Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinion urmite?

Personally I knew he was going to be there through his entire contract after that extension. He donated $1 million to the practice facility. His next couple years are not looking promising unless some or all of the seniors decided to stay another year.
This is similar to the heated discussion that is now raging on the Dayton Rivals board regarding the Flyer‘s collapse in Grant‘s 4th year following NCOY accolades. No one is suggesting that Grant should be fired or even be on the “hot seat”, but the question is how many years does Grant get without an NCAA appearance. Obviously, last year the Flyers were a lock so Grant has one appearance in 4 years, and next year there are going to be a lot of question marks. It’s remarkable that a significant number of The Faithful are OK with giving Grant the benefit of two more ”rebuilding” years before even questioning the direction of the program.

Grant has the 12th ranked recruiting class coming in next year, with at least one more scholarship to give and possibly up to another two. DaRon Holmes is the 39th ranked HS player and at 6’9” will make an immediate impact next year, but he is a freshman and will be going up against Osun, Trey Mitchell and the bigs from VCU.

The June 2019 IRS 990 reporting for UD, SLU and UR reported compensation of $2.1 million, $1.6 million and $1.4 million for Ford, Grant and Mooney (I suspect that Grant’s compensation is +2 million after last years run). Rhoads is somewhere in this group. These four coaches have collectively produced three at large type of seasons in four years (two belong to Rhoads). You can’t really complain about Rhoads, and it looks like the VCU is well positioned.

Many of you are most likely pleased that Dayton failed this year, but from the rest of the conference’s perspective should Grant get a hall pass because of NCOY honors and the benefit of two more rebuilding years? Again the question is not about him being fired, but whether the possibility of 1 ncaa type of season in 6 years is acceptable.

Keep in mind:

UD’ men’s basketball generates around $17 million in revenues and Grant gets everything he needs to operate the program at a P5 level.

He is most likely the highest paid coach in the conference and at least one of his assistants is listed among the highest paid employees at UD.

The University has invested close to $100 million in basketball facilities over the past seven years

·
Piker
10,336 Posts
Many of you are most likely pleased that Dayton failed this year
Well, full disclosure...I am always pleased when an opponent fails against my team but I root for their success afterwards. Well, most of the time ;)

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Your story may just indicate that it's not all about $'s spent, and facilities investment, and income generation.
Just look at all those numbers and names...and Bona is on top this year, and nowhere on the list.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I don't know JAF, I'm not happy UD isn't putting together AL seasons. I'm not happy that we're a fringe bubble conference now. In old A10 days SLU is a lock this season, loss to LaSalle excused by the body of work. WTF happened?

AAC gets conference level bubble coverage. We get "others" with MW, WCC. What's the difference, I can't believe we aren't their level. Houston is real good but top to bottom?

The problem isn't UD. The problem is college basketball. Who says we aren't putting together AL seasons? We need to take OOC performance very seriously. Our better teams need to get games, power conference games. Our rebuild schools need to learn to win, by beating up a low level schedule. If we are who we want to think we are, the top tier will score scalps and the rest do their part to ensure when you look at our standings a (insert basement team here) is 2-10 in conference but 12-11 overall.

I know I stole that last paragraph from JP but we won't be the A10 of old ever again. You don't get bids being 20-10, even if we deserve them. You guys are in fine shape with Grant. I love his demeanor, his coaching, I'd take Dayton's results in a heartbeat. College ball is just a different animal now.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
AAC gets conference level bubble coverage. We get "others" with MW, WCC. What's the difference, I can't believe we aren't their level. Houston is real good but top to bottom?
I admit that I am usually cynical about this, and that there are multiple reasons, but in my opinion, it comes down to the networks. The AAC has football and network deals. And I really do think that these networks push a certain narrative. As an example, Jerry Palm on CBS...doesn't CBS have a deal with the American? They want their teams to look better, so their bracektologist seeds them higher, categorizes them separately, etc. And for some reason, he's seen as an expert so people take what he says as a ringing endorsement. And it happens with ESPN and the others.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
TV deals are definitely why ESPN disrespects the A-10.

Palm isn't because of TV deals (And we have a deal with CBS). Palm is trying to predict the committee, not tell you who SHOULD make the NCAA Tournament. So every time the actual committee disrespects the A-10, Palm is going to be less respectful of the A-10's resumes going forward.

As for Grant... he's not in Year Four without an NCAA bid. He just finished year 1 without an NCAA bid. Come on now, 29-2, zero losses in regulation. "No NCAA bids" comes with a gigantic asterisk.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I agree to an extent JonBoy, but it mainly comes down to performance on the court. Look at our old friend XU, bottom half of a not terribly spectacular BE conference yet on the bubble. Why? 7-0 out of conference. Many BE teams did well OOC. 6 games at home, 1 @ Cinncy. We need OOC performances that give us the gaudy records even though we know we aren't top to bottom equal to a power conference. If FU and GW games were Q2 instead of Q4 we can avoid the landmines. Losing to Nebraska should be a shit stain on your resume. But it's not because they're a 200 level team masquerading as 128.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
TV deals are definitely why ESPN disrespects the A-10.

Palm isn't because of TV deals (And we have a deal with CBS). Palm is trying to predict the committee, not tell you who SHOULD make the NCAA Tournament. So every time the actual committee disrespects the A-10, Palm is going to be less respectful of the A-10's resumes going forward.

As for Grant... he's not in Year Four without an NCAA bid. He just finished year 1 without an NCAA bid. Come on now, 29-2, zero losses in regulation. "No NCAA bids" comes with a gigantic asterisk.
We have a deal with CBS in a way we do with NBC and to a lesser extent with ESPN. You might be right on Palm, but I still don't think it's that simple. I'm not trying to say there's a conspiracy against the A10 and other leagues, but there is an agenda from the networks, CBS included.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I agree to an extent JonBoy, but it mainly comes down to performance on the court. Look at our old friend XU, bottom half of a not terribly spectacular BE conference yet on the bubble. Why? 7-0 out of conference. Many BE teams did well OOC. 6 games at home, 1 @ Cinncy. We need OOC performances that give us the gaudy records even though we know we aren't top to bottom equal to a power conference. If FU and GW games were Q2 instead of Q4 we can avoid the landmines. Losing to Nebraska should be a shit stain on your resume. But it's not because they're a 200 level team masquerading as 128.
Sorry, I was trying not to get too wordy and that's why I said there are multiple reasons because it's not just the networks. But, I'm with you 100%. We do need better performances as a conference. But at the same time, Bona losing to Dayton late in the season, or VCU losing at Davidson shouldn't be potential season-ending losses. Why are Bona and VCU on the bubble when teams with similar resumes are in the 6-8 seed range?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Yeah, Bona losses to Dayton and it is in the same Q3 loss as if someone went to #240 Fairleigh Dickinson and lost.

But it's the conference effect of 20-game schedules after buying OOC guarantees that make 7-10 teams per BCS league are in the Top 50, leaving little room for Dayton in the top 75.

Honestly, I'd love it if the Flyers scheduled someone this week to win and move up to Q2 for the Bonnies' resume. Like call 25-4 Belmont. That would look good on the SOS.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
SLU compares very well to XU. I guess they are both teetering around the same area, but I suspect XU gets in and SLU is left out as Lunardi has them now. The NET favors SLU, but the quadrant comparisons are not as favorable with a slight edge to XU.

FU only played a conference schedule this season, so not sure they hurt the conference like they normally do.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Sorry, I was trying not to get too wordy and that's why I said there are multiple reasons because it's not just the networks. But, I'm with you 100%. We do need better performances as a conference. But at the same time, Bona losing to Dayton late in the season, or VCU losing at Davidson shouldn't be potential season-ending losses. Why are Bona and VCU on the bubble when teams with similar resumes are in the 6-8 seed range?
Good. Question. VCU had a great OOC. Nothing crazy bad in conference. Yet a loss on Sunday they have to hope "Last 4 In"? Outrageous.

SLU compares very well to XU. I guess they are both teetering around the same area, but I suspect XU gets in and SLU is left out as Lunardi has them now. The NET favors SLU, but the quadrant comparisons are not as favorable with a slight edge to XU.

FU only played a conference schedule this season, so not sure they hurt the conference like they normally do.
Yes, this year is an outlier in all these discussions. But we do need FU going between 8-4 and 12-0 OOC.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
No one has seen a collapse after NCOY award like SLU after that guy before Travis Ford. Grant has done an admirable job.

·
Piker
10,336 Posts
Could've hung around the RVA and played the Bonnies; I hear VCU is a neutral site.
Two courts and yes, VCU got the advantage of playing both games at home. On the other hand...In the postgame presser Travis Ford said that the Bonnies got to play at the same court the day before so they had the advantage while SLU had to play at a different court.

·
Piker
10,336 Posts
Now, back to the subject of Dayton and other coaching scenarios. There is a grace period for a new coach but in the situation where a program has been rolling before they are hired patience is thin when not capitalizing with NCAA bids. UD has a unique situation. Grant's first two years were met with pitchforks. He then had an incredible season which was derailed by a worldwide pandemic. No bid. Now a disappointing season with hope due to the #1 rated class of 2021. Tough one there. I understand. Rhoades was met with consternation after his first season. He then had a great year and got an at-large bid. Last year was a huge disappointment but the pandemic shut it down. Ironic that the effects had different perspectives from fans UD and Dayton. Both were disappointed but expectations were high for Dayton and VCU fans were worried. Rhoades then went to his young guys and they produced. Maybe Grant will have the same results with his 2021 class.

I understand Jaffie's post and it was an interesting read.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts