Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news is that the Celtics are headed for the lottery. When Pierce, McCarty and James (the "lottery boys") are on the floor, there is absolutely no movement on offense. Everyone stands around and watches Pierce (or occasionally James) dribble and the only variation in the offense is who will jack up the next 3. On defense, they can't rebound against anyone-- not even second and third tier players like Za Za and Scott Padgett. McCarty is so weak that he falls down under the basket half the time. They are pathetic and they will keep losing, particularly when those three are in the game together at crunch time.

The bad news is that they are headed for the lottery without developing their young frontcourt players. As Aqua said a few days ago, it's surprising that Baker is the only one of the Celtics who is drinking. Banks plays a GREAT game but gets benched in the 4th quarter. Same with Mihm. Ricky Davis (or Vin Baker) starts filling it up on offense and then that player either gets benched or doesn't get to touch the ball any more. After all, Paul Piertce has the right to brick his 20 shots every night and the other players are forced to stand around and watch.

Meanwhile, Perkins and Hunter rot on the bench while they watch McCarty tripping over his own feet on the defensive boards or fumbling the ball away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Like you said in another post BJ, Danny Ainge is watching! I am confident that Obrien will be gone after this season! Ainge wont fire him this year cause he signed him to extention prior to this season but he wont have an excuse in the summer. The problem is that our young guys wont get any time this season. I just hope that Ainge will bring in a coach who will finally make an end to this "3 point shooting contest" kind of offense!

Kill Obieball!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
The good news is that the Celtics are headed for the lottery.
That is the good news, because this team isn't even close to a championship....but with that good news, the bad news is that
The bad news is that they are headed for the lottery without developing their young frontcourt players.
What makes us think that we'll develop this lottery guy?

So its actually "The Bad News and the Worse News". :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Well, Obie really doesn't know how to grow a talent. But, I think if Obie is gone next year and we can get a hall of fame coach, like Pat Riley, we can be a better and tougher team.

I really hope a great coach would want to come and coach C's and our young players would get better. I see Banks is improving by days. But, Hunter and Perkins need more playing time so they can get the feel of the game, not just sit on the bench and play garbage time and stay on IL as long as they can (having Yogi and JuJo on the roster is a joke).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!


Because Ainge has the power to fire O'Brien.
True...while talking about those two....

I think that Ainge will take over as the coach. I don't think he can bear this any longer.

We aren't winning and we aren't developing for next year. We are getting medicore picks and medicore talent.

Trader Dan said that Hunter is very close to getting real minutes, and not just garbage minutes when he was commentating with Mike and Tommy.

I can't wait for the ABC game...as much as all of the commentators suck, I really wanna see what they are saying...a dose of reality won't hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by <b>aquaitious</b>!

I can't wait for the ABC game...as much as all of the commentators suck, I really wanna see what they are saying...a dose of reality won't hurt.
The only question about tomorrow's game against the Spurs is how big the blowout is going to be. The bigger the better, because it might force Ainge to make changes. If he would do something along the lines of what Phoenix did, I would be overjoyed.

I am looking forward to the Banks-Parker matchup. It will be another learning experience for Marcus.

Please understand that I do not hate O"Brien. He is a smart man with good qualities as a coach. Unfortunately he is unbelievably stubborn and sometimes can't see the forest for the trees. His loyalty to McCarty and his inability to get Pierce to play team offense are completely undermining Ainge's attempt to rebuild the team.

Just a comment on Mike James: they brought James in to hold down the fort until Banks was ready. James has done that admirably. But Banks is ready now, or nearly so. It's time for James to step aside. Banks needs 35-40 minies a game--NOW. It should not take O'Brien the rest of the season to realize this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
The good news is that the Celtics are headed for the lottery. When Pierce, McCarty and James (the "lottery boys") are on the floor, there is absolutely no movement on offense. Everyone stands around and watches Pierce (or occasionally James) dribble and the only variation in the offense is who will jack up the next 3. On defense, they can't rebound against anyone-- not even second and third tier players like Za Za and Scott Padgett. McCarty is so weak that he falls down under the basket half the time. They are pathetic and they will keep losing, particularly when those three are in the game together at crunch time.

The bad news is that they are headed for the lottery without developing their young frontcourt players. As Aqua said a few days ago, it's surprising that Baker is the only one of the Celtics who is drinking. Banks plays a GREAT game but gets benched in the 4th quarter. Same with Mihm. Ricky Davis (or Vin Baker) starts filling it up on offense and then that player either gets benched or doesn't get to touch the ball any more. After all, Paul Piertce has the right to brick his 20 shots every night and the other players are forced to stand around and watch.

Meanwhile, Perkins and Hunter rot on the bench while they watch McCarty tripping over his own feet on the defensive boards or fumbling the ball away.

You know - all of the "problems" you cited could be fixed if Ainge would fire OBie. :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!


The only question about tomorrow's game against the Spurs is how big the blowout is going to be. The bigger the better, because it might force Ainge to make changes. If he would do something along the lines of what Phoenix did, I would be overjoyed.
Which one the Kidd trade or the Marbury trade?
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!


Please understand that I do not hate O"Brien. He is a smart man with good qualities as a coach. Unfortunately he is unbelievably stubborn and sometimes can't see the forest for the trees. His loyalty to McCarty and his inability to get Pierce to play team offense are completely undermining Ainge's attempt to rebuild the team.
I don't hate him either, I just don't understand him. I really did give him props a lot of times this season, but just shooting 3s, having Walter play 40 minutes, and his inability to tell his players to get the ball inside (although they have done that VERY well last night to Vinny) especially in the second half is inexcusable.

Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!


Just a comment on Mike James: they brought James in to hold down the fort until Banks was ready. James has done that admirably. But Banks is ready now, or nearly so. It's time for James to step aside. Banks needs 35-40 minies a game--NOW. It should not take O'Brien the rest of the season to realize this.
Mike has done a great job, but he's just another SG stuck in a PG's body...and I'm fine with that, but Banks is really turning it up, I mean wow. I think that OB realizes this, its just his stubborness thats in the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by <b>aquaitious</b>!


Which one the Kidd trade or the Marbury trade?
The Marbury trade. When I see that the Knicks also gave up Lampe in that deal, I shake my head in amazement. In 2-3 years they will be calling it the Lampe trade-- and I'm not the only one who is saying that.

It also freed up the minutes for Barbosa, who can really play. In fact he reminds me alot of Banks, although Banks has a better looking shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!


The Marbury trade. When I see that the Knicks also gave up Lampe in that deal, I shake my head in amazement. In 2-3 years they will be calling it the Lampe trade-- and I'm not the only one who is saying that.

It also freed up the minutes for Barbosa, who can really play. In fact he reminds me alot of Banks, although Banks has a better looking shot.
Well the Knicks have give up their future....but their present doesn't seem so bad. I mean Marbury, Houston, and Van Horn can give them a lot of offensive production, and Lenny should be able to teach them a thing or two. The Knicks got a million times the better of deal now, in the future they'll kill themselves...all in all I think they will be ahead of us as the season finishes, or will be fighting with us for the 8th spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by <b>aquaitious</b>!


Well the Knicks have give up their future....but their present doesn't seem so bad. I mean Marbury, Houston, and Van Horn can give them a lot of offensive production, and Lenny should be able to teach them a thing or two. The Knicks got a million times the better of deal now, in the future they'll kill themselves...all in all I think they will be ahead of us as the season finishes, or will be fighting with us for the 8th spot.
So would you give up the future of a team for a one-time shot at the eighth and last playoff spot in the miserably weal Eastern Conference? The only two people I know who would do something like that are Isiah Thomas and Jim O'Brien.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by <b>aquaitious</b>!


Well the Knicks have give up their future....but their present doesn't seem so bad. I mean Marbury, Houston, and Van Horn can give them a lot of offensive production, and Lenny should be able to teach them a thing or two. The Knicks got a million times the better of deal now, in the future they'll kill themselves...all in all I think they will be ahead of us as the season finishes, or will be fighting with us for the 8th spot.
So would you give up the future of a team for a one-time shot at the eighth and last playoff spot? The only two people I know who would do something like that are Isiah Thomas and Jim O'Brien.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
I wouldn't, but its not like they haven't gotten anything in return. It was a stupid move for the future, but for the next 2-3 years they *should* get into the playoffs. They have gotten a star, but lost money, draft picks, and young players. It was a stupid move but the Knicks will do anything to show signs of being alive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
I love the trade for phoenix! If they hadnt done it, they would have been mediocre for years! It was a bold move by Colangelo but a great one!

That is just the kind of move we should made years ago! Start rebuilding from step one and not this constant semi-rebouilding that just doesnt work!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top