Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's face it, as much as we have heard that MJ will come off the bench this year, we all know that that would be just plain bad for His Airness himself, Collins, the fans, and the Wizards organization. We all know that even if Jordan comes off the bench, he'll end up playing like 30 mpg anyway. He might as well be starting.

So, the only problem is that is, MJ wants to play at the 2-spot. Believe it or not, that can be achieved without any trades or transactions. The Wizards are planning on having Hughes start at point guard this year, but I don't think that's in stone at all. The guy hasn't provenmuch at the point, why not have him come off the bench at the 2-spot where he has been proven to be effective.

Our starters should be Jordan, Rip, Jeffries, Kwame/L8, and Haywood. So, where's the piont guard, you ask? It's simple there is NO point guard. Even if hughes were to start at point guard, it's not like he would be running hte offense all the time. The Wizards would probably still run the triangle. In that sense, the Wizards might as well let Hughes sit for Jordan and run the triangle with the best basketball player ever starting. This way, Jordan, Rip, and Jeffries would share ball-handling duties.

In terms of defense, Jeffries would guard small forwards and Rip would guard the point guards. I know Richard Hamilton isn't going to be ont he defensive first team anytime soon, but he can guard quick pg's just as well as he can guard sg's. If a really quick scoring point guard comes up like Van Exel, Davis, Francis, or Marbury, then the Wizards can try their luck with sticking Hughes or Lue on him for a while. So, in conclusion, this leaves Jordan with a bit of flexibility on defense. If he wants, he can stick with my suggestion and guard 2-guards as a starter. Or, if there is a lackluster small forward that Jordan could easily take care of, then he can start at the 3 insteadof Jeffries, and Hughes would run the point.

This all sounds complicated but I think you guys get the point. In essence, all I'm saying is that Rip, Jordan, and Jeffries start and run the triangle. Jordan won't have to bang witht he bigger forwards and he'll still be able to start, which is in everyine's best interest. If this fails miserably, the Wizards can always start one of their true points in Lue and Whitney, or perhaps even Dixon. I have no problem with Jordan being benched for about half the games. But, I think my idea works quite well. The bulls won 2 or 3 championships with Ron Harper starting, who was by no means a point guard.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The other advantage in bringing MJ off the bench is that he'll sometimes get to play against other teams' reserves. It also gives Doug great flexibility. Jordan can sub at three spots depending on what the team needs or how guys are playing. Off the bench, he becomes a big-time safety net.

Bringing him off the bench also could help Collins limit MJ's playing time. He nees to resist the temptation to put him in the game earlier than planned, which is different psychologically than trying to decide whether to pull him as planned even when the team is going very well.

I understand your reasoning, but there are good reasons in favor of bringing MJ off the bench.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kev, phycologically, I think Collins knows what he is doing. There is no way he will let Jordan play more than 30 or so mpg even if he starts. The Wizards team is great for Jordan because, as you said, he can play three positions. Jordan has also slimmed down lately from what I've seen, and might be more suited to guard 2-guards anyway. I see where you're coming from Kev, but I doub that an opposing coach would let Jordan take advantage of his subs for too long anyway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good points, but I'd still bring MJ off the bench because it immediately starts a chess match with the other coach. Does he stick with his normal rotation and let MJ victimize his reserves? Or does he adjust his rotation to keep a starter on the floor longer to deal with MJ?

Either way, the Wizards could get a small advantage. And given the team's youth, they're going to need every advantage they can get.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you have a point Kev. Oh, by the way, is there anyway I could perhaps write a column about this on realgm or perhaps help you write one. I don't know how qualified I'd have to be but I think my writing is quite good....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts