Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So which 12 do you think will make the playoff roster?

My idea:

5:Dampier/Henderson/Bradley
4:Nowitzki/Van Horn
3:Howard/Stackhouse
2:Finley/Daniels
1:Terry/Harris/Armstrong
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/erick_dampier
I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing, but we don't have really tough choices when it gets down to the last 1-2 spots.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unless there is a significant injury to Erick, Shawn or Alan, I think you're seeing the playoff roster right now. Pavel and DJ are just to raw right now to contribute.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Erick Dampier/Shawn Bradley
Dirk Nowitzki/Alan Henderson
Josh Howard/Jerry Stackhouse/Keith Van Horn
Michael Finley/Marquis Daniels
Jason Terry/Devin Harris/Darrell Armstrong

·
Registered
108 Posts
NastyN44 said:
Well AJ wants to only use 9 players in the playoffs unless were winning by alot like tonight against the spurs so the real question for our situation is witch nine players will make the playoff rotation!?

One question? Why nine?
Considering all the injuries, how lame Shawn can play and we aren't limited to 9, why would Coach J do this?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Darrell Armstrong will play zero minutes.

Marquis will not play much. Unless there is foul trouble or an injury I don't expect Quis to play more than 6-8 minutes.

Bradley will not get many minutes but Avery will probably use him in spots.

Henderson will not play alot either but he will be used in spots like Bradley.

I expect most of the minutes to come from:

Terry
Finley
Nowitzki
Howard
Dampier
Stackhouse
Van Horn
Harris

I do think that Bradley, Hendu and Marquis will some time but only in specific situations. Hopefully Armstrong never gets off the bench unless we are blowing someone out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
NastyN44 said:
We still will have a 12 player rotation but only 9 of the 12 will get significant minutes.

Yeah, I understand that we will have 12 available. It seems during playoff time coaches play a very lean roster.

Here is mine:
Terry/Devin
Finley/JHo/Stack
Dirk/KVH/Hendu
Damp/Bradley

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marquis will not play much. Unless there is foul trouble or an injury I don't expect Quis to play more than 6-8 minutes.
Even considering his playoff effort last year? I think 6-8 minutes is a bit on the low side.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Daniels' time hasn't come

Mavericks' guard tries to persevere through dwindling minutes

On a night that featured almost as many flying elbows as dunks, in a game where the Mavericks reminded San Antonio how much it misses Tim Duncan, it was a subtle moment that illustrated the struggles of Marquis Daniels.

As the lead mushroomed to 30 points in the third quarter and the sellout crowd serenaded the Mavericks with yet another ovation, Daniels sat next to coach Avery Johnson on the bench, listening to a 30-second explanation on why he had just been pulled.

"These are trying times," Daniels said. "I've got to learn and go with it, adjust.

"But as long as we're winning, that's all that matters. Of course you want to play, but you always take the win."

The Mavericks are winning a lot these days. But as this team charges toward the playoffs, Daniels is being left behind.

It was bound to happen to someone. Injuries allowed the Mavericks to avoid this dilemma until now. But with four healthy players demanding minutes at two spots, something has to give.

Who sits? Josh Howard is the team's best defensive player and has proven to be the ideal complement to Dirk Nowitzki on the front line. He doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective on offense.

Michael Finley is the team's second-leading scorer and has made more 3-pointers than any other player on the roster. Jerry Stackhouse is the sixth man and plays with an edge that Johnson loves. He can also break down the defense and create his own shot, something we will see more of in the playoffs.

Daniels earned his six-year, $36.7 million contract because he's a smooth offensive player. But Johnson isn't looking for smooth offense as much as he is in-your-face defense.

"It's just difficult right now because we don't have 36 minutes for him," Johnson said. "Last year, I think there was a stretch where he played quite a bit. He shot the ball 25 to 30 times. We don't have that right now.

"Right now, I've got four guys, and I don't have 48 minutes for all of those guys. He has to be more efficient when he gets out there on the court."

That hasn't happened. The assist Daniels had in Thursday's 104-68 win was his first in 12 days. He did score 13 points (more than double what he had in the previous five games combined), but most came in garbage time.

Johnson doesn't need Daniels to score. He has Stackhouse and Keith Van Horn off the bench for that. He's looking for Daniels to penetrate and play defense.

"The way guys earn minutes here is not by trying to go out and prove to the coach they can have a great offensive night," Johnson said. "It's been a harder adjustment for some guys more than others."

It's been hardest of all for Daniels. He had a handful of glaring defensive mistakes Thursday. The player who flourished in the second half of last season because Don Nelson put the ball in his hands now finds himself spotting up on the wing while Jason Terry and rookie Devin Harris run the offense.

"It's very different," Daniels said. "I'm not on the ball as much as I was last year.

"But Coach Johnson is doing a great job of getting guys in spots where they can score the ball."

Johnson has sat down with Daniels twice since he's taken over to discuss his diminished role. He calls Daniels a good kid who has responded to what he's asked, but added it's too late in the season to worry about Daniels' confidence or that of any player.

Johnson wants to set his playoff rotation as early as Monday. Daniels remains a big part of the Mavericks' future. But it appears he will be a bit player in this playoff run.

"I'm just staying focused and ready for whenever my number is called," Daniels said.
He will be sitting out the majority of the playoffs, which is a hard decision for AJ, but I just hope he remembers what he done last year, he can really create when it seems hopeless against the opposition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts