Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Belong to he who will have the guts to take it to the rack this season.

We need our perimeter guys to break it on down from the outside and take it in

Ron Mercer could have , should have been that player - ERob when he was on the court had a strange aversion to taking it in

Why ?

Were we that intimidated by how horrible we were and that we were not going to get any calls from the refs so we accepted our pathetic state and tried to win from the outside

No one wins from the outside . Consistently anyway .

Just ask the Bucks

And the Mavs in 2 or 3 seasons from now .

A key sign of the basketball health of a team , notwithstanding the modern "soft" trend of trying to win from the perimeter and constructing your side accordingly with 6'10 jump shooting wussies , is the aggression that comes out of confidence in putting it on the floor and making the defense play you in a more do or die sense.

That's the one I'm talkin about.

All you need is just one guy to live and breathe the agression in this role by example and it then becomes contagious

Stack gets dissed a lot but even though there are some issues I have with certain aspects of his game , he just comes straight at you and will not back down . He will go the hole all night and consequently he helps his team win because he can burn you at the line. This was one of the key differences that seperated Stack from the player Ron Mercer should have been - and still could be

Jay is a charmer and a darling that has the capacity to woo the refs because he is a Golden Child type. He plays the game and uses authority to his advantage rather than pi$$ing on it and turning it into a zero sum game. He works it.

Because of this and because of his speed and handles - plus the aggression that just oozes out of him he has to be the guy to lead the attack to the hole and set the tone for this team

It is vitally important for the mindset that is trying to be established for this team that this gets entrenched right from day 1 of the new season .

Take it in strong . No prisioners . Make this team a man's team again. No ***** jump shooting namby pamby bunch of imposters that are corrupted by the d*ckless new school of thought on how to play basketball.

Bring the pride back

·
Registered
135 Posts
I hope JWill turns out to be the player that a lot of fans believe that he can be in this league. As a Bulls fan I mean this with all sincerity, because as of now...I not as confident in his future as a "STAR" as I am in his ability to be a contributing if not solid player. Just one opinion...doesn't make it the right one. Looking at FJ's post I can't help but to wonder which JWill will be the most visible this year, the jumpshooter(3 pointers) or the the penetrator our team seems to need.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Jay Williams is a WIN WIN situation!

Originally posted by willieblack
I hope JWill turns out to be the player that a lot of fans believe that he can be in this league. As a Bulls fan I mean this with all sincerity, because as of now...I not as confident in his future as a "STAR" as I am in his ability to be a contributing if not solid player. Just one opinion...doesn't make it the right one. Looking at FJ's post I can't help but to wonder which JWill will be the most visible this year, the jumpshooter(3 pointers) or the the penetrator our team seems to need.
This is the ONLY way I can see it. IF he becomes the leagues best pg ever, we are the winners in drafting him. IF he becomes as good as Ron Harper as a SOLID guard, we are a winner for drafting him. All the things Harp did for the dynasty here might forever go unnoticed by many, but not by me. We NEED players like Harp, Bueschler, Kerr and the like. These new guys, Crawford, Williams and mason would be an integral part of our new team IF they could be as productive as the before mentioned Bullls stars! You only need two stars on a team....many of you believe chandler and curry to be those two....so? we are set, right? just a thought. GO BULLS~~~:grinning:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Re: Jay Williams is a WIN WIN situation!

Originally posted by BamaBull
Re: Jay Williams is a WIN WIN situation! This is the ONLY way I can see it. IF he becomes the leagues best pg ever, we are the winners in drafting him. IF he becomes as good as Ron Harper as a SOLID guard, we are a winner for drafting him.
I completely disagree.

By drafting Jwill, we lost Best. We risk alienating Craw big-time.

By drafting Jwill, we passed over every player in this year's draft except Ming and a lot of decent trade offers.

Jwill will play in the league for 10 years and will surely be a SOLID guard at least. However, if this happens, he may only be a SOLID team player on his third team in the league. It's very unlikely to happen with the Bulls. With the Bulls, he will be star or he will move to a second or third situation where the club thinks he can be a star.

For examples. See Larry Hughes, Chancey Billups or Antonio Daniels.

Now, with all of that said, I backed picking JWill 100% & still think that he will be at least a top 8 or 10 PG in 2 years. But, summer league was rough.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Originally posted by FJ_of _Rockaway
Belong to he who will have the guts to take it to the rack this season.

We need our perimeter guys to break it on down from the outside and take it in

Ron Mercer could have , should have been that player - ERob when he was on the court had a strange aversion to taking it in

Why ?

Were we that intimidated by how horrible we were and that we were not going to get any calls from the refs so we accepted our pathetic state and tried to win from the outside

No one wins from the outside . Consistently anyway .

Just ask the Bucks

And the Mavs in 2 or 3 seasons from now .

A key sign of the basketball health of a team , notwithstanding the modern "soft" trend of trying to win from the perimeter and constructing your side accordingly with 6'10 jump shooting wussies , is the aggression that comes out of confidence in putting it on the floor and making the defense play you in a more do or die sense.

That's the one I'm talkin about.

All you need is just one guy to live and breathe the agression in this role by example and it then becomes contagious

Stack gets dissed a lot but even though there are some issues I have with certain aspects of his game , he just comes straight at you and will not back down . He will go the hole all night and consequently he helps his team win because he can burn you at the line. This was one of the key differences that seperated Stack from the player Ron Mercer should have been - and still could be

Jay is a charmer and a darling that has the capacity to woo the refs because he is a Golden Child type. He plays the game and uses authority to his advantage rather than pi$$ing on it and turning it into a zero sum game. He works it.

Because of this and because of his speed and handles - plus the aggression that just oozes out of him he has to be the guy to lead the attack to the hole and set the tone for this team

It is vitally important for the mindset that is trying to be established for this team that this gets entrenched right from day 1 of the new season .

Take it in strong . No prisioners . Make this team a man's team again. No ***** jump shooting namby pamby bunch of imposters that are corrupted by the d*ckless new school of thought on how to play basketball.

Bring the pride back
This is one of the very best and most accurate posts of the entire offseason. Major props FJ, this is the kind of stuff that makes going through some these posts palatable. You were the earliest recognizeable consistent champion of Jay Williams for the past couple years and I do feel he is most capable of delivering as you described.
Jay can be the man to lead us where we need to go and I am so happy he is ours.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I agree. Good post, FJ.

Aggression is the key, but that means that the triangle has to go through some alterations. One of the weaknesses of the triple post, I think, is that with the zone rules in force, if a guard commits to breaking his man down, then help defense can come very easily. The Bulls version of the triangle will allow this, unfortunately, and one of the reasons the triangle was so successful before was because Jordan and Pippen both felt comfortable putting up shots amidst double teams. Who is going to be that guy for us now?

Adapting a Houston-style isolation offense once in a while isn't a bad idea, perhaps.

If Jay is willing to penetrate often, then we have ourselves an interesting team. I think it's best when the penetrator is the point, and not the SG, because a good point guard always has the offensive flow in mind, and can distribute off the drive with ease. If there is a SG that can do that, he's essentially a PG playing the 2.

I agree that Mercer could have been that guy too, but I'd rather have someone with slightly better passing skills.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If "Jay" drives and dishes(without a high amount of TO's that were his fault) then I will embrace him. :love: I will use a "Jay" avatar(if the site supplies one).

I hope he uses the threat of shooting a 3 as a means to set up his defender to drive by him and not the other way around.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Along those lines Sicky, the thing I liked about the one game we were able to watch during summer league was that JWill was able to penetrate and get his shot off. While a lot of fans were upset that he didn't finish frequently, he did break the defense down and allowed our big guys to get some easy putbacks. These 2nd chance points do not happen often if your point guard is launching jumpshots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts