason he's considering it is because of Kobe and the relationship they built last season.

But in the end I think Karl is gonna think to himself that my body just can't do it anymore he see's Grant and thinks I'm only gonna be a part time player and that I have done all I can in this league. I just think the fire is gone out and he's gonna realize it as the season approaches.

He's gonna think about his mom visiting her home and gonna really stick close to family and take his family back to Utah.

I don't think he's considering playing for anyone else other than LA and that at somepoint he tells Kobe I can't get up for it anymore and thats it.

Last season's run I think was Karl's last hurrah.
You make some good points here. However, I think the main thing that'll eventually push Malone over the edge to play this season is his belief in his game and just his general competitive fire. I really don't believe Malone has lost interest in the game; he thrives under the pressure of having to keep his body and mind in shape. At least, that's the impression I have always had of him.

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts
I personally think Malone is done too. He would hurt the Lakers more than help them. Did he do anything in the Finals? No. Just let him retire. Brian Grant is fine at PF for now. Grant does the dirty work, and thats the type of player I think Kobe needs around him. Grant will go for every rebound, allowing Kobe to run. I forgot if you guys traded your 05 1st or not, but if you didn't the 2005 draft has a lot of PF's in it, and I don't think you guys will be as good as last year, so you should be able to pick up a nice young PF.

BFreak.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazer Freak</b>!
I personally think Malone is done too. He would hurt the Lakers more than help them. Did he do anything in the Finals? No. Just let him retire. Brian Grant is fine at PF for now. Grant does the dirty work, and thats the type of player I think Kobe needs around him. Grant will go for every rebound, allowing Kobe to run. I forgot if you guys traded your 05 1st or not, but if you didn't the 2005 draft has a lot of PF's in it, and I don't think you guys will be as good as last year, so you should be able to pick up a nice young PF.

BFreak.
Did Malone do anything in the Finals? Of course not, he played on a torn MCL. But look what he did to KG and Duncan; kept them from taking the Lakers out of the series. For example, once Malone had a guard come help and trap Duncan, Timmy was completely taken out of the series 4 straight games (save for the 4th quarter of Game 5). Malone pulled the chair, swipes, and other very savvy defensive moves against Duncan very effectively. He also averaged a double double (maybe it was 12-9, I can't remember) during the postseason in the first 3 rounds when he was healthy.

There's no way Malone hurts the Lakers if he comes back, assuming he's healthy, which he might not be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts