Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bulls need to sign Eddie and Tyson now! Cut the best deal you can and avoid the HUGE contracts the even average big men (aka...Dampier and Okur) are getting.

Building a successful NBA team today, is as much about budget planning as anything else. Everyone keeps harping about cutting salary and proposing trades for that purpose.

Jalen Rose and Jamal Crawford were traded for exactly this purpose. Their salary demands were not justified by what the Bulls leadership thought they could contribute.

Paxon needs to look to the future of the team and spend his money where it will count.

Eddie and Tyson will be the future of this team. If you wait for them to have great years, you will be bidding against every other team in the league that needs a big man. Paxon should try and get both of these guys signed now at reasonable prices. If you have to pay a luxury tax short term, then do it. Antonio Davis, Eddie Robinson and Scottie Pippen all have contracts come off the books in the next year or two, money will be freed up.

The longer you wait, the more it will cost. That is a fact of NBA life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,733 Posts
I am sure that Pax would rather pay an few extra million per year each AFTER seeing Chandler healthy for an entire year and Curry come in shape and dominating.

Not sure that I blame him.
 

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Plus, Eddy and Tyson KNOW what they are worth, and their potential future value.

They'll ask for lots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,963 Posts
As I said in the Curry-specific thread, they aren't going to be much cheaper now than they will be at the end of the season. Only if you sign them now, there's still a big question mark over their future. I know there's confidence in these kids' ability to turn things around, but there's no reason to take the risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fergus</b>!
Paxon should try and get both of these guys signed now at reasonable prices.
So what are the REASONABLE prices for Chandler and Curry now? I dont think the tag price will be as high next year. GMs did some crazy spending this summer and they will regret. If you asked their agents, likely, Curry will ask for Dampiers and Chandler will ask for Camby or Boozer like. Looking at their last season productions, Chandler and Curry are not worth those prices. But if they can prove this coming season and deliver some wins along with good statistics and endurance, they should no doubt be paid good cash.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is risk in everything! If you are going to win, you have to take chances.

Paxon is paid to evaluate talent. If he feels that Curry and Chandler are the future of the Bulls, he should make the move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,967 Posts
i would sign them right now,but there are 2 of them. commiting big dollars to TWO unprove players is not wise.i rather wait until the season ends to see whos the real keeper, if we sign them right now, most likely we will be a little under-paying one player but overpaying another one. chances are probabbly only one of them are going to have a good season. if both of them have break-out season then we would be in the playoffs. i say we wait and and see, we will probably sign one to the max and the other one to smoething like 6years 50mil dollars deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
There is no point in signing them now. It kills our new found salary cap situation. If I were Paxson, I'd say - look guys, earn it this year and we will pay you next year and for many years to come.

Bottom line is both of these guys believe they are max players (and they may prove to be). So if you are willing to give them max contracts, you are willing to max anything offered.

Let them earn it this year. Also, if you have to trade one next season, they will have finally proved their worth, good or bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Completely different topic, but u guys think we are turning into the Pacers somewhat. We have a dominant big man in the middle (Curry), two good defensive SFs with one capable of playing PF (Nocioni and Deng), an Excellent role big man (Chandler), and veteran bench. Our guards are different but good enough to compete. If the Motumbo trade went down, we would have our version of Reggie in Piakskowki (?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
As I said in the other thread (the houston trade) there is a lot of risk with these two guys no matter what we do.

One thing to consider, however, is that (especially if by some miracle - or Jerry Reinsdorf - the Pike for Mutombo trade doesn't go through) the Bulls might be in a position to think about either keeping both of these guys or letting them both walk than they would be to keep one and let the other go.

That's because, if we decide we definitely don't want one of them, we can then compare what'd we'd get by keeping the other one vs. what we'd get by renouncing him and getting under the cap. Suppose Curry gets an $11M offer we don't want to match. Then, we've got the possibility of signing Chandler for $7M or renouncing him, being under the cap, and offering $9M to another player who we like better than Chandler. Guys like Gasol, Kirilenko, Redd, Rahim, Illgauskas, Dalembert, and Randolph might be available, and we might be able to make a respectable offer to one of those guys (and have legit max money in 06) if we let go of both Eddy and Tyson.

That is, if one of them leaves, we'd have the option of shopping around for a guy that looks better than guy who doesn't leave.

On the other hand, if we decide that one of these guys absolutely needs to be kept, we probably keep the other guy too, even if we just force him to take the QO. We do that because, once we sign one of the them, we're definitely over the cap and can't replace him with a very comparable player.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
Whether he signs them now or signs them next season, they're both gonna ask for a healthy chunk of change. So why sign them now for a hefty chunk of change, and take the whole concept of earning your dough out of the equation, when instead he can see how much they value themselves in this coming year's play, THEN dishing out the cheese? :whoknows:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!Then, we've got the possibility of signing Chandler for $7M or renouncing him, being under the cap, and offering $9M to another player who we like better than Chandler. Guys like Gasol, Kirilenko, Redd, Rahim, Illgauskas, Dalembert, and Randolph might be available
Problem here is that Gasol, AK47, Dalembert and Randolph will all be RFAs if they are availlable. So we would have to cut Chandler to take a chance to get one of those guys.

:sour:

Illgauskas or SAR (without either Chandler or Curry)

:sour:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LoaKhoet</b>!
Completely different topic, but u guys think we are turning into the Pacers somewhat. We have a dominant big man in the middle (Curry), two good defensive SFs with one capable of playing PF (Nocioni and Deng), an Excellent role big man (Chandler), and veteran bench. Our guards are different but good enough to compete. If the Motumbo trade went down, we would have our version of Reggie in Piakskowki (?).
Let's wait until the Bulls win more than 30 games before we make that comparison. The Pacers as they're currently constructed, never missed the playoffs not once, even when they were as young as the Bulls are now.

Eddy Curry is no Jermaine O'Neal, Nocioni and Deng are no Ron Artest, Eric Piatkowski is no Reggie Miller. Maybe the Bulls are a starving man's Pacers, but a starving man's Pacers are a lottery team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!


Problem here is that Gasol, AK47, Dalembert and Randolph will all be RFAs if they are availlable. So we would have to cut Chandler to take a chance to get one of those guys.
A year is a long way away. It's hard to say how injuries and good/bad play will affect things (that's the whole point). Look at our history the last three years... Jamal's ACL, then Fizer's ACL, then Jay Will's accident, then Tyson's back... it's quite possible something will happen. This time last year we didn't expect to be leaving Fizer unprotected in the expansion draft, did we?

WRT those guys being RFAs, that's true, but it also doesn't mean a team will match any offer, and we wouldn't necessarily have to renounce the rights to Chandler until we reach such a deal (or alternatively, he could be included in a sign and trade).

Example... if Philly is unwilling (they've got a lot of guaranteed salary) to pay Dalembert $8M, but they'll take Chandler (coming off another iffy season) at $5M, then some sort of deal may be worked out.

Given the high levels of uncertainty we're facing regarding these two guys, I don't see why we should limit our options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Example... if Philly is unwilling (they've got a lot of guaranteed salary) to pay Dalembert $8M, but they'll take Chandler (coming off another iffy season) at $5M, then some sort of deal may be worked out.

Given the high levels of uncertainty we're facing regarding these two guys, I don't see why we should limit our options.
I get your point, but it's still not likely we will be able to easily chose to take on one of the other RFAs instead of Curry or Chandler.

The problem is that most S&Ts don't involve 1 RFA, let alone 2.

Most RFA signings are the sit 2 weeks and see what happens (Elton Brand, Lamar Odom, QRich, Trenton Hassel :) )

Unfortuntely, the most likely scenerio is that we would have to release Curry or Chandler and then wait 2 weeks to see if we get our main target.

Too risky for me.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!


I get your point, but it's still not likely we will be able to easily chose to take on one of the other RFAs instead of Curry or Chandler.

The problem is that most S&Ts don't involve 1 RFA, let alone 2.

Most RFA signings are the sit 2 weeks and see what happens (Elton Brand, Lamar Odom, QRich, Trenton Hassel :) )

Unfortuntely, the most likely scenerio is that we would have to release Curry or Chandler and then wait 2 weeks to see if we get our main target.

Too risky for me.....
Maybe, but consider the worst case scenario if we did this. We renounce Chandler and then have $9M in cap room to offer anyone, and Chandler becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Taking a stab at a restricted guy means we have to wait two weeks, but it's also very possible Chandler (and other good FAs) are still there in two weeks if the original team matches our offer.

Especially if we wait until a couple weeks into the FA period to make such a move, we'd still likely be able to offer Chandler more than anyone else as a "fall back" (since by that point, most other teams that were significantly under the cap will have used their money).

Obviously, if both of our kids wow us this year, we've got an easy decision to make, but I'd wage it's more likely than not that we don't have that. I'd say it's 50/50 whether either of them does what we hope.

That gives us maybe a 25% chance they both fail, a 25% chance they both succeed, and a 50% chance we get one of each.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!

That gives us maybe a 25% chance they both fail, a 25% chance they both succeed, and a 50% chance we get one of each.
You are entitled to your own opinion, of course. We all would assign different % values to each category.

My main issue is that most of the best FAs you targeted will be unobtainable for us next summer due to their RFA status
 

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
Joined
·
6,181 Posts
If we can get Tyson for 7 years starting at $6.5-7mil or Curry for 7 starting at $8mil, I say we do it.

If they want anything more than that, then I'd make them play out the season.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My original point was that you have to look to the future. A lot of other teams are not doing that and end up paying the price. Even those teams that gut themselves to end up in a good salary cap situation, usually end up with highly questionable results.

If Curry and Chandler have even reasonable years, their salary expectations could go through the roof. Guys like Foyle and Okur do not have near the upside our guys do. Yet look at the deals they ended up with. The Bulls could end up getting screwed if they wait.

The real concern is what happens if you commit a lot of money to a guy who ends up being a bust? That concern seems to be the foundation of several of the other responces.

In my opinion, you have got to go with your General Manager. He is paid the big bucks to evaluate the talent. If Paxon (and Skiles) think that Chandler and Curry are the real deal, sign them now. Your longterm salary cap situation will be a lot more favorable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,967 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rhyder</b>!
If we can get Tyson for 7 years starting at $6.5-7mil or Curry for 7 starting at $8mil, I say we do it.

If they want anything more than that, then I'd make them play out the season.
try at least 8-9 to start with for chandler and max or 99.9% near max for curry.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top