Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Throughout the season, agent Henry Thomas and Bulls general manager John Paxson have discussed several possible scenarios for Fizer, one of which is a change of scenery prior to the Feb. 19 NBA trade deadline.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
58,359 Posts
"My knee feels fine," Fizer said recently. "That's not a problem. I haven't played much, that's all. I haven't found my rhythm this season. But my New Year's resolution was to work harder than any player in the league. If I make good on it, positive things will happen eventually."

Throughout the season, agent Henry Thomas and Bulls general manager John Paxson have discussed several possible scenarios for Fizer, one of which is a change of scenery prior to the Feb. 19 NBA trade deadline.

"In the four years that Marcus has been with the team, the Bulls have yet to make a commitment to him," Thomas said. "The only time they said, 'This is the role we have in mind for you' was last season, and that's when Marcus played the most consistent basketball of his career. Whether it's Elton Brand, Tyson Chandler, Charles Oakley or Donyell Marshall, it seems that somebody is always ahead of him.

"From what I understand, no player is sacred there. Is it time for Marcus to start over somewhere else? It might be."

At his current rate, Fizer will finish the season with career lows in virtually every statistical category. The one number that stands out is his .315 field-goal percentage, which is significantly lower than the .441 career mark he took into this season.

The trend continued in a loss at Atlanta on Wednesday night. In 13 minutes off the bench, Fizer scored three points and failed to convert any of his seven field-goal attempts. Overall, he's averaging 6.0 points in 13.7 minutes per game this season.

"To be fair to (head coach) Scott (Skiles) and John, they look at the statistics and see that Marcus has shot a low percentage," Thomas said. "But statistics don't always tell the story. There's no doubt in my mind that, if Marcus played 24 minutes every game, then he would average close to 15 points and eight rebounds."
Comment is mine in blue.......Ah the loyalty of agents!! :eek:

"John has mentioned his lapses on defense, and I understand the concern there," Thomas said. "But in all honesty, every player on the team has been guilty of them. If they want to single out Marcus, so be it."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a shame the GS trade was not true that GB brought up. Claxton and Cheaney would have been good for us and that would have given him a chance to play since they have Murphy out.
 

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
Joined
·
36,839 Posts
Every agent in history has said his bench player would perform better with consistent minutes. But its a chicken and the egg thing.

I do agree that there has been time enough to evaluate Marcus (and this applies to the three C's as well).

This organization needs to you-know-what or get off the pot.

Make a commitment to the players you intend to build around. Those players you are not willing to make a commitment to should be moved. We have a lot of high-pick, young players on this squad. commit to developing them and making a cohesive unit or trade them. They're not going to do us any good if we don't develop them. This is not a recommendation to fire up the moving vans -- its more of a continuation from the discussion on other threads. Our plan to make the guys "earn" time hasn't exactly accellerated the learning curve thus far. We need to change the way we are developing our young guys so they will be in a position to help us. But if we're not going to do that, what is the point of keeping them around?


Fizer's agent's whining about Marcus being singled out for the D problem ticks me off though. If he played some D once in a while there'd be nothing to pick on, right?
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
Whenever Jamal thinks things have gotten bad, all he has to do is look down the bench to his buddy Marcus to see how much worse it could have been.

I feel for Marcus, because he was never really given the chance to succeed in this franchise. We drafted him out of spite to the clippers and then never dealt him, so he never got the chance to develop like most lottery pick rookies would have gotten to.

I think the Bulls have completely ruined Marcus. Almost ruined Jamal. And if they don't change their approach to player development Curry is next.

Managment has had no plan over the years to develop any of this talent. and that's what seperates us from say a Denver where Kiki has a definite plan for all of his draft picks. He's out there working with them. He has a much more supportive atmosphere of development. and you see the benefits being reaped. Nene is coming around nicely. Skita is getting better every year. And he's done it while increasing the overall talent and win total for the rest of the team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,150 Posts
Tom B thanks for posting that picture of my favorate bottle of aberlour. I feel for fizer but the bottle lines is he has been playing just awful and all these guys ever say is all i need are more minutes. Well, he plays no D, is a total backhole. Still rushes his game after 3 1/2 year in the game, and can't rebound to save his soul. Not to mention he doesn't have any interbules.

david
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
Whenever Jamal thinks things have gotten bad, all he has to do is look down the bench to his buddy Marcus to see how much worse it could have been.

I feel for Marcus, because he was never really given the chance to succeed in this franchise. We drafted him out of spite to the clippers and then never dealt him, so he never got the chance to develop like most lottery pick rookies would have gotten to.

I think the Bulls have completely ruined Marcus. Almost ruined Jamal. And if they don't change their approach to player development Curry is next.

Managment has had no plan over the years to develop any of this talent. and that's what seperates us from say a Denver where Kiki has a definite plan for all of his draft picks. He's out there working with them. He has a much more supportive atmosphere of development. and you see the benefits being reaped. Nene is coming around nicely. Skita is getting better every year. And he's done it while increasing the overall talent and win total for the rest of the team.
Now this is post people need to check. Rant on. . . :twave:
 

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!

Fizer's agent's whining about Marcus being singled out for the D problem ticks me off though. If he played some D once in a while there'd be nothing to pick on, right?
The agent has a point, though. We never hear anything about Crawford's poor defense, or Curry's. We never had a problem with Rose's effort on D when he was with the Bull. I think dude needs to look up the definition of "singled out".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Wynn</b>!


The agent has a point, though. We never hear anything about Crawford's poor defense, or Curry's. We never had a problem with Rose's effort on D when he was with the Bull. I think dude needs to look up the definition of "singled out".
I agree to an extent, but even his agent admitted his god-awfulness on offense too. He's shooting 31%. You live with someone's defensive mistakes if they can bring it on offense. Right now he's not bringing it anywhere.

And truth be told, I don't think you're right about not hearing about other players' bad D. Curry and Crawford are being routinely benched for it, and increasingly so as they provide less and less on offense. Rose was shipped out of town.
 

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!


I agree to an extent, but even his agent admitted his god-awfulness on offense too. He's shooting 31%. You live with someone's defensive mistakes if they can bring it on offense. Right now he's not bringing it anywhere.

And truth be told, I don't think you're right about not hearing about other players' bad D. Curry and Crawford are being routinely benched for it, and increasingly so as they provide less and less on offense. Rose was shipped out of town.
I was being ironic...... obviously not doing a good job of it. Everyone on the team is being called to task. "Singled out" certainly does not apply.

;)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top