Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most everyone has this thread, and eventually I will merge this with the million post thread. Basically just something to blog about my thoughts, life experiences, etc.

Next Tuesday I start my senior year of High School. Exciting times should ensue and i'm excited to dive into my last year of High School. It's funny because this time 3 years ago I was starting high school and now everything is so much different from when it was as a freshman. From the people, to events and places, and all other sorts of things. Thinking ahead to a year from now I will almost cut off my communication with quite a few of them and make even more new friends. Today I was browsing through my Itunes library and stumbled upon the song "My Block" by Scarface. It got me thinking of the area I have grown up in and how everything has changed on this street in which I have lived the past 9 years or so. Our street may be the busiest in town with people and such. 3 churches, a park down the road, and quite a few students live in this area. I was driving past some of the places that were popular back in 8th grade but now me and my friends never go (or anyone for that matter) to these places. My friends house for example we used to play tackle football everytime we had a half day in middle school. We used to have fights back there and even play baseball. Now theres a hole in the ground where they are planning to put a pool so we cant go there anymore. Driving a little further I come across a parking lot in which we used to play kickball almost everyday after school up until High School started. Across the street is a church which has a gym with two basketball courts. Wednesday nights in 8th grade everyone went to youthgroup. We had a sermon, an activity, then we either played basketball, or dodgeball. All my practices for our school teams league at a local college took place here as a kid. Even as far back as a year ago every high school kid would go to have fun on friday nights. Doesn't happen anymore. Go down the road a little further you come to another church where there is an incline that local BMX'ers take advantage of. As a middle schooler I busted my mouth on the pavement and thats what caused me to end up in braces for 4 years. Go down a little further and you pass a house another one of my buddies used to live in. We once videotaped us jousting on bikes with rakes and if we ever find it its going on youtube. Then as you approach an intersection you see an apartment loft on top of one of the businesses where one of my friends resided for 2 years (7th, 8th grade). Everytime we had a snow day I would walk a mile down the road and we would play tony hawk, or NBA Live all day. You finally reach the park, the center of our town. The first thing thats noticeable is a pool in which was popular 4-5 years ago now no one of any age goes really. You turn left and you see what is now a basketball court/skate park seperated by a fence. 5-6 years ago the fence didn't exist and it was basketball/tennis courts. During the summer I would play tennis baseball (basically wiffleball with a tennis racket and tennis ball) on these courts with a bunch of older friends of mine. On that field at any time was possibly 7-8 D1 baseball players and a few more who either couldnt cut it two years at a JUCO to play D1 or didn't go to college. I was the only non baseball player there and it's fitting that I will be playing D3 basetball next fall somewhere. Afterwards we would go to the local ice cream shop and the losing team would buy everyone ice cream. On the other side of the current skatepark is a baseball field in which the little league games for 7th and 8th graders are played. When I was in 7th or 8th grade I would always go down with a cute girl or two to watch these games. I like all my current friends, and what has happened over time. but thinking back it almost brings a tear to my eye. No longer can I call one person and twenty minutes later we have 20 for a kickball, or football game. No more teen swims at the local pool, or ice cream socials at the ice cream shop. Just weird how things change so fast and everything. I'm hoping my final year of high school is just as fun as my 8th grade year and I can look back in 3 years when I home for the summer and look upon those places and sites as memories.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The school year for me starts Tuesday. :azdaja: My senior year of High School is in full swing. Our football team opened with a win on Thursday so that was pretty tight. Not looking forward to my creative writing or calculus classes this year. I'm ready to go although adjusting my sleeping schedule is going to be hell at first. If you want to feel free to give me advice for the senior year. It should be a fun year and i'm looking foward to it. Parties, football, and everything should be getting in full swing very soon. Also i'm turning in my application for Dollar General tomorrow so hopefully that works out so I won't have to work at McDoanlds anymore :yay: Until my next entry take it easy :peace:

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
I also start Tuesday. Although due to the complicated butt**** that is my life, I could be pulled out of classes after Friday. We'll see what happens. Hey, if it does, more time I have at Flagler assuming I can get in there for 09-10. The students there (as of February) are 64% women and they have one of the 3 nationally certified sports management programs in Florida or something like that. I'll get in there if it kills me.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also start Tuesday. Although due to the complicated butt**** that is my life, I could be pulled out of classes after Friday. We'll see what happens. Hey, if it does, more time I have at Flagler assuming I can get in there for 09-10. The students there (as of February) are 64% women and they have one of the 3 nationally certified sports management programs in Florida or something like that. I'll get in there if it kills me.
Your going into sports management as well? Thats what I'm looking at going into. Interesting. My counselor told me while scheduling in the spring I should get a bachelors in business administration or finance because it gives you the same opportunities as a sports management bachelors degree. Than go to grad school for sports management. Just what she told me, you may want to look into it some more.

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
6 years? Damn, all the partying, drinking and ****ing might lose some of its allure by then (though I could just keep railing the freshmen. I'll get a fresh batch every year).

The awesome thing about Flagler is that it offers numerous internships with various pro organizations, among them the NBA's Celtics and Magic, the NFL's Jaguars, and I think the Rays might have been in there too. Not sure. If I can't get in there I'll try Florida U. If that doesn't work I'll look into places in California, Washington (state, i'll get raped in D.C.), maybe the more civilized sections of Texas. All up in the air right now because of my mother's ****** trust attornies.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6 years? Damn, all the partying, drinking and ****ing might lose some of its allure by then (though I could just keep railing the freshmen. I'll get a fresh batch every year).

The awesome thing about Flagler is that it offers numerous internships with various pro organizations, among them the NBA's Celtics and Magic, the NFL's Jaguars, and I think the Rays might have been in there too. Not sure. If I can't get in there I'll try Florida U. If that doesn't work I'll look into places in California, Washington (state, i'll get raped in D.C.), maybe the more civilized sections of Texas. All up in the air right now because of my mother's ****** trust attornies.
Yeah you may want to double check on that but following that route is supposed to help get more job opportunities which equals more moolah. What are you looking to get out of the degree? Like job wise?

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
Realistically or in my dreams?

Dreams - head honcho of some notable NBA or NFL team (not baseball, way too much of a pain in the *** with the minors)

Somewhat Realistically - some front office position with afore-mentioned teams that pays ok

Realistically - ****. who knows. :laugh:

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Realistically or in my dreams?

Dreams - head honcho of some notable NBA or NFL team (not baseball, way too much of a pain in the *** with the minors)

Somewhat Realistically - some front office position with afore-mentioned teams that pays ok

Realistically - ****. who knows. :laugh:
:lol: yeah. Thats probably how mine shakes out. I guess I'll see what happens. The counselor for college **** at my High School said Ohio University has a good sports management program.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Finance sounds like a major that will pay for itself down the road if you can stomach the courses. I couldn't deal with all the business classes. Heh.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Yeah mother****ers.

Tucker, the new No. 1 in AAAA, is not one of them. The Tigers should have little trouble Friday at Adams Stadium against Lakeside, which lost 70-7 to Columbia last week.

Tucker, No. 1 for the first time since 1995, beat Brunswick 26-12 in its road opener Friday.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah mother****ers.
Damn. My high school finished second in the state last year in football. First time we ever won districts, regionals, and first time we advanced to play in Ford Field/Pontiac Silverdome (for old times sake). The town got so into it **** was crazy.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man oh man I'm such a confused dude right now. Women are a confusing subject let me tell ya. Basically some girl likes me (whether that still remains I don't know, i'm sure she does somewhat at this point). I started falling for her and then I guess something changed. With a dead cell and her not logging onto a messenger at this point I still don't know what to think as we haven't talked. I'm just confused as **** and it's bothering me. Hopefully we can sit down and talk sometime soon because I really need to know whats going on, what could go on, etc so I can decide if i'm wasting my time or not. God damn I cannot wait for the weekend. Friday I better get off of work so I can go to the biggest football game of the year in my area, afterwards I'm going to a party. Saturday i'm watching ND then scooting down to Toledo to watch UT's homecoming game and then probably party down there afterwards. So hopefully everything works out.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been a while since I wrote in here, about 6 months to be exact. I think I have finally made up my mind about college anyways. I'm planning on going to a community college nearby for a year, and working to save up some money and then transfer out west somewhere. My hope is Arizona State as long as my family and I can work out the financial side of things I should be a Sun Devil in the fall of 2010. I just can't stand the cold weather, and the closed mindedness of some of the people around here. Make no mistake I have a ton of friends, and have made a ton of fun memories i'll never forget but it's time for me to move on and have a change of scenery. I'm still planning on studying finance and ASU's business school is top notch. I guess i'll see how it works out but thats the blueprint I have so far.

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
Getting away from home feels great. I go to school in Mass, and I love having the freedom.

Leaving home for school is probably the best thing I could've done.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Been a while since I wrote in here, about 6 months to be exact. I think I have finally made up my mind about college anyways. I'm planning on going to a community college nearby for a year, and working to save up some money and then transfer out west somewhere. My hope is Arizona State as long as my family and I can work out the financial side of things I should be a Sun Devil in the fall of 2010. I just can't stand the cold weather, and the closed mindedness of some of the people around here. Make no mistake I have a ton of friends, and have made a ton of fun memories i'll never forget but it's time for me to move on and have a change of scenery. I'm still planning on studying finance and ASU's business school is top notch. I guess i'll see how it works out but thats the blueprint I have so far.
I probably should have done what you are doing. I went to a really good university after high school but ended up dropping out after two semesters, then enrolling at a community college, then transferring to a state university. It would have saved me some money for sure.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking back, and Arizona State? Man Central is awesome, but how I would have loved to go to ASU. Probably would have flunked out, but the weather, and the girls, and just damn. :whiteflag:

So after my first year of college it's time to reflect on my first year and my future. I still really haven't invested much time into my schoolwork, so I'll take a 2.85 after two semesters. My classes just aren't that interesting, and being in the dorms I always put social activities above school. Right now I think the plan is to Major in Accounting, and Minor in Sports Studies. After getting my bachelor's take the CPA, and go to grad school, then enter the job market. I could make a pretty nice career out of that, and bank fairly well.

Here's the problem though, I don't know how interested I am in continuing on the Accounting track. I'm starting to think the business side of things appeals to me, because it revolves around money. Basically I'm becoming convinced I'm doing business because of the money and not because I'm actually interested in it.

The other day I had an epiphany of sorts. I thought about the future, and how happy I would be with becoming an accountant, or whatever I chose to do with my degree. I just became really unsure of how happy I would be with that type of occupation, besides the fact I would probably be making good money. I'm just not convinced everything I have found out about the business world is making me sure that I'm making the right career choice. I thought I'm in control of what I want to do with my life, why limit my happiness to just money when there is possibly something out there I would enjoy more?

So I have two back-up options I'll probably begin exploring in the second semester of next year if things don't look too promising with the whole accounting thing. The first is to major in sports studies, and then figure out how to carve out a career in the sports industry. The second is to become a certified English/Physical Education Teacher and get certification to also teach special education in English. With this I would minor in sport studies and hopefully coach Basketball.

If I were to major in sports studies (well known as sports management at other universities) I feel I could carve out a happy life for myself. I really don't know the job prospects with this major, but if I ended up choosing this major I would probably follow it up by going to Marquette and majoring in Sports Law. I feel that this would make me a versatile prospective employee, and give me the best chance to have a happy and successful career. However the thought of law school makes me a little upset because that is a huge workload, and I don't know if my current procrastinating ways would change in that time frame. One of the kids I'm living with next year is majoring in sports studies and he shares a similar love for football, that I do for basketball. He encouraged me to check out this major if I decided to go back on the whole business path. I should probably further check out the career options with this degree, and see how it looks.

The second choice would be to become either an english or a physical education teacher. Preferably I would like to be an english teacher, and if need be have the ability to take over the physical education reigns (as versatility is becoming a valued trait in the education field, especially with this economy) as a means of keeping a job. I enjoy seeing how people express themselves, and from my experiences there is no better way to view this than to teach english. Plus I love hearing how people view issues, and such, which is almost always expressed in writing in the school level. I would also like to become special education certified because I feel like my personality would mesh quite well in that environment (and have been told this by quite a few teachers when I told them of my possible ambitions to teach in the future).

If I go the teaching route I would also love to coach basketball. Not to sound bitter, but my basketball coaches mistreated be pretty badly in high school, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I won't go into it, that's for another time, but I feel if I were to become a coach I have enough knowledge of basketball, and enough common sense to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone.

The drawback of becoming a teacher (if you want to call it that) is that both sides of my family both have a long lineage of teaching. That's an advantage I feel, but at the same time I'm one of those people who likes to blaze their own trail. I kind of feel I want to be different from most everyone else in my family, but at the same time I know if I followed the teaching route I would do a great job, just like my parents, and countless other members of my family have done.

Decisions, Decisions. I just kind of had to get this off my chest, but I still got a few months until this becomes a pressing issue. So I guess for now I'm going to just enjoy my summer, and let the criteria in my decision fall as it may in the next few months. As for now I should probably get back on a decent sleeping schedule, and focus on getting back into shape:laugh:, along with having as much fun this summer as humanly possible.

Anyways, Floods if you ever get this, how's everything working out for you?

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Good post. I think every student (including myself) has the end of first year jitters, I dropped out and just started again (..but there was a ton of issues non-educational related)

I'm hoping things work out well for you, and you know what I think I'm going to get my arse in gear and get some basketball coaching certificates.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks PP! I appreciate the support.

You're still going to law school, correct?

Also :cheers: to future basketball coaches.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts