Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 something very interesting...odd I suppose. COming out of the timeout, Martell Webster was the first player out on the court, warmups off rubbing his hands together, then he looked around and saw 5 other Blazers also walking out onto the floor, kinda looked confused tehn walked back to the bench.

#2 Zach needed to either just shoot it or pass it...None of that hitch up the sdistance to the defneder thn decide to shoot. It threw off his rythum.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Here's a thought...

It was an absolutely pathetic play, then after the miss they stood around and pointed fingers and had a pow wow while Hamilton ran the clock out.

I honestly have no idea why in the world the Blazers get to play on national TV even if playing against the Pistons.

Glad they at least put up a good fight for the most part and didn't embarrass themselves, but that's what I was hoping for.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Schilly said:
#1 something very interesting...odd I suppose. COming out of the timeout, Martell Webster was the first player out on the court, warmups off rubbing his hands together, then he looked around and saw 5 other Blazers also walking out onto the floor, kinda looked confused tehn walked back to the bench.

#2 Zach needed to either just shoot it or pass it...None of that hitch up the sdistance to the defneder thn decide to shoot. It threw off his rythum.
He knew he made a mistake, and Nate does too (he mentioned it in the post-game interview). It's entirely possible the game could have gone to overtime.

As for Martell, I think he went out as a decoy to confuse the Pistons momentarily, and that it was intentional (either Nate "forgot" to tell him he wasn't in the play, or Martell's a good actor). In the post-game interviews, Nate made no mention, but that's my theory.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Schilly said:
I agree. But to me, and I may be wrong, it looked like he was thinking of looking for another open player to give it up to. I really don't think that play could have possibly been drawn up for Zach and I think he was a little surprised he had the ball. You're right though, he still should have fired it up right away.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Don't you guys think it's a bad sign that you need a 3 to tie the game, and Z-Bo is an option to take the shot?

BTW, Z-Bo was pump faking all night, he'd have open looks and pump fake which allowed the defender to actually end up making a play on the shot, no surprise he did it there at the end.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Nate said Zach was the second option, that the play had been drawn up for Dixon, but if he couldn't get open, Zach was supposed to try the open shot, because it was unexpected, and not *too* far out of his range (hey, even Duckworth could hit the occaisonal three). The only mistake was the hesitation, from Nate and Zach's point of view (that, and Nate wanted a foul in the closing seconds, but the team didn't try).

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
arenas809 said:
Here's a thought...

It was an absolutely pathetic play, then after the miss they stood around and pointed fingers and had a pow wow while Hamilton ran the clock out.

I honestly have no idea why in the world the Blazers get to play on national TV even if playing against the Pistons.

Glad they at least put up a good fight for the most part and didn't embarrass themselves, but that's what I was hoping for.
Well what were they gonna do? Foul and go down by 5 with 4 seconds to go?

You don't need to taunt us about our National air time...We haven't had 20+ years to prove how unworthy of national TV we are, as the CLippers have, even if they are playing good this year.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I would have liked to have seen Martell, Jarret and Sergei out there attempting a 3 rather than Miles, Randolph and Ratliff...

Oh well, I'm no NBA coach.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
arenas809 said:
Don't you guys think it's a bad sign that you need a 3 to tie the game, and Z-Bo is an option to take the shot?

BTW, Z-Bo was pump faking all night, he'd have open looks and pump fake which allowed the defender to actually end up making a play on the shot, no surprise he did it there at the end.
Wow, it's a bad sign we needed a 3 to tie the game, most nights the lodsing team doesn't even have that. Considering Portland is pegged as on of the worst teams and Detroit is pegged as one of the best how is it a bad sign unless you simply trying to stir the pot?

He didn't pump fake on the last play, turn on ESPN news tehir showing it about every half hour or so. He hitched in his though about wether to shoot or not.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
arenas809 said:
Duh. What clued you in to that genius? We don't have much outside shooting, in case you didn't notice Einstein.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Schilly said:
Well what were they gonna do? Foul and go down by 5 with 4 seconds to go?

You don't need to taunt us about our National air time...We haven't had 20+ years to prove how unworthy of national TV we are, as the CLippers have, even if they are playing good this year.
20 + years?

try 25+ years..

considering since the Clippers moved to LA they've had 1 season where they've finished with more wins than Portland, getting a 2nd doesn't mean it's time to brag about things.

(funny but true story. the braves were the first expansion team (of port, cleve and buff) to win 49 games..then cleveland, then portland)..

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Though I don't agree with the way arenas809 states certain things, I do agree that Zach pump fakes too much for my liking. He'll be wide open and he'll pump fake. I don't know if that's just how he get's into a rhythem or what but I'd like to see him be a little quicker with his shot.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
SheedSoNasty said:
I would have liked to have seen Martell, Jarret and Sergei out there attempting a 3 rather than Miles, Randolph and Ratliff...

Oh well, I'm no NBA coach.
Nate had an interesting theory about that in his interview -- a smaller, jump-shooting squad is easier for the opposing team to defend, where they play a three-point arc zone, and force us to shoot over larger guys. But having Theo and Zach allowed for screens to be set. It didn't work, but Detroit is Detroit, not Phoenix. They were defending us well.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
SheedSoNasty said:
Though I don't agree with the way arenas809 states certain things, I do agree that Zach pump fakes too much for my liking. He'll be wide open and he'll pump fake. I don't know if that's just how he get's into a rhythem or what but I'd like to see him be a little quicker with his shot.
Did he have any shots blocked tonight? No. So...it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Hap said:
20 + years?

try 25+ years..
Doesn't 20+ encompass 25+ through infinity?

C'mon Hap.

:)

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SheedSoNasty said:
Actually it's interesting, Zach remoinds me a lot of Bonzi, both were very affective when they cught the ball and made quick shots, that's how they made it into the starting lineup. Now Zach is alittle overconsumedby the working the block. His lack of elevation means he has to get his defender out of position and one way he does that is by pump faking. Could simply be a habit....But I don't think that was pump fake at the end it was a brain hitch.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Fork said:
Did he have any shots blocked tonight? No. So...it doesn't matter.
It might increase his shooting percentage, so yes it does matter.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Schilly said:
But I don't think that was pump fake at the end it was a brain hitch.
I'm not necessarily talking about the last shot. This is something I've noticed over the last 3 games. As long as it's going in I have nothing against it, it just makes me nervous.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
BlazerCaravan said:
Ben Wallace got a piece of the final shot.
The ball hit the rim. He must not have gotten much of it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts