Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming JC is a Bull tomorrow afternoon, the most brillant thing for Pax to leak about Crawford is that he will not pay more than MLE for Craw. And leak stupid trade rumor (Big Dog) after stupid trade rumor (Barry and Radman).

Then watch Craw sign the first Jason Terry contract (3 years - $24M) AND the Bulls match.

The stupidist thing for Paxson to say what the Clippers did last year. Which was "We plan to match all reasonable offers".

May Pax is clever afterall.....

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I certainly hope thats what's going on . . . is Pax that clever?

·
Registered
593 Posts
You know I've been thinking the same thing.

The logic you outline is solid. This could potentially drive down the perceived dollar amount needed to pry JC away from us, which can only be a good thing.

Something I'd like to know about the bidding process for RFA.
You can only make one offer right? If a team perceives us as only wanting to pay the MLE then they're likely to give something a bit above that - just to price us out of it. Of course there's always the risk that another team will come in and out bit the original offer. If that happens can the first team make another bid? Is this an auction type deal?

If not then it makes strategic sense to try to get people to start the bids low.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>settinUpShop</b>!
You know I've been thinking the same thing.

The logic you outline is solid. This could potentially drive down the perceived dollar amount needed to pry JC away from us, which can only be a good thing.

Something I'd like to know about the bidding process for RFA.
You can only make one offer right? If a team perceives us as only wanting to pay the MLE then they're likely to give something a bit above that - just to price us out of it. Of course there's always the risk that another team will come in and out bit the original offer. If that happens can the first team make another bid? Is this an auction type deal?

If not then it makes strategic sense to try to get people to start the bids low.
Jamal only gets to sign one contract from another team. His agent will be fishing around for deals and trying to convince the other teams that the Bulls won't match.

As you may recall, the Clips had 4 players whom were RFA and they signed with other teams at different points throughout the whole summer.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yeah but you risk alienating your player , who if he doesn't get a suitable deal , signs his qualifying offer and then is outta there next year like **** through a goose

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by <b>F.Jerzy</b>!
Yeah but you risk alienating your player , who if he doesn't get a suitable deal , signs his qualifying offer and then is outta there next year like shyt through a goose
It's a risk, but this has only happened once and the player, Kandi, lost about $35M by going this route.

Crawford has changed agents 3 times this year. So any agent that Craw picks will want JC's name signed to as long a contract as possible to get their percentage now.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!

It's a risk, but this has only happened once and the player, Kandi, lost about $35M by going this route.

Crawford has changed agents 3 times this year. So any agent that Craw picks will want JC's name signed to as long a contract as possible to get their percentage now.
True

And anyway who cares about Kandi the bow wow

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
I don't know if Jamal would lose money like Kandi did though. I think Kandi actually took a paycut to go to the Wolves. He had a better offer on the table from Miami, I think.
How is that possible? Miami has Jones and Grant, a slew of other players. They are surely over the cap. All they could offer was MLE money. He signed for MLE money with the Wolves.

I think if he got a similar contract he would had signed. The Magic were waiting to see if they could get money from Hill and him being out. They were going to use that to sign him, so I assume he liked Florida. And would had signed there over the Wolves if the money was on the table.

-Petey

·
Registered
484 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
How is that possible? Miami has Jones and Grant, a slew of other players. They are surely over the cap. All they could offer was MLE money. He signed for MLE money with the Wolves.
I don't know, but they made elton sign an offer sheet and eventually signed lamar, so I'd think they had some money to spend last summer

which doesn't mean kandi got a similar offer from the heat. I can't recall reading anything like that

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Assuming JC is a Bull tomorrow afternoon, the most brillant thing for Pax to leak about Crawford is that he will not pay more than MLE for Craw. And leak stupid trade rumor (Big Dog) after stupid trade rumor (Barry and Radman).

Then watch Craw sign the first Jason Terry contract (3 years - $24M) AND the Bulls match.

The stupidist thing for Paxson to say what the Clippers did last year. Which was "We plan to match all reasonable offers".

The thing is Crawford has to SIGN an offer sheet before the Bulls can match it and reagrdless of what MLE comments Paxson makes, Crawford will be looking to sign the best offer sheet he gets and that could very well be in the 3 year 24 mil range.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Johnson I agree with you logic. Pax is trying the "Limbo-Rock Strategy". Absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain, if he gets lucky.
I cannot see Jamal even considering rolling the dice and accepting the qual offer. He wants his money and security like anyone else, this could be his peak contract agreement, he will not take the risk.

prediction: 5 years, 39 M, BULLS MATCH

·
Registered
431 Posts

Well you're my favorite poster but you seem to imply that a Terry contract is a good value like other posters have done. It's shorter than usual for a rookie extension but the annual rate is at the high end of what the board has considered for JC. $8 mil./year for JC is value?

If I'm reading more into this than is actually there please accept my apology.

FWIW: I'll be surprised if JC is traded. I doubt Paxson would've risked playing him if that was in the works.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: The most brillant thing for Pax to leak...

Originally posted by <b>Lusty RaRue</b>!

Well you're my favorite poster but you seem to imply that a Terry contract is a good value like other posters have done. It's shorter than usual for a rookie extension but the annual rate is at the high end of what the board has considered for JC. $8 mil./year for JC is value?
Well, here is the thought process....

JC has value around the league even if it is not as much as his supporters think.

JC is sure to get a MLE contract from a team like the Knicks. What's the difference between a $97M or a $102M payroll.

Pax would have traded JC if he was sure he didn't want to potentially sign JC at the end of the year.

So we are at least in for the MLE.

JC thinks he is worth more than the MLE and just might gamble on an extra million or two a year on a shorter deal.

Pax really has no choice but to match b/c with or without JC, Pax only has his 1st round draft pick and the MLE to really work with this summer.

Clear as mud, right?

p.s. It's my personally preference to sign\extend any of our young guys to a short term deal a little above MLE than give them a 6 year MLE deal. Those long term deals can just be very, very painful to move. See eRob.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

I don't understand your logic. How does what Paxson says or leaks to the press impact the value of JC? Plus that's a really good way to alienate and piss off your players. Conversely, if he publicly states that he'll match all reasonable offers, he will have shown that he's truly committed to keeping his star player. Meanwhile, he'll ween out the causually interested parties.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: The most brillant thing for Pax to leak...

Originally posted by <b>MichaelOFAZ</b>!

I don't understand your logic. How does what Paxson says or leaks to the press impact the value of JC? Plus that's a really good way to alienate and piss off your players. Conversely, if he publicly states that he'll match all reasonable offers, he will have shown that he's truly committed to keeping his star player. Meanwhile, he'll ween out the causually interested parties.
What Pax says won't affect how other teams feel about drastically. But what Paxson says will effect how they structure their offer for JC as a RFA.

Clips said they would match all reasonable offers. So Heat threw down a mac-daddy contract down for Odom.

If Heat didn't feel that LA clippers were that interested, that contract very well might have been for fewer years, or less loaded with upfront money or for less dollars overall.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The most brillant thing for Pax to leak...

What Pax says won't affect how other teams feel about drastically. But what Paxson says will effect how they structure their offer for JC as a RFA.

Clips said they would match all reasonable offers. So Heat threw down a mac-daddy contract down for Odom.

If Heat didn't feel that LA clippers were that interested, that contract very well might have been for fewer years, or less loaded with upfront money or for less dollars overall.
I respect your opinion, but respectfully disagree. The LA Clippers announced that they would match all reasonable offers for Maggette, Odom, Candi, and Brand. IMO, they kept the 2 best of those four. I will admit that Odom is having an exceptional year for the Heat, but he's one bong hit from being suspended and there was no way anyone could have predicted this kind of turnaround.

The Clippers forced the teams around the league to put up serious offers or to shut up. In doing so, they were able to assess their options and sign the players they truly wanted and needed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The most brillant thing for Pax to leak...

p.s. It's my personally preference to sign\extend any of our young guys to a short term deal a little above MLE than give them a 6 year MLE deal. Those long term deals can just be very, very painful to move. See eRob.
Excuse me for being a off topic. I may be in the minority here, but I think eRob is finally starting to earn his paycheck. This year, he has been one of the most consistent players on a team who's major weakness is consistency. And he makes and effort to defend. IMHO, his deal doesn't seem nearly as horrendous as it once did. OK, he's still an overpaid bonehead and the Bulls haven't really improved since he came here, but I wouldn't want him to leave at this point.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: The most brillant thing for Pax to leak...

Originally posted by <b>Squirrel</b>!

Excuse me for being a off topic. I may be in the minority here, but I think eRob is finally starting to earn his paycheck. This year, he has been one of the most consistent players on a team who's major weakness is consistency. And he makes and effort to defend. IMHO, his deal doesn't seem nearly as horrendous as it once did. OK, he's still an overpaid bonehead and the Bulls haven't really improved since he came here, but I wouldn't want him to leave at this point.
When ERob is one of our most consistent players, that's when you know things are bad.

By not trading Crawford, Paxson has given the intention he will match offers for Crawford. This has been his position all along, so nothing has changed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts