Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't say that I am shocked at the response to O'Brien's resignation in both the media and by the fans but I guess I am more disappointed by it then anything else. Have we become so accustomed to mediocre sports in Boston that we forget what it takes to win a championship. I keep hearing people say that this team got to the Eastern Conference Finals and how the East is wide open this year. To that I say SO WHAT! You guys can wear around your "Eastern Conference Participants" t-shirts from a few years ago if that makes you happy. I want a title. Plain and simple. Anything less is not good enough. And it shouldn't be good enough for anyone who is a Celtics fan. And that is what Ainge is saying with his moves - I didn't take this job to put Eastern Conference banners up. Now I know people will say we are no closer to a title then before Ainge took over however I think often times its necessary to move temporarily away from a goal in order to ultimately accomplish it. I am not going to sit here and tell you that the guys Ainge brought in are going to win a championship but what I am going to tell you is that the players that we lost were NOT going to win one. O'Brien is a coach that is made for a team with veterans on the verge. He doesn't have the patience nor the willingness to sacrifice a win today for 5 wins in two years. He is going to play the guys that give him the best shot to win tonight. Ainge was making personnel moves to win in a couple years and O'Brien was coaching to win today. It never would have worked between them.

Please let's not be lulled into contentment by a playoff appearance or an Eastern Conference finals berth. We should be focused on a NBA Championshiip. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For me... Ainge just wants a Lottery Pick lol, and he is doing whatever he can to have that.

We could be first in the Atlantic had we retained Walker and last year team. But, no further expectations other than that

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great we could be first. But we would get handled in the first round of the playoffs or if we are lucky the conference finals. I mean just look at the team that reached the conference finals and tell me how they possible improve? There is just no way. You could argue that Joe Johnson could have stepped up but with O'Brien running the show he would have never gotten the chance. The team maxed out that year and they maxed out by getting their butts kicked in the conference finals.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HickFromFrenchLick</b>!
I can't say that I am shocked at the response to O'Brien's resignation in both the media and by the fans but I guess I am more disappointed by it then anything else. Have we become so accustomed to mediocre sports in Boston that we forget what it takes to win a championship. I keep hearing people say that this team got to the Eastern Conference Finals and how the East is wide open this year. To that I say SO WHAT! You guys can wear around your "Eastern Conference Participants" t-shirts from a few years ago if that makes you happy. I want a title. Plain and simple. Anything less is not good enough. And it shouldn't be good enough for anyone who is a Celtics fan. And that is what Ainge is saying with his moves - I didn't take this job to put Eastern Conference banners up. Now I know people will say we are no closer to a title then before Ainge took over however I think often times its necessary to move temporarily away from a goal in order to ultimately accomplish it. I am not going to sit here and tell you that the guys Ainge brought in are going to win a championship but what I am going to tell you is that the players that we lost were NOT going to win one. O'Brien is a coach that is made for a team with veterans on the verge. He doesn't have the patience nor the willingness to sacrifice a win today for 5 wins in two years. He is going to play the guys that give him the best shot to win tonight. Ainge was making personnel moves to win in a couple years and O'Brien was coaching to win today. It never would have worked between them.
Please let's not be lulled into contentment by a playoff appearance or an Eastern Conference finals berth. We should be focused on a NBA Championshiip. Plain and simple.
For me this is one of the best posts I have ever read on this board! I couldnt have said it better myself! 5 stars!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.