Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know most of us don't believe they can make it, but now it looks like the players don't believe it either. They have no fight left in them and have given up. They're hardly even competing anymore.

I've said this once, and I'll say it again: if this was any other situation the coach would've been fired, but Frank Hamblen gets a free pass to be as awful as possible because he's one of Phil Jackson's guys. He's tried to install the triangle offense in the middle of a season and has forgotten entirely about defense, except for the little soundbites he gives the media about how bad the defense is. Not that it'd do any good to fire him now because we're not going to make the playoffs anyway, but back when we started running the tri there was plenty of time to get things together. Ever since it was installed the team has played like garbage. I knew it was a bad idea.

If the Lakers don't know 100% that Jackson's coming back next year then they've wasted this season trying to force this system in in the middle of a playoff push. I don't think it's a coincidence that the defense started to get as bad as it has at the same time they started running the triangle. I think it's confused the hell out of the players and they've forgotten about the other end of the floor. Now that it's snowballed and gotten out of control they don't even seem to have the will to fight anymore.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Defense is one of the reasons I wanted George Karl over the summer, despite some problems he may have had with his players.

I don't scoring is that big a problem, they need to focus on D.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
If the Lakers don't know 100% that Jackson's coming back next year then they've wasted this season trying to force this system in in the middle of a playoff push.
I think that's just it; they know he's coming back, and hiring Shaw and Rambis as assistants were further precursors to the inevitable. But I agree, if they don't hire a coach who's going to continue to teach the tri to this group of Lakers, there was no point in teaching it mid-stream.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the defense started to get as bad as it has at the same time they started running the triangle.
The defense has been bad all year, the difference is that the Lakers have been playing much harder teams lately, and on the road more. Their first few months were pretty easy schedule-wise.

But yeah, I expect these guys to completely mail it in once they’re mathematically out of the playoffs. I think Odom being out further compounds their confidence problems.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I was alot more enthusiastic about PJ coming back when the rumors 1st surfaced then I am now.

I trust him less than I do Mitch when it comes to drafting players. He likes thinking players instead of athlete's.

I think the PJ/ Kobe dynamic is gonna be a mess.

If I had to gauge it I think its probably a done deal. Bringing in Shaw and Rambis is a clear sign. And running the triangle was a given when they were hired and has been a complete mess.

Hamblen just doesn't have a clue in how to manage a game. He's an idiot.

As for mailing it in. I doubt it they just aren't any good and can't win with an incompetent coach. We see now how good a job Rudy T was doing holding things together. Actually with Rudy is seemed like we were always on the verge of stringing games together. With Frank we've never had any momentum.

And now with odom out our rebounding and 2nd scoring option has been trashed . And now Kobe can't dig us out by himself because he's literally playing by himself.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
It's funny too, because they have only 3 more games before they hit April, which will definitely make them look like they're mailing it in. Spurs, Grizzlies, Suns, Rockets, Sonics, Kings, Suns, Kings and Mavericks consecutively between April 2nd and April 17th. Either way, atleast they'll get their pick, if only they had Jerry West to make the pick for them.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think its silly to think that Phil Jackson is coming back to coach the Lakers. I mean, honestly. I'm not even sure he'll take a coaching job. But I definitely don't see it happening with L.A.

I mean, he wants to come back to win a championship, probably immediately. Its why he went from Chicago to L.A. because L.A. had Kobe and Shaq. Now that its just Kobe, the chances are MUCH, MUCH slimmer.

I just don't see it happening.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
stockfire said:
I think its silly to think that Phil Jackson is coming back to coach the Lakers. I mean, honestly. I'm not even sure he'll take a coaching job. But I definitely don't see it happening with L.A.

I mean, he wants to come back to win a championship, probably immediately. Its why he went from Chicago to L.A. because L.A. had Kobe and Shaq. Now that its just Kobe, the chances are MUCH, MUCH slimmer.

I just don't see it happening.
It would be pretty weird if he didn't actually, as hiring Shaw and Rambis and installing the tri mid-season makes no sense if Jackson isn't coming back. But Kupchak has made worse decisions.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I understand that.

But I see it as trying a system that worked previously with winning Laker teams.

I mean, things aren't going as well as hoped, so why not try to revert to a system that Kobe is used to and the team won in, even if there are new players. It's an established offense that your number 1 guy knows well.

I, personally, see it as an effort to make a playoff push by going back to an old method, rather than a sign of the second coming of Phil.

edit: changed "are" to "aren't" wow. makes a big difference :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts