Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed something early in the Golden State game about our rebounding woes. Foyle was much to strong for Chandler to keep him off the boards (which many of us were worried about in the offseason post Curry)--I know he did not grab that many rebounds himself, but he had his hands in there knocking away a lot of loose balls. Murphy's ability to stretch the floor was to much for the relatively unathletic Songaila and Sweetney to run back and contest for the rebound. I think this was the reason Sweetney was on the bench most of the first three quarters, being the least fleet of foot of our PFs.

Skiles noticed this too, as he brought Othella and Sweetney in quick succession (sometime in the first half), trying to find someone to match up with Murphy or take rebounding away from Foyle. When we were down in the third quarter shooting mostly from the perimeter, with Hinrich being the only player on the Bulls having a good game, it dawned on me. Bring Sweets in and put him on Foyle and have Chandler cover Murphy. Needless to say, Skiles found this exact combination about three or four minutes into the fourth quarter. Surprisingly, this was extremely effective. Foyle couldn't outmuscle Sweets, and Murphy never got another open look while still giving Tyson some room to roam on help defense.

Much like when Hinrich and Gordon play together and Hinrich takes the more offensive minded guard, when Chandler and Sweetney are in the game Chandler can defend the more athletic big with Sweetney defending less offensive minded banger. i.e. Sweetney could be a 6'8" center, if you want to label him with the traditional definition of the position. You obviously wouldn't put him on tall offensive minded centers in the Shaq, Yao, Curry mold, but he should definately be guarding the Magloire, Foyle, PJ Brown, dirty work low block centers.

I can see it now if Sweets cracks the starting lineup...

"And now, the man (with) the middle. From Georgetown. 6'8". Michael Sweetney"

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Haha, good post. And good observations.

Seriously, there are so many offensively inept centers in the NBA, that most of the time it doesn't matter if Sweetney is our "center". Adonal Foyle is not a threat, so it makes perfect sense to have Sweetney bodying him up. This also keeps Sweetney out of foul trouble. Chandler is a good player to throw at the scoring big man types, since his length and quickness can really hurt them.

Our big man situation is not without faults, that's for sure, but for the time being I'm content. And we'll have plenty of chances to fill in the holes in the next 12 months, whether it's trade, draft picks, or free agency.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
That's exactly what I saw too. Good post.

One minor criticism is that my guess is that Foyle is only 6'9" himself and he's got absolutely zero offensive game. Guys like Magloire and PJ Brown shouldn't be compared to him, because if you really look at those guys, they can abuse lesser players on offense. Foyle isn't in their class.

Thus, I still think we've got a problem playing Sweets at center, because even middle of the road but taller/faster guys will shoot over him. But if Sweets can drop 20 lbs and maintain his strength, I think he might be able to get in these guys' faces a little more than he does now.

And anyway, we still have to look at net productivity. As long as those guys don't totally burn him, if he's scoring more than they are we're winning.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikedc said:

One minor criticism is that my guess is that Foyle is only 6'9" himself and he's got absolutely zero offensive game. Guys like Magloire and PJ Brown shouldn't be compared to him, because if you really look at those guys, they can abuse lesser players on offense. Foyle isn't in their class.

Thus, I still think we've got a problem playing Sweets at center, because even middle of the road but taller/faster guys will shoot over him. But if Sweets can drop 20 lbs and maintain his strength, I think he might be able to get in these guys' faces a little more than he does now.

And anyway, we still have to look at net productivity. As long as those guys don't totally burn him, if he's scoring more than they are we're winning.
PJ probably wasn't a good comparison because I would have Sweetney on West and Chandler on Brown. Against Milwaukee, I think Chandler on Bogut and Sweetney on Magloire would see more benefit, althought it could be a tossup.

My sentiment was more that the trend should be Chandler on the more athletic big, and Sweetney on the stronger one, no matter the height, unless facing the abnormal scoring Center (Shaq, Yao, etc...) much like we do when playing Kirk and Ben in the backcourt.

I've always been of the mold to define your position based on who you guard, not how you play offensively outside of the PG (primary ball handler).

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Rhyder said:
Curry...I know he did not grab that many rebounds himself, but he had his hands in there knocking away a lot of loose balls.
Just ask Brendan Haywood about that...

OUCH!

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Mikedc said:

I don't worry about Sweetney being shot over by taller players. It's fine as long as they're just a little further away from the basket than they prefer, and Sweetney has the bulk to make that happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts