Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Belmont would be the best team to play, because Drake and SLU are like "committee opinion" difference, and playing each other serves as an elimination game, so why would you risk it? Plus you'll argue over where to play.

Belmont on the other hand, is 25-4 so the SOS bump is going to help you; they know they're not getting in because they lack a marquee win, so they might come to your place and play. Plus, they could think doing this would help them in the future to become an A-10 member.

Other interesting option: Arizona. Ineligible for NCAAs/Conference Tournament, but 46 in the NET and a P5 school with wins over USC and Colorado. Where they'd fall on the at-large board if they were eligible is probably 8-10 seed.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Belmont would be the best team to play, because Drake and SLU are like "committee opinion" difference, and playing each other serves as an elimination game, so why would you risk it? Plus you'll argue over where to play.

Belmont on the other hand, is 25-4 so the SOS bump is going to help you; they know they're not getting in because they lack a marquee win, so they might come to your place and play. Plus, they could think doing this would help them in the future to become an A-10 member.

Other interesting option: Arizona. Ineligible for NCAAs/Conference Tournament, but 46 in the NET and a P5 school with wins over USC and Colorado. Where they'd fall on the at-large board if they were eligible is probably 8-10 seed.
SLU would want/need to play Drake on the road.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Spiders are in an everlasting grace period.
Falling from expected first and high NCAA expections to 8th. Ugh.
Can't overlook losing Sherod and then all the injuries. Tough season.
Grant and Rhoades will be fine.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Spiders are in an everlasting grace period.
Falling from expected first and high NCAA expections to 8th. Ugh.
Can't overlook losing Sherod and then all the injuries. Tough season.
Grant and Rhoades will be fine.
Move this statement west and it sums up how I feel about this season too...UD is going to be a top team in the league as long as they have the commitment they have shown over the A-10 years.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Yeah, I really don't think there's a big cause for concern with UD. They lost 3 starters, including the National Player of the Year and another pro; so you're looking for less experienced guys to fill voids. And we have a crazy pandemic season that cut into practice time at the beginning of the year hurt that.

L vs SMU by 2
L at La Salle by 2
L at Fordham by 1
L at Rhode Island by 2 (in 2OT)

Obviously the loss at Saint Joseph's was a head scratcher. But if you're one bucket better in the other four games (on offense or defense), you're 18-5 overall, tied for the second in the league; The NET rating wouldn't be 80, it would be in the 40s.

So Dayton would be 3-2 vs Q1, 5-1 vs Q2; and VCU, Bona, SLU would have better Q1, Q2, Q3 results as UD moves up the list.

We'd be like a 4 or 5 bid league instead of a 1 to 3 bid league.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Now, back to the subject of Dayton and other coaching scenarios. There is a grace period for a new coach but in the situation where a program has been rolling before they are hired patience is thin when not capitalizing with NCAA bids. UD has a unique situation. Grant's first two years were met with pitchforks. He then had an incredible season which was derailed by a worldwide pandemic. No bid. Now a disappointing season with hope due to the #1 rated class of 2021. Tough one there. I understand. Rhoades was met with consternation after his first season. He then had a great year and got an at-large bid. Last year was a huge disappointment but the pandemic shut it down. Ironic that the effects had different perspectives from fans UD and Dayton. Both were disappointed but expectations were high for Dayton and VCU fans were worried. Rhoades then went to his young guys and they produced. Maybe Grant will have the same results with his 2021 class.

I understand Jaffie's post and it was an interesting read.
I think that Grant‘s second year was his best coaching effort - basically a seven player roster. This past year was easily his worst.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I believe it’s been reported elsewhere that Belmont has played its maximum # of out of conference games. If that is the case, it won’t happen.
They don't have a max number of OOC games anywhere in the rulebook. I'd have to scour for any COVID changes that would impact that. They might have lowered the number of countable games because they started late.

Usually, it's 28 + CT counts as 1 and an exempt tourney counts as 1 game even if you play 3-4 games.

So unless they dropped that to 23 + CT + Exempt, Belmont should have room.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
They don't have a max number of OOC games anywhere in the rulebook. I'd have to scour for any COVID changes that would impact that. They might have lowered the number of countable games because they started late.

Usually, it's 28 + CT counts as 1 and an exempt tourney counts as 1 game even if you play 3-4 games.

So unless they dropped that to 23 + CT + Exempt, Belmont should have room.
Everphone says there was a limit to OOC games this year, but I don’t think that is true. I think the only limit change was to total regular season games. It was 25 to 27 depending on tournaments.
Belmont played 20 conference and 7 OOC

21 - 29 of 29 Posts