Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<i>PM me to join the "Jerry Reinsdorf, Please Sell the Bulls to Someone Who Doesn't Have to Worry About Putting Profit in the Pockets of a Bunch of Miserly Minority Partners" Club!
1. ScottMay. 2. F. Jerzy 3. onetenthlag 4. E L D R U H M A I 5. DaBullz 6. kukoc4ever 7. willieblack 8. King Joseus 9. Note: Special limited 4-year-only memberships are available to Bulls' rookies
http://www.forbes.com/home/free_forbes/2003/0217/072tab.html
</i>

Maybe I missed the thread, but I'm curious...surely you guys know that the primary purpose for the existence of any business is to make money?...even uber fan Mark Cuban sweats the bottom dollar...

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
That's it. You're suspended GB.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Perhaps instead of the standings we should start cheering rises and boing falls in the Bulls' earning reports :)

Of course it's a business. It's just that it's a business that:

* Is strongly shielded from competition
* With extremely risk averse ownership
* That says it's hands off until it the various points it sticks its head in and tells management what the overall strategies have to be, what individual investments to make (Rose, Curry), and what the budget should be.
* That has made a consistent pattern of paying resources that are useless, sit idle, or are obsolete at the expense of younger and/or more productive resources.
* That has consistently changed it's "corporate vision"
* That hires leaders with almost no practical experience to guide the ship.
* That is content to live off its brand name (which at one time was known world wide), while seeing it sink into oblivion.

The Bulls have been one of the most profitable teams in the league in the MJ era, but they've done nothing but sustain this. Almost every other team in the league has grown significantly in the same period. As we continue to suck, sustaining revenues becomes increasingly difficult, and we are slowly sinking back from our special position to one of mediocrity as a money making endeavor.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GB</b>!
<i>PM me to join the "Jerry Reinsdorf, Please Sell the Bulls to Someone Who Doesn't Have to Worry About Putting Profit in the Pockets of a Bunch of Miserly Minority Partners" Club!
1. ScottMay. 2. F. Jerzy 3. onetenthlag 4. E L D R U H M A I 5. DaBullz 6. kukoc4ever 7. willieblack 8. King Joseus 9. Note: Special limited 4-year-only memberships are available to Bulls' rookies
http://www.forbes.com/home/free_forbes/2003/0217/072tab.html
</i>

Maybe I missed the thread, but I'm curious...surely you guys know that the primary purpose for the existence of any business is to make money?...even uber fan Mark Cuban sweats the bottom dollar...
Speaking only for myself, yes, I am aware that any professional team is by definition a profit-seeking venture, even though more often than not most owners make their big money through the appreciation of their investment, not net income.

The reason I founded the "Reinsdorf please sell the Bulls" club is that I see a fantastically rich organization making penny-pinching moves even as the team fails horribly -- verging on historically inept for a non-expansion franchise, in fact -- on the court.

I feel that Reinsdorf's oft-stated willingness to spend money on players AFTER the team proves it can win is a classic vicious circle, one that practically guarantees the profit-taking and losing will continue in perpetuity until the team lucks into a Jordan, Duncan, or LeBron type of player. I feel that the fact the Bulls are owned by multiple investors diminishes any sense of urgency in getting things turned around.

When I've had this argument with the pro-ownership faction before, it's been pointed out to me that the one-owner, high-personal-interest, big-expenditure teams like the Knicks, Blazers, Mavericks, and Redskins have very little to show for their efforts. That may be true, but keep in mind that for the last six years our financial model has been the slash-and-hoard Clippers. In fact, we've out-Clippered the Clippers.

There is a middle ground. I am not advocating that the Bulls' ownership goes on an irresponsible spending spree or blows money on high-priced, mediocre players. But it does worry me that every deal since 1998 we've made involving one of our young players can be seen as a salary dump, and it does worry me that we seem to hire on the cheap when it comes to front-office types and coaching staff, and it does worry me that "budgets" and what-not are so frequently invoked in discussions of personnel matters. That is preposterous in the face of the organization clearing 40-50 million in profit every year.

I genuinely believe the organization needs a culture change outside the lines as well as within. From a business standpoint, there is no reason at all for the Bulls ownership to upset the applecart. People still (for reasons that defy common sense) come to the UC in droves, the NBA writes Reinsdorf a huge revenue-sharing check every season, and the profits just keep rolling in. Since the Bulls' owners do not--if you subscribe to the theory that actions speak louder than words--seem to care about how the team does on the court, in my mind, the best thing that could happen to us as fans would be for the Bulls to be sold to a single owner who is a fan first, businessperson second.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Perhaps instead of the standings we should start cheering rises and boing falls in the Bulls' earning reports :)
Exactly . . . surely, GB, you know that the primary purpose for the existence of any fan is to want his or her team to do whatever it takes to succeed?

I agree with you that even Cuban keeps an eye on the bottom line . . . I wish I could say the same about Reinsdorf keeping an eye on the standings.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Why don't we just make Michael Jordan and Bill Gates co-owners of the franchise. Jordan does all the bball stuff while Gates just gives the money out.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
The sad thing is...

We used to have a poster here named BamaBull. He used to complain that the team never really changed, in spite of different players. It was the same old losing Bulls with Rose playing the same role as Mercer. And then it was the same old losing Bulls with Crawford playing the same role as Mercer and Rose.

Now we have the same old losing team with nobody in the scoring role.

Kewl.

EDIT:

The thing is if we do win a few games, we have to pay our players. Hence it makes a ton of sense to get rid of Rose and Marshall and take on JYD and AD who won't help us win.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts