Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We mostly agree that Chandler may never be nearly as effective as Elton Brand. He's a different player, yes, but the impact of Brand on both ends of the floor is huge.

But we wonder if Eddy Curry will ever be as big as, say, Brad Miller.

Today, I opened up ESPN.com...

"When Brad Miller stepped behind the 3-point line and hit a wide-open shot to force overtime, the Portland Trail Blazers had every excuse to give up on another road game..."

I checked out Miller's stat line. He's a legit All-Star, turning 28 later this year with at least four to six years left in prime basketball, and... he shoots THREE POINTERS? Not just any three pointers, but three pointers that send it in to OT?

14.8 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 4.7 apg, .87 spg, 1.3 bpg on the best team in the league. 51.3% from the field, and 44.4% from behind the arc (17 of 38 attempts).

Will Curry EVER be that good? Maybe he'll score more, but will he crash boards more? Will he rack up dimes? Does he have a rangy shot, and can he block some shots?

Chandler may never be as good as Brand. Curry may never be as good as Miller.

I'm not putting together the fantasy non-trade lineups from the Bulls past, etc., and I know we have to be future looking... but it's more than just players blowing up statistically. I'd say that Miller isn't just along for the ride, but the 2nd vote for MVP for the Kings this season (with Peja as the 1st candidate).

The Kings, over half a season, DON'T MISS CHRIS WEBBER AT ALL.

Gosh.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I agree that Brad Miller is great and that Curry may never be as good as him but the Kings are a well oiled machine. I think you could stick any able bodied pf in that system and they would flourish. It helps that Brad is a good passer but you could stick Troy Murphy, Zach Randolph, PJ Brown, Donyell Marshall anyone and they would look better than they would on a 20 win team.

Brad's value will really show when the Kings go up against Shaq and they need both him and Vlade to play center.

Besides - Krause was smart enough to sign him as a free agent.

Please note - I'm not defending Krause. He could have gotten way more for Artest and Miller than Rose.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
and to think the only FA we could sign that year were Mercer AND Miller. We "settled for Miller" and the fan base was the blunt of many jeers and mockings from other fans.

Miller is the real deal. Of course he is older. He is 27. I am not making "excuses" But 98/99 Miller was 21. His stats 12 minutes 6 pts 3 rebounds 56% shooting.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
When Miller arrived he wasn't the hard worker he is today.
Miller was fat and out of shape when he arrived, obviously he has developed a better work ethic.

One thing that Miller had ahead of Curry is basketball knowledge. Brad knew how to play basketball and had basketball skills, once he worked at conditioning he became a better player. Cartwright, as an assistant, could be attributed to helping Brad develop.

If Curry can get into shape the next thing we will see is a complete lack of basketball knowledge. We have all witnessed guys that had less conditioning and physical skills excel because they knew the game.

PS. I think Brad will be the difference this year against Shaq. I used to love watching Brad battle Shaq as a Bull. Shaq's missed haymaker was hilarious. Sadly those Laker beat downs by Miller are my best memories of the Bulls in the last 5 years :(

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Lizzy</b>!
I agree that Brad Miller is great and that Curry may never be as good as him but the Kings are a well oiled machine. I think you could stick any able bodied pf in that system and they would flourish. It helps that Brad is a good passer but you could stick Troy Murphy, Zach Randolph, PJ Brown, Donyell Marshall anyone and they would look better than they would on a 20 win team.

Brad's value will really show when the Kings go up against Shaq and they need both him and Vlade to play center.

Besides - Krause was smart enough to sign him as a free agent.

Please note - I'm not defending Krause. He could have gotten way more for Artest and Miller than Rose.

Big men are so rare. It still boggles the mind that we had three: 2 new, one productive vet---and we didn't think to keep the vet in case one of the youth didn't work out.

This organization had it's chance: Brand, Miller, etc.

If we're the Clippers of old for the next decade, theres no one but management to blame.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with all comments.

Lizzy, you're right on with the fact that Krause DID find Brad Miller. But it's almost more understandable to miss talent under the radar than to have him in your grip, under contract, and then give him away (compound it WITH fan-favorite Artest and that's an even sadder story). To see the talent and then give up on it means you had more opportunity to see what was possible and then actively rid yourself of it.

This is the claim to idiocy.

The guy shoots THREE POINTERS. We knew he had a soft touch, and a decent jumper from about 14 feet. We also knew he was a rugged rebounder and a very decent starting center in the league.

There's a lot of "what-if" scenarios floating around these boards, and most of us vets are kind of sick of them. But think about it this way: what if management looked at Miller's 8.9 and 7.4 in only 25.2 mpg and said, "maybe we should address the GUARD positions instead? Maybe we should draft phenom Jason Richardson or listen to our resident star and take Shane Battier?"

Jay Williams would still have been the correct pick as the best available talent, and the big trade would not have happened. They jumped the trigger on good solid talent because they figured they needed change, to reinspire Bulls fans.

Changes are appropriate sometimes (we did rid ourselves of Ron Mercer's horrid contract in the Rose deal, of course, and sending Rose to Toronto still seems like the right move, although we could certainly use Donyell Marshall).

Gosh. THIS is why Krause is the idiot. He correctly evaluated some very high quality talent that a little patience and a real coach might have fixed, but instead he gave into social pressure and pushed a button.

Paxson, let's not let history repeat itself. Unless Crawford is forcing your hand (and there's no real sign that he is), let's not jump the trigger on anything. We've had plenty of real players make their way through the Bulls season after season since MJ left, but we've yet to see ONE offseason with a real coach. I do think it makes the real difference, and Pax's emphasis on getting high quality assistant coaches reflects an understanding of that from him, I think.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I hear a lot of people say that Miller wouldn't have resigned with the Bulls anyway. And that if he did it would have taken a max contract. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it certainly is a viable and reasonable explanation for moving Miller even though he was a good player. I hear similar comments about Brand but I don't think there is any truth to them.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
I hear a lot of people say that Miller wouldn't have resigned with the Bulls anyway.
I would have to lay that problem at Krause's feet, too.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!

I would have to lay that problem at Krause's feet, too.

I don't know about that. I always heard that Krause and Miller were fishing buddies.

·
Banned
780 Posts
OK OK <strike> SHUT UP</strike> about what was done 2-3yr's ago its over and done with move on already..

Disagree and debate all you want to on here, but don't tell anyone to shut up. We want opinions on basketball. I agree with your idea that discussing the past does not do any good, but it is not up to you and I to decide on what the poster is going to talk about in terms of basketball. truebluefan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts