Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Spurs will have the salary space to satisfy Kidd because David Robinson is retiring. But the belief, with developing point guard Tony Parker, is they'll go for Clippers free agent Michael Olowokandi to free Duncan from having to guard Shaquille O'Neal.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-021117smithcolumn,0,5713468.column?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Like anyone from SA in return for an off-season sign and trade? Not sure right off that SA has much in salary to satisfy a SAT according to the CBA.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Olowokandi is ready to go. With the Clippers off to a 3-7 start, there is talk that coach Alvin Gentry is on the way out, and he'll likely be followed by many of his players.

In Miami last week, Lamar Odom, on the injured list, talked of playing for Pat Riley.

"I'd say Miami would probably be my first choice," Odom said. "When your contract is up, even when you love a city, love the guys on your team, one day you might be somewhere else."

Odom is a restricted free agent, but unrestricted free agent Olowokandi said: "Pat Riley is the kind of coach any player should definitely be honored to play for. He runs a first-class system that gets the best out of players. Take how Ike Austin played with the Clippers [and] then he did with Miami."

The Clippers' Eric Piatkowski, Corey Maggette, Andre Miller and Elton Brand also are free agents.

"Our start is discouraging," said Brand, averaging 15.7 points and 12.8 rebounds. "With all the potential we have, it's tough. When you're playing against a team with cap room, guys want to put up extra shots. It's like guys say, 'OK, they got cap room, I've got to put up 10 extra shots.' But that's the nature of the business. You see other teams. They're trying to lock up as many of their players as they can so they won't have this. I haven't felt it too much yet, but I'm afraid it will get worse."

Then there's former Clipper Darius Miles, now with the Cavaliers, walking off the court against the Pacers last week. He shook hands with Pacers coach Isiah Thomas and said: "Hey, man, come and get me. I want to play with y'all."
Not to bring the negativity, but then again ain't nobody on this board anyway...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts