Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me, the never ending saga of Billy Gillispie just gets more interesting. First, in January he got a secret reprimand from the school for violating NCAA rules about practice time. Then, this summer the players go to the AD to complain about how hard he is on them, and practice time issues, and an issue with his treatment of an supposedly injured player. Then when he is about to have a come to Jesus meeting with the AD, he has heart issues. He gets released, anther meeting is scheduled, and today he is off to the Mayo clinic for more health issues.

Either one of three things is going on:
1. He cheats, got caught and is trying to evade getting fired with no pay.
2. Texas Tech players are wimps and are not tough enough for big time basketball.
3. This guy is really sick.

I am leaning toward thinking that the players he has (had) are not willing to put in the work other big time programs expect. If they were elsewhere, they would be the ones leaving and going to a lower division school.

However, if he is expecting the players to put in that much time, I am sure that he did the same thing at Kentucky, but since UK is UK, the players just figured that this is how you get to the NBA. Texas Tech is hardly a feeder for the NBA.

Given Texas Tech's history with Mike Leach and that ass Craig James, the treatment of an injured player points to only one alternative.

But, I have to wonder if there will be blowback on Kentucky, or Texas A&M, where he was prior to Kentucky.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Leach situation was never about his abuse of Craig James' kid, it was about a power struggle between him and the AD. That is why this current situation is amusing. If they cared about their athletes Gillespie would be gone and they wouldn't have buried the NCAA violation. TTU is finding that karma can be a bitch.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
It'd really be saying something if these players, recruited by Pat Knight, were not accustomed to hard practices and putting the work in. Same goes for their finding Gillespie abusive.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
One of the real strange stories at Texas Tech was that some of the radio announcers would have to run layup lines with the team thanks to Gillespie - I don't think even RMK ever resorted to those shenanigans.

Gillespie has to have a screw loose somewhere.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Gillispie was the same at Kentucky. The guy is the definition of a scumbag. Word is they've been trying to fire him for the last two weeks but he won't return calls. If I was TTU I would throw his crap out in the street and say come get it if you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts