Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard it on ESPN right now, so I have no link. But apparently, they're retiring his #13. WTH are they thinking? First retiring MJ's 23, now Marino's #13? They need to retire an actual Heat player before retiring any more numbers.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
Who's number do you want them to retire? Rony Seikley? The Heat has only been around for about 18 years. Alonzo Mourning will definatley be the first player to have his number retired but he is still playing. Tim Hardaway will have to wait until Zo retires.

Anyway its a bit strange but a great jesture by the Heat organization.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
Then everyone's gonna do it. Bad idea. Why would you retire someone if they have never played basketball? The Heat is a basketball team, not a football team.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
WTChan said:
Then everyone's gonna do it. Bad idea. Why would you retire someone if they have never played basketball? The Heat is a basketball team, not a football team.
This is old news, i dont really like them retiring a fball players jersey, they could have jsut honored him..

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
That is a little over the top. I can see having a Dan Marino night where they honor him but they shouldn't be retiring jersey of athletes that A) have never played for the franchise (MJ was so good that he is the exception) and B) don't even play the same sport.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
yeah, Dan Marino, best G in the NBA, has his # retired by the Miami Heat. Go to Hell Marino! Who actually cares about him?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
dannyM said:
"just shows what kind of crap ****ed up franchise this is." - T.O.
T.O, said that about the Heat franchise?

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Yeah, it really is pretty pathetic. It's like they are desperate to retire someone, ANYONE's number. Why not just wait a couple years and retire Zo's?

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Normally I like just about everything the Heat organization does, but this is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I even think retiring MJ's number is ridiculous, and I was born and raised a diehard MJ fan. How many other teams have done that?

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
I don't think they retired the number 13. But his jersey will hang in the rafters

From the Sun Sentinel
The unexpected came between those moments, when, at a halftime ceremony honoring Dan Marino, Heat president Pat Riley announced the team would raise a No. 13 Dolphins jersey to the rafters in honor of the Hall of Fame quarterback.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
marinos god to the fan base in miami

come on hes even got a street named after him

cant he get a little love from the basketball court?

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Jace said:
Normally I like just about everything the Heat organization does, but this is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I even think retiring MJ's number is ridiculous, and I was born and raised a diehard MJ fan. How many other teams have done that?
None that I know off. I don't expect that number to grow all that much either. I would rather have seen Miami have Marino night or build a statue of him around the city or something other then this. I understand he did a lot for the city but I don't think that merits this.

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
None that I know off. I don't expect that number to grow all that much either. I would rather have seen Miami have Marino night or build a statue of him around the city or something other then this. I understand he did a lot for the city but I don't think that merits this.
He already has a huge statue thats outside of Dolphins Stadium. Which is right around the street named after him.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
wade2shaq said:
He already has a huge statue thats outside of Dolphins Stadium. Which is right around the street named after him.
I only have been down to Miami twice so I didn't know that but my idea stays the same. There could have been a better way to honor him.

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
dannyM said:
marinos god to the fan base in miami

come on hes even got a street named after him

cant he get a little love from the basketball court?
It borderlines on psychotic how loved he is down here.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
wade2shaq said:
It borderlines on psychotic how loved he is down here.
dont hate the man just cause he never won a superbowl for you guys

you dont want to be hating shaq and wade for not winning a championship

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
reading the article on heat.com, it sounds like it was just a tribute and not a jersey retirement

1 - 20 of 22 Posts