Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would say shaq's 99-00 season was the most dominant ever by a player, not necessary statiscally, but just the overall pure domination. he was more unstoppable in that season than any other players in the history.

·
Registered
99 Posts
no matter what anyone says there will never anyone like wilt. he was way ahead of his time and if he played now hed still be way ahead of his time. His dominance will never be surpassed.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Originally posted by <b>roastedtoaster</b>!
excluding wilt.

i think dream 03-04 has to be up there. Defensive Player of the Year, MVP, MVP of the Finals.
ahem, 93-94 ?? :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
oscar robertson...nobody will ever average a triple double for an entire season again.

30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds, and 11.4 assists in his second season (1961-62)

that's just unheard of. and for a guy his size...he's only 6'5 and he was able to do this. these stats are just ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kaniffmn</b>!
oscar robertson...nobody will ever average a triple double for an entire season again.

30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds, and 11.4 assists in his second season (1961-62)

that's just unheard of. and for a guy his size...he's only 6'5 and he was able to do this. these stats are just ridiculous.
Yeah it's not a 12/10/10 triple dub, either he's comfortably over in Rebs and Ast. A game with stats like that is rare anough these days.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kaniffmn</b>!
thats actually kind of big, because Oscar almost always brought up the ball and started the offense, so he was technically a PG, and even as a 2, there were guys playing the 2 at that time that were like 6'2, probably even shorter, and another thing, Oscar was 205lbs, and being built wasnt as prominent in the days before real training was introduced

none of this is meant to take away from the big O, im actually a big fan

I know this is the NBA forum but Pistol Pete's senior collegiate year was pretty good...

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>havoc</b>!
no comparison for dominance:
Wilt 61-62 - 50ppg 25rpg never to be equaled
Who else?

In fact, that was the best year in FT% in his career... .612!!!!
I just wonder if they recorded blocks back then... Would we be talking a 7/8bpg kinda season?

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
Shaq and Wilt put up dominant seasons, but Jordan was more dominant overall, ie both offensive and defensive end.

He could reel off 15 points straight in the 4th to get the win, all while shutting down his man and making huge team defensive plays.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Shaq's was a good choice. I don't like the guy, but pretty much the entire league had no answer to him and he dictated a lot. His team didn't rampage through the playoffs (give Portland credit as a team), but he got MVP, the scoring title, 2nd in RPG, Finals MVP, etc.

dominant
1 : commanding, controlling, or prevailing over all others
2 : overlooking and commanding from a superior position

Jordan could easily qualify, even with more cuts, turnaround J's, and passes than brute force and size.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
1999-2000 Shaq was amazing. Certainly the most dominant season I've seen from a center since Dream, and I still say 2000 Shaq was clearly more dominant than 94 Dream simply because he gave so much effort on defense and rebounding that season.

Of course, you've got to mention 91-92 or 92-93 Jordan. However, his defense wasn't as dominant as 94 Dream or 2000 Shaq, by a good margin, IMO.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wilt owns this with NO one being close.

Cmon.....50 and 25.

I don't see how anyone could see someone else as being more dominating.

PS. Didn't he also lead the league in assists that year with like 7 a game?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Jordan '87-'88

35.0 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.9 apg, 3.1 spg, 1.6 bpg, on 54% shooting from the field. Was also Defensive Player of the Year that year. I'll take Jordan. Below are his accomplishments that year.

87-88 Slam Dunk Champion
87-88 All-Star game MVP
87-88 NBA Scoring Champion. Averaging 35.0ppg.
87-88 Regular season MVP
87-88 All NBA First Team
87-88 All Defensive First Team
87-88 Defensive Player of the Year

Jordan of '88-'89 is a very close second. His numbers were 32.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 8.0 apg, 2.9 spg. C'mon guys 32 points AND 8 ASSISTS!!!!! AVERAGE!!!Thats crazy!!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigWill33176</b>!

PS. Didn't he also lead the league in assists that year with like 7 a game?
No, he led the league in the latter days of his career when he was much more passive because he had heard critics saying he was a hog etc.. But I agree regardless it is the most dominant season ever.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts