Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Keeping in a long line of excellence and tradition.

1. Toronto - Andrea Bargnani. Skeptical how this plays out in the long run with Villaneuva and Bosh, but with Bosh playing the majority of his minutes at the 5 last year and Villaneuva/Bargnani capable of playing the 3, he's their man.

2. Chicago - LaMarcus Aldridge. He's going to be a bust but Chicago doesn't know this. And while they don't mind adding another perimeter player, you figure they have to go big if they don't plan on trading down.

3. Charlotte - Adam Morrison. I think he's going to do fine in the NBA playing the 2 and 3. Won't take Charlotte out of mediocrity.

4. Portland - Tyrus Thomas. Because they are too scared to take a player who plays the same position as Telfair or Webster (Roy).

*** Trade: Atlanta sends #5, Childress to Houston for Luther Head, #8. Atlanta has to cut down on their plethora of wing players and no pure PG is worth the 5th pick in this draft ***

5. Houston (from Atlanta) - Brandon Roy. Tough choice for them to choose between Gay and Roy, but with McGrady playing so much better at the 3 spot and Roy more NBA ready, they go with the 2 guard. Perimeter defense and creating shots without McGrady/Yao getting touches have been the Rockets kryptonite over the past 2 years (along with shooting, rebounding, the list goes on), drafting Roy gives them an immediate upgrade in many aspects.

6. Minnesota - Rudy Gay. Garnett can't last much longer in Minnesota. They need to start building for the future in addition to what they can get for him. Even with upgrades this offseason this team is no where near 2nd round material, it's time to start over.

7. Boston - Ronnie Brewer.
His stock is going to continue to rise right through the combines. Getting a smaller 1 guard would probably make more sense but this limits Szczerbiak's minutes which is always a good thing. A backcourt of West-Brewer-Pierce is pretty tenacious and Brewer should be capable of setting up plays after a while. When you combine his athleticism and ability to get to the basket with his ability to create for others, you have a top 5-8 pick.

8. Atlanta (from Houston) - Marcus Williams. Hopefully a fat paycheck reduces the temptation to steal flat screen TV's from the Hawks locker room. Atlanta gets their legit point who takes off some pressure from Johnson, as well as two excellent shooters coming off the bench in Luther Head and Salim Stoudamire. Let's face it, O'Bryant just isn't good enough to be taken this high.

9. Golden State - Rodney Carney. Drafting Foye just wouldn't send the right message to Baron Davis, who earns $60 million over the next 4 years and isn't going anywhere. Carney is like Dunleavy, except with the ability to jump, finish and hit three pointers.

10. Seattle - Randy Foye.
Because Ridnour sucks, and is the biggest liability in the NBA on defense.

11. Orlando - Maurice Ager. Deciding to go with a college player this year, the decision pays off when Ager signs a contract with the Magic. They can't go with Redick, having him and Nelson as an NBA backcourt doesn't work.

12. New Orleans - Cedric Simmons. Size needed.

13. Philadelphia - Shelden Williams. I'm not going to act like I know how Billy King thinks, but here's to hoping Shelden whips Webber into shape during training camp. :)

14. Utah - JJ Redick.
Like Cleveland and LeBron in 2003, we have JJ and the Jazz in 2006.

15. New Orleans - Patrick O'Bryant. Size needed.

16. Chicago - Mardy Collins.
Size in the backcourt and a capable playmaker, great fit for the Bulls.

17. Indiana - Rajon Rondo.
HUGE risk by taking Rondo, but when Anthony Johnson is guiding you down the stretch and Tinsley is falling off the map, you have to re-evaluate. Rondo can't shoot and probably never will, but that doesn't matter too much with Peja and Jackson on your team.

18. Washington - Hilton Armstrong.

19. Sacramento - Saer Sene. Probably too raw to be taken this high, but they need Keon Clark back. Or someone with balls to stand in the post.

20. New York - Ryan Hollins.
21. Phoenix - Shawne Williams.
22. New Jersey - Richard Roby.
23. New Jersey - Paul Millsap.
24. Memphis - Steve Novak.
25. Cleveland -
Oleksiy Pecherov.
26. Los Angeles Lakers - Quincy Douby.

27. Phoenix - Josh Boone.
28. Dallas - Rudy Fernandez.
29. New York - James White. Isiah wets himself looking at White's combine numbers, but this decision might actually work out.
30. Portland -Hassan Adams.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I've heard some rumors that Atlanta is interested in Randy Foye. How much seperates Marcus Williams, Randy Foye, and the other PG's in this draft?

·
Administrator
115,886 Posts
Man Shawne Williams to PHX? I'd love this pick. Also, Josh Boone would be a good pick too for us.
But we'll more than likely trade one or both picks though.

I've been hearing McMillan for the Blazers is starting to push for Roy. He wants someone in there who is mature and went through college experience. Guess, we'll see who wins out.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
dissonance19 said:
He wants someone in there who is mature and went through college experience. Guess, we'll see who wins out.
I've been hearing that the Atlanta Hawks owners are pushing for someone who is mature & went through college, too. However, in this draft.. that's EVERYONE. lol

·
Administrator
115,886 Posts
TheATLien said:
I've been hearing that the Atlanta Hawks owners are pushing for someone who is mature & went through college, too. However, in this draft.. that's EVERYONE. lol

lol. Well, he probably wants to stay away from those kids who went to college for just 1 or 2 yrs. That can make a difference too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
There is a very good chance that Boston will take Marcus Williams at the #7 so that will be in Atlantas mind before they make a trade to move down in the draft.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
you have Mardy Collins at 16, 20, 24

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
A random trade that helps Houston? Why didn't you mention any other trades. Morrison is not going to Charlotte over Gay.

What does Morrison do that Matt Carroll doesn't do for them?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
HKF said:
A random trade that helps Houston? Why didn't you mention any other trades. Morrison is not going to Charlotte over Gay.

What does Morrison do that Matt Carroll doesn't do for them?
have you been drinking again?

502 Posts
HKF said:
Morrison is not going to Charlotte over Gay.
Damn HKF, I'm gaining respect for you by the second with your posts the last couple days.

Wanna see something hilarious? Adam Morrison trying to guard Rudy Gay during workout at the pre-draft camp.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
MarvinWilliams#1in05 said:
Damn HKF, I'm gaining respect for you by the second with your posts the last couple days.

Wanna see something hilarious? Adam Morrison trying to guard Rudy Gay during workout at the pre-draft camp.
arguing gay over morrison is perfectly legit although morrison is the better of the two but to invoke the name of matt carroll in the same conversation sort of shoots your credibility down just a tad.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Well because Morrison is going to look eerily similar to what Matt Carroll brings to the table for Charlotte when he gets to the league.

If you watched the last 10 games of the season for the Bobcats, Carroll played pretty darn well. However, Carroll is a role playing swingman off the bench. Which is exactly what I think Morrison will evolve into.

I just don't see this great NBA scorer, but stranger things have happened.

Here's my problem with guys who dominate the ball in college. They almost invariably always struggle at the pro level because they simply are playing with better players now and their talent level won't allow them to command that kind of dominance.

So someone like Morrison and someone like Randy Foye will struggle in my estimation, whereas Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay will thrive and to a lesser extent a Mike Gansey, will somehow make a roster and play in the NBA for 12 years because of his game completely off the ball.

That's not to say that Morrison doesn't move without the ball, but he was dominant on the ball kind of scorer and the people he will be consistently trying to shoot over in the pros are all either the same height as he is, just as strong if not stronger or they leap much higher and are quicker.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
HKF said:
Well because Morrison is going to look eerily similar to what Matt Carroll brings to the table for Charlotte when he gets to the league.

If you watched the last 10 games of the season for the Bobcats, Carroll played pretty darn well. However, Carroll is a role playing swingman off the bench. Which is exactly what I think Morrison will evolve into.

I just don't see this great NBA scorer, but stranger things have happened.

Here's my problem with guys who dominate the ball in college. They almost invariably always struggle at the pro level because they simply are playing with better players now and their talent level won't allow them to command that kind of dominance.

So someone like Morrison and someone like Randy Foye will struggle in my estimation, whereas Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay will thrive and to a lesser extent a Mike Gansey, will somehow make a roster and play in the NBA for 12 years because of his game completely off the ball.

That's not to say that Morrison doesn't move without the ball, but he was dominant on the ball kind of scorer and the people he will be consistently trying to shoot over in the pros are all either the same height as he is, just as strong if not stronger or they leap much higher and are quicker.
i dont think you can look at an adam morrison and use generic comments like, he dominated the ball......, his game is beyond that, on the surface he compares to a mike miller as far as height,athletecism and so forth but his game is much more focused than that, he has made himself a better passer,rebounder and 3pt scorer to the point where i dont doubt he would be better suited to play the shooting guard postion in the pros. he isnt going to have the in and out of game mentality of a rudy gay and is just a far superior offensive player than a brandon roy. i think he'll be gone by the 4th pick, hopefully to a team i follow and i assume one you dont.

·
Administrator
115,886 Posts
Yeah, I think it's kinda lame to predict trades and have your team get the benefit unless a trade actually happens. It's too hard to predict unless you're just hoping they do and it never happens.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
If Memphis picks Steve Novak in the first round, then I'm going to hit Jerry West with a frying pan.

Hard.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts