1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The injury thread

This can be a thread dedicated to the injuries of players, updates etc etc

Marquis Daniels
Briefly: Marquis Daniels rejoins the team today, 11 days after his appendectomy. Daniels has been cleared for light workouts such as riding a stationary bike. He should be available to play after the All-Star break on Feb. 23 at Utah. ... Those victory celebrations the Mavericks have had lately can hurt a guy. Don Nelson was wearing a sling on his right arm after getting it jostled in the revelry of the two recent wins. "I got in the middle of the huddle and everybody was jumping around and banging my shoulder," he said. Nelson had rotator-cuff surgery Jan. 20.
Jerry Stackhouse
Stack still sidelined: Sixth-man Jerry Stackhouse continues to rehabilitate a strained right groin muscle and is doubtful tonight. He is not expected to play in Phoenix on Thursday, either. He spent Monday shooting and getting treatment on the injury, which he aggravated in the win against Sacramento on Friday
More Jerry Stackhouse
Stackhouse to rest: Jerry Stackhouse missed Sunday's game and may be out until after the All-Star break. His right groin strain was aggravated at least twice in the Friday win at Sacramento

·
do better
41,522 Posts
The only good thing about Stackhouse being out is that Finley can shake his slump, but once he comes back, what happens?

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marquis Daniels
Painful rehab: Marquis Daniels laughed at early projections that he would return to action a week after he had an appendectomy on Feb. 4.

"No way in the world I'd be ready in a week," Daniels said. "I needed a walker or a cane for those first couple days."

Daniels found out that the surgery, while done with an arthroscope through three small holes in his stomach, still hurt considerably more than he expected it to during recovery.

The 6-6 swingman said he expects to be practicing after the All-Star break and could play next Wednesday at Utah. It's a dramatic improvement from the first few hours and days after the surgery.

"I was on so many drugs I called my mom four times in a row," Daniels said. "She finally said, 'You know you already called me three times.' I had no idea."
Erick Dampier
Erick Dampier, greeted with a smattering of boos at the place where he played for seven seasons before joining the Mavericks last summer, left the game four minutes into the third quarter, clearly favoring his right leg.

Doctors said he had a strained tendon in his right foot after X-rays showed no fracture. He did not return to the game and is questionable for Thursday's visit to Phoenix.

"I can't remember anything happening to it," Dampier said. "It just started hurting throughout the game. We'll see how it feels at Phoenix. If I can't go, I'll rest it over the (All-Star) break."

Nelson said the Mavericks would not take any chances with Dampier against the Suns.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Damnit, will we ever have everyone available for an extended stretch so we can develop a rotation and chemistry?

I sure hope Damp is just a 0-1 game thing. Just when he was playing great he has to get hurt again.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I hate the fact that we have to face the Suns with no Damp, Daniels, or Stack. I think Stoudemire is going to have a field day with no one in the middle to at least put a body on him.
But I don't mind that everyone is going to rest through the all-star break. After the break, our team will be, for I think the first time this season, all together and healthy. Then we can see what this team can really do.

I am pumped for a second half push.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Injury Report

PHOENIX – The Mavericks made history Thursday night, completing the first 4-0 road trip in the franchise’s 25 years of existence.

The Mavericks overcame a double-digit deficit in the second half to knock off the Phoenix Suns 119-113 at America West Arena and complete the sweep of the pre-All-Star Game road trip.

Like the first three games of the trip, this one required a lot of backbone. The Mavericks trailed in the fourth quarter of all four of the wins.
Mavericks/NBA

Mavs 119, Phoenix 113

The long and winning road: Mavs top Suns

Mavs playing it safe with injuries

Harris, Howard foes in All-Star event

Box score

Inside the Mavericks free e-mail newsletter:

Mavericks Forum

More Mavericks

Down to nine healthy players, the Mavericks got superior efforts from Josh Howard, who had a career-high 30 points, and Michael Finley, who tossed in season-high-tying 33. Combined with a big rebounding night from Dirk Nowitzki, the Mavericks offset a monster performance by Phoenix big man Amare Stoudemire.

"An incredible road trip,'' coach Don Nelson said. "This just capped off a perfect week.''

The Mavericks trailed by 10 at halftime and slowly ate away at the gap, despite missing Erick Dampier, Jerry Stackhouse and Marquis Daniels.

They got strong efforts off the bench from Calvin Booth, Darrell Armstrong and Devin Harris.

Down 91-83, the Mavericks went on a 14-2 blitz. Booth then had two dunks as the Mavericks played sticky defense and grittily held on to the lead. Booth's second dunk made it 111-103, and Finley's fadeaway jumper at the shot-clock buzzer closed it out in the final minute.

"It says a lot about this team,'' said Howard. "Guys came in and played great ball for guys who were out.''

The Mavericks came up with countless big defensive plays, including a Dirk Nowitzki block of his good friend and former teammate Steve Nash late in the fourth.

Nowitzki had just 16 points, but pulled down 16 rebounds and had four assists, and he was a big reason why the Mavericks hit all 13 of their free throws in the fourth quarter. Nowitzki hit four of them.

And then there was Finley, who had a wonderful shooting night.

"Their game plan was to double- and triple-team Dirk all night and make somebody else beat them,'' Finley said. "So that opened things up for me and Josh, and the shots were going in.''

The Mavericks improved to 35-16 for the fourth seed in the Western Conference, three games ahead of Sacramento, their first victim on the trip.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: The injury thread

Erick Dampier, Josh Howard, Jerry Stackhouse and Marquis Daniels
The Mavericks may be without center Erick Dampier on Wednesday when they get back to business after the All-Star break.

Erick Dampier isn't sure how he injured his ankle last week, and no one is certain when the center will return to the lineup.

The 6-11 center remained in Dallas during the long weekend to get treatment on his sore right ankle and had an MRI performed Monday. Results will be known today. He's being listed as day-to-day, but the Mavericks will err on the side of caution regarding his return.

Dampier never determined how he hurt the ankle, but he came up limping last Tuesday at Golden State. He sat out the Phoenix game and canceled any All-Star plans to have the ankle worked on by the training staff.

More clear is the return of Marquis Daniels, who is expected to practice when the Mavericks reconvene for an afternoon workout today. Daniels has been out since a Feb. 4 appendectomy but should be cleared to play against the Jazz assuming there are no setbacks from today's practice.

The status of Jerry Stackhouse is less certain. Stackhouse sat out the last three games before the break with a strained right groin muscle. He has been going through light workouts and also is listed as day-to-day.

Meanwhile, Josh Howard, who has been battling a sinus problem, has improved steadily since Friday.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Erick Dampier
The Mavericks announced Tuesday center Erick Dampier will be out 2-3 weeks with a stress fracture in his right foot, another injury speed bump in what has been a trying campaign for the training staff.

In short, he makes the most of his time on the floor. Now, with Dampier out and Dallas facing 8-10 games before he returns, Henderson will get a chance to show what he can do with some extra court time.

Briefly: Erick Dampier said he was simply going to rest and do his rehabilitation in hopes of getting back within 10-14 days. He said he has never had a stress fracture before. ... Marquis Daniels (appendectomy) went through a light workout Tuesday and could play today or Thursday. "I'm still a little winded. Other than that, everything is pretty good," he said.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Devin Harris
Devin Harris told the media at-large late Thursday night that “all the body parts are accounted for,’’ a response to a question about the bone-jarring blindside pick set on the slight rookie by brutish Kings center Brad Miller.
But Harris told DallasBasketball.com that what is hoped is a minor knee problem – a body part unrelated to the collision – will be the subject of a noon pre-practice MRI on Friday.
“It’s nothing major,’’ Harris told us, revealing that he is suffering from more than just a Miller-caused strained neck. “Just precautionary.’’

·
Registered
391 Posts

If we can play good without all players and be fit by the playoffs, we can give the title a real shaking.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Jerry Stackhouse
Jerry Stackhouse has lost the right to decide on his health. But it's a privilege that was worth losing.

Stackhouse went through Sunday's practice, and his strained right groin muscle is getting healthier. But the Mavericks will not rely on their sixth man's opinion when it comes to his return.

Stackhouse said he could play Feb. 11 at Sacramento. He scored 14 points and helped the Mavericks upset the Kings. He also aggravated the groin strain.

"That's why my opinion doesn't count anymore," he said.

Since then, Stackhouse has missed six games, three before the All-Star Game and three after.

"I kind of left it up to him in that game," coach Don Nelson said. "Thank goodness we won the game."

Stackhouse will not be rushed back again. He likely is out again tonight against New Orleans, but he could play Wednesday in Los Angeles against the Clipper
Dirk Nowitzki
Dirk Nowitzki sat out Sunday's practice with a sore right hamstring.

"I'm hoping to give it a go [tonight]," he said.

Nowitzki has been remarkably durable this season, missing only one game despite playing heavy minutes. He has not played fewer than 38 minutes in any game since Christmas.

Coach Don Nelson said he expects Nowitzki to play, although it is unusual for him to sit out a practice.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Michael Finley
LOS ANGELES – Michael Finley has struggled the last week.

Now we have an idea why.

Finley was held out of Friday night's game against the Los Angeles Lakers with a left calf contusion. His status for Sunday's nationally televised game against Houston is uncertain.

"If that's contributed to his last three games, his lack of production, then he shouldn't play anyway," Mavericks coach Don Nelson said. "He just hasn't been giving us very much."

Finley averaged 9.3 points and went 11-of-36 from the field (30.5 percent) in those three games, two of which the Mavericks lost. He's managed only four rebounds in his last 103 minutes on the court, a number that has gotten Nelson's attention. Nelson pulled Finley over in the first quarter of Wednesday's loss to the Los Angeles Clippers and could be heard asking the guard why he didn't go to the offensive boards when Dirk Nowitzki shot.

Before that game, Nelson talked about wanting to limit Finley to 26-28 minutes a game the remainder of the regular season.

"That's a coach's decision," Finley said as he limped out of the locker room after the loss to the Clippers. "Whatever he feels is beneficial for the team, I'm willing to do it."

Jerry Stackhouse took Finley's place in the starting lineup

Josh Howard, Dirk Nowitzki, Erick Dampier, Marquis Daniels, Michael Finley x2 have all been injured/sick for a few games, god this is unfair

1 - 20 of 48 Posts