Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· We Warriors
15,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wolves trade a future first rounder to Clippers and a future first rounder to Celtics this season. the players are getting older. How can they improve next five years? How can they rebound back to title contenders?

What is your strategy?

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Here's a few thoughts. May not be very realistic, but for the sake of the thread...

1) Work extremely hard this offseason, improving a few things: Jaric on his shot consistency and ability to play a mid-range game. He is a tall guard and should be able to use a floater of some kind. Banks on developing some consistency in his shot. McCants...just get him the minutes next year.

2) Fire their coach. Hire Marc Iavaroni. He's been an assistant coach under Mike D'Antoni the past two years and wants a head coaching job. He was a starter as a rookie for Philly in their 83' championship year, and has also coached under Pat Riley and Mike Fratello. He self-admittedly loves a challenge. He played abroad alongside D'Antoni late in his career and understands the style. First on the agenda, develop a new offensive strategy. Kevin Garnett, when I watch him, seems to drift in and out of games offensively. He often gets baited into taking these turnaround jumpers at the top of the key. He needs to get closer, force the double, and then be able to rely on his shooters to nail the shot. Or, he has to punish people on the block. This floating around sixteen feet out crap is going to get nothing done. Also, you now have Marcus Banks and Ricky Davis and Rashard McCants and Marko Jaric and a rookie. Run. Commit to running, meaning go crazy with conditioning before the season starts. Not Suns running, but do make it part of your strategy. There's no reason to have such a slow pace when you have young guys that can and probably want to run.

3) Use the MLE on Nazr Mohammed. They need a center, and I think they can pry him away from San Antonio for $4.5 mil per year (he makes $5.5 now though, and may not want a pay cut). That of course also depends on if San Antonio is willing to go into luxury tax zone or be able to cut salary elsewhere :cough: Finley :cough:. Additionally, it depends on how much Nazr values playing for a major contender or wants to be a part of a new team. His role has wavered on San Antonio, but I dunno what his intentions are. Melvin Ely would be the second target. Joel Pryzbilla would be third, but I'm guessing he stays in Portland.

4) Target these guys with the rest of the MLE and the $1.6 mil exception: Trevor Ariza, Scot Pollard, Rasual Butler, Lindsey Hunter, Francisco Elson, etc.

5) Dump Griffin and Madsen if you can find any takers and if you can sign Mohammed or Ely.

6) Commit to two PG's and try to get rid of the third, if at all possible. Hudson has an ugly contract and is probably not tradable. If he gets healthy and starts contributing, trade him while you can. If it becomes clear that Jaric isn't going to work (and if Hudson and Carter can play), trade him before his stock falls through the floor.

7) Since they will probably be a lottery team (8-10), they will get their own pick this year. Draft for now, and draft SF-PF-C. If you aren't going to rebuild, then you better get someone who can help right away. Shelden Williams is ready, but probably won't be the best running the floor. I'm not really high on Tiago Splitter. If help-now not available, look at Josh McRoberts or Tyrus Thomas. Iavaroni has lots of experience developing young big men, so these guys would fit.

This was fun.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
The future of the Wolves is without KG. KG's future is not with the Wolves.

It's that simple.

· Registered
302 Posts
The title is wrong. It should be "The future of KG and the Lakers. The rise of Kwame Brown." :banana: :banana: :banana:

Honestly doubt KG will stay a Wolf, probably will leave(maybe even next season?) or when his contract is up. He would probably be like Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Michael Finley and many other former star veterans looking for a ring. KG won't get a ring playing as a wolf and I hope he realizes that.

· Registered
11,640 Posts
-BasketBallBoy- said:
The title is wrong. It should be "The future of KG and the Lakers. The rise of Kwame Brown." :banana: :banana: :banana:

Honestly doubt KG will stay a Wolf, probably will leave(maybe even next season?) or when his contract is up. He would probably be like Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Michael Finley and many other former star veterans looking for a ring. KG won't get a ring playing as a wolf and I hope he realizes that.

when IS his contract up?

· Registered
1,488 Posts
ShuHanGuanYu said:
Not up until 2009, at which point he will be 33.
god i love hs picks. if they are ur favorite players its an extra 4 years of their career u can savour. going off on abit of a tangent - does anyone know of any known location where u can make a bet if lebrons son will play in league same time as Lebron??? just curious, like u can get insurance protecting ur property from alien invasion, surely theres a bookie who thinks they can cash in

· Registered
1,285 Posts
I read in another forum that one rumor has KG going to the Rockets along with a first round pick in return for McGrady, Luther Head, and a second round pick. Does anybody know if that's legit or have any thoughts and opinions on it?

· Registered
12,466 Posts
RE-sign banks
Fire Casey
Sign Nazr with MLE
Trade Hudson and Jaric, try to get a 'true' PG back up for banks.

Really the only thing i can think of is to trade the lot, make a huge move and try to get KG that all star second man he needs.... hell even consider marbury, they have to get this team enough talent to run for a title, or they are going to lose KG

· We Warriors
15,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the only thing Wolves want to have for lunch is Wade.

· Registered
12,466 Posts
yeah i agree, the wolves wont be trading KG unless they get some huge young talent back in return, if they trade him they will definately be going into rebuilding mode.

· Registered
4,320 Posts
ShuHanGuanYu said:
Here's a few thoughts. May not be very realistic, but for the sake of the thread...

1) Work extremely hard this offseason, improving a few things: Jaric on his shot consistency and ability to play a mid-range game. He is a tall guard and should be able to use a floater of some kind. Banks on developing some consistency in his shot. McCants...just get him the minutes next year.

2) Fire their coach. Hire Marc Iavaroni. He's been an assistant coach under Mike D'Antoni the past two years and wants a head coaching job. He was a starter as a rookie for Philly in their 83' championship year, and has also coached under Pat Riley and Mike Fratello. He self-admittedly loves a challenge. He played abroad alongside D'Antoni late in his career and understands the style. First on the agenda, develop a new offensive strategy. Kevin Garnett, when I watch him, seems to drift in and out of games offensively. He often gets baited into taking these turnaround jumpers at the top of the key. He needs to get closer, force the double, and then be able to rely on his shooters to nail the shot. Or, he has to punish people on the block. This floating around sixteen feet out crap is going to get nothing done. Also, you now have Marcus Banks and Ricky Davis and Rashard McCants and Marko Jaric and a rookie. Run. Commit to running, meaning go crazy with conditioning before the season starts. Not Suns running, but do make it part of your strategy. There's no reason to have such a slow pace when you have young guys that can and probably want to run.

3) Use the MLE on Nazr Mohammed. They need a center, and I think they can pry him away from San Antonio for $4.5 mil per year (he makes $5.5 now though, and may not want a pay cut). That of course also depends on if San Antonio is willing to go into luxury tax zone or be able to cut salary elsewhere :cough: Finley :cough:. Additionally, it depends on how much Nazr values playing for a major contender or wants to be a part of a new team. His role has wavered on San Antonio, but I dunno what his intentions are. Melvin Ely would be the second target. Joel Pryzbilla would be third, but I'm guessing he stays in Portland.

4) Target these guys with the rest of the MLE and the $1.6 mil exception: Trevor Ariza, Scot Pollard, Rasual Butler, Lindsey Hunter, Francisco Elson, etc.

5) Dump Griffin and Madsen if you can find any takers and if you can sign Mohammed or Ely.

6) Commit to two PG's and try to get rid of the third, if at all possible. Hudson has an ugly contract and is probably not tradable. If he gets healthy and starts contributing, trade him while you can. If it becomes clear that Jaric isn't going to work (and if Hudson and Carter can play), trade him before his stock falls through the floor.

7) Since they will probably be a lottery team (8-10), they will get their own pick this year. Draft for now, and draft SF-PF-C. If you aren't going to rebuild, then you better get someone who can help right away. Shelden Williams is ready, but probably won't be the best running the floor. I'm not really high on Tiago Splitter. If help-now not available, look at Josh McRoberts or Tyrus Thomas. Iavaroni has lots of experience developing young big men, so these guys would fit.

This was fun.
That all sounds really good to me. I'm really starting to feel sorry for the Wolves, especially KG. I think you're right with the fact that the Wolves should run. They're pretty athletic all over and I see no reason why they shouldn't. Casey's just holding him back. For the draft, pick either Rodney Carney or Tyrus Thomas and they have a good chance of landing either one of them. Everything's still gonna revolve around KG though. This off-season's gonna determine everything.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
On a sort of off tangent, but what style of basketball do you think best suits KG's game (Princeton? Triangle?)? And what role should KG play? How would you build an effective team centered on KG (reasonable please, no stuffing the roster)?

I think a big problem with KG is just that he can do too many things on the court. His one weakness is lack of moves in the paint (or even attempts).

I mention Princeton and triangle offense because they are work with someone that can set up on the low block and pass to cutters, open man, or score.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.