Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Nets are loading up for another Eastern Run.
- They picked up Deke
- They are now on the verge of signing Rogers (un-confirmed)

If Rogers is signed...
Will he be the final piece of the puzzle?

We know they have improved....
But some say, they still have ways to go??
And some say they locked up the East??
Your opinons??

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
They may run away this year...but I would say Chicago/New Orleans/Detroit can be challengers in a few years...

·
Registered
973 Posts
How can u rip the Wizards in a few years.

We've got Kwame Brown, Brendan Haywood, Etan Thomas, Juan Dixon, Rip Hamilton, Larry Hughes, Rod Grizzard, Navarro next year, and the big jahidi white.

If we can retian dat core and then thye develop, we'll be there by 2006!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wrong, wrong and wrong! Grant Hill if he gets healthy will be the biggest signings so just hold your horses and wait to see if Hill can atleast be 80% of the player he used to be for the Detroit Pistons. Hill was never 100% fit when he played last season and for those few games he was arguably better then McGrady. I'm only concerned if Hill is there that T-Mac doesn't take a seat back and let him take over, McGrady should know that he is our franchise even if Hill becomes the same player which I doubt he can be more then 80-85% of the player he used to be.

Magic have the best new signing but that's only if he stays healthy so we'll see.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I look forward to the Pacers to make much noise in the East, I know they're looking for a rematch against the Nets, The Nets have improved, but The Pacers are deep and improving

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Pacers improved simply with experience, they were the youngest team int he NBA last year and now some of their players finally got some big game experience it will pay off. Pacers 2002-2003 Eastern Conference Champions. Thank you.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shroombal</b>!
How can u rip the Wizards in a few years.

We've got Kwame Brown, Brendan Haywood, Etan Thomas, Juan Dixon, Rip Hamilton, Larry Hughes, Rod Grizzard, Navarro next year, and the big jahidi white.

If we can retian dat core and then thye develop, we'll be there by 2006!!!
Out of all the guys you listed, none have star potential except Kwame Brown and Rip Hamilton. Now, will Brown reach that potential? Will the Wiz be able to retain Rip without giving him the Max? The rest of the guys are role players. You also left out Jared Jeffries who also COULD be a star. However, there are other teams in the East that should be above them in a few years.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Well...

Indiana has the talent, New Jersey has the potential, New Orleans has the chemistry. These three teams will vie for the east this year IMO. I'm still sticking with the season ending with:

1 New Orleans
2 New Jersey
3 Indiana
4 ....

I am not saying the Hornets will be in the finals because the health of all the superstars on these teams will determine playoff results. I think these will be the standings at the end of the season in the east.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
i guess you guys know my answer, right? :D

as long as fate is by their side, i think that the nets have a shot at the title again this coming season.

they have chemistry, determination, optimism, and potential.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
It will all come down to health this year in the East.

If Grant Hill stays healthy, watchout for Orlando.
If Theo Ratliff stays healthy, watchout for Atlanta.
If Jamal Mashburn stays healthy, watchout for New Orleans.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
To Heck with the EAST they already have that on lock down , they're going for the Title, Next year they may win a couple of games in the finals give the Lakers a little scare, or Kings for goodness sake if I don't say that it'll take us off in another tangent,

Back to the Wizards they gonna be in the serious mix in a few years I don't see anyone but Chicago in about 3-4 years with as much young talent ready to explode on the scene,my bad count the Pacers in that Bunch who have young players who may flourish at that time.

1.nets - on lock
2.hornets healthy mash will Mash
3. Raptors-vc will come back with vengence
4.Celtics-will be steady,will miss andersonand rogers
5. Pistons-Billups helps
6. Magic-GHill will make them dangerous
7. Wizards-Mike's last hoorah,team noone wants to play
8. Pacers-limping in, D is TUFF, O will struggle, Isiahwill have trouble handling all the young talent 's playing time.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Washington over Atlanta? :upset:

JT vs. Whitney - JT
DJ vs. Rip - Rip
Big Dog vs. Jeffries - Big Dog
SAR vs. Brown - SAR
Theo vs. Haywood - Theo

Washington does have a deeper bench, but no way they win more games than Atlanta assuming both teams stay healthy. Even if MJ plays 6th man for 82 games, he can't do it all with 20 MPG playing time.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Nets did improve but they didnt do all that great this offseason i dont think they will get the # 1 sed this year:

1.Magic(If hill is healty they will walk all over the east)
2.Celtic(Vin Baker should help out a lil bit)
3.New Orleans(With Mash heatly they will doin awesome)
4.Nets(I dont think Tumbo will help them that much)
5.Piston(Billups should help out alot)
6.Pacers(Have a great young and allround team)
7.Raptors(just cause VC back dont mean they will be anything specail they do better with out VC)
8.Wizard(Can make a run this year)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by <b>SUandLAC#1</b>!
Nets did improve but they didnt do all that great this offseason i dont think they will get the # 1 sed this year:

1.Magic(If hill is healty they will walk all over the east)
2.Celtic(Vin Baker should help out a lil bit)
3.New Orleans(With Mash heatly they will doin awesome)
4.Nets(I dont think Tumbo will help them that much)
5.Piston(Billups should help out alot)
6.Pacers(Have a great young and allround team)
7.Raptors(just cause VC back dont mean they will be anything specail they do better with out VC)
8.Wizard(Can make a run this year)

You'd select the Wiz over the Sixers at the 8th Spot?
The Sixers might of lost Deke in the middle...
but they add more scoring with KVH

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
The Nets did well!

They have a true pg defensive minded backup to Jason - in Childs.

They got a shot blocker & rebounder in the paint with - Dikembe.

They just got a 3 point shooter, past 6th man of the year, ex teammate of Jason's from Phoenix (and a teammate of Dikembe's from Denver) - with RR.

They got rid of a guy who had NO defense and could shoot 3s - sometimes. RR can do that and do it better than KVH.

The Nets are set.

·
Registered
162 Posts
KVHs scoring wont mean anything in philly unless he starts shooting up near 50%

and i think the nets just jumped past the celtics for first in the east next year with rogers on board, he isnt a slouch on defense, he is probably new jerseys best 3 point shooter, and in the east he can play C and PF i wouldnt be surprisedto see the nets rollin out a lineup of kidd jefferson martin rogers and mutombo come playoff time, maybe not starting rogers, but he would definitely see mucho minutos. is rod thorn executive of the year again, he signed childs who will really help and allow kid to go out of the game and not have someone like anthoyn johnson come in. he got mutombo but most importantly lost van horns huge contract and it also allows jefferson to start, and now they sign rogers who can play pf c or maybe even sf and can hit the three and isnt a bad team defender. so yeah i now place the nets number 1 in the east next year unless the celtics can sign a good point

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just don't know how you can make rankings in the East. I mean, it's so difficult to predict how is it going to end.

I have just four locks for the playoffs:
- Hornets: Great team. If they are healthy, my nº1 candidate for the NBA finals
- Nets: I don't like Mutombo, and their offensive game could suffer despite of the Rogers signing. But they are the Eastern Champions and they still have Kidd running the show.
- Magic: T-Mac is almost enough to place a team in a playoff spot.
- Pistons: The team is very similar to last year's, so there is no reason why they would drop.

Question marks, but likely to get a spot:
- Celtics: They don't have a decent PG, and Baker could hurt more than help.
- Raptors: With Carter healthy they should go back to the spotlight but they have lost Clark.
- Pacers: They have all the pieces, but I don't like Thomas as the coach for this team.

More question marks:
- Bucks: With Robinson gone there is still enough talent to get into the playoffs.
- Sixers: So many changes..., I think they don't know where are they going, but they still have The Answer. Maybe Larry Brown should be replaced.
- Hawks: The key has a name: Theo Ratliff. If he remains healthy, this team will get many chances to go into the playoff, if not, it will be really hard.
- Knicks: I don't know what to think about this team. But if everything works (Williams as the PG, Dice healthy) they could be back on track.
- Heat: Another huge question mark. Butler won't play a significant role next year, but they still have playoff talent as they prove it during the second half of the last season.
- Wizards: If Jordan plays they would have few chances. If he does not play, they are lottery bound.

Lottery lock:
- Bulls: Too young and unexperienced to achieve a good enough season to make the playoffs.
- Cavaliers: Not enough talent and very young.

So I have 13 candidates for just 8 playoff spots.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Genjuro</b>!
I just don't know how you can make rankings in the East. I mean, it's so difficult to predict how is it going to end.

I have just four locks for the playoffs:
- Hornets: Great team. If they are healthy, my nº1 candidate for the NBA finals
- Nets: I don't like Mutombo, and their offensive game could suffer despite of the Rogers signing. But they are the Eastern Champions and they still have Kidd running the show.
- Magic: T-Mac is almost enough to place a team in a playoff spot.
- Pistons: The team is very similar to last year's, so there is no reason why they would drop.

Question marks, but likely to get a spot:
- Celtics: They don't have a decent PG, and Baker could hurt more than help.
- Raptors: With Carter healthy they should go back to the spotlight but they have lost Clark.
- Pacers: They have all the pieces, but I don't like Thomas as the coach for this team.

More question marks:
- Bucks: With Robinson gone there is still enough talent to get into the playoffs.
- Sixers: So many changes..., I think they don't know where are they going, but they still have The Answer. Maybe Larry Brown should be replaced.
- Hawks: The key has a name: Theo Ratliff. If he remains healthy, this team will get many chances to go into the playoff, if not, it will be really hard.
- Knicks: I don't know what to think about this team. But if everything works (Williams as the PG, Dice healthy) they could be back on track.
- Heat: Another huge question mark. Butler won't play a significant role next year, but they still have playoff talent as they prove it during the second half of the last season.
- Wizards: If Jordan plays they would have few chances. If he does not play, they are lottery bound.

Lottery lock:
- Bulls: Too young and unexperienced to achieve a good enough season to make the playoffs.
- Cavaliers: Not enough talent and very young.

So I have 13 candidates for just 8 playoff spots.
I agreed with so much of this very good post, that I had to repost it along with my almost total agreement to it.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I'm an avid Orlando fan, but I have to admit New Jersey looks like the big leader as far as the East goes this season.

They lost Van Horn, but Jefferson should be able to step in and is a much better all-around player than Van Horn. This kid could be a superstar, a big superstar.. could happen this year.

And Mutombo isn't much worse than MacCullough offensively and will be good defensively.

They've got the deepest team in the East.

I say:

1. Nets
2. Pacers
3. Hornets (if totally healthy, especially Mash)
4. Orlando (would have been #2 if they had added another big)
5. Detroit - no real huge additions, no one on the team that would really improve that much
6. Boston - Baker doesnt help much
7. Philly - all Iverson
8. Bucks - Tim Thomas is x-factor

close -
Atlanta - next year will be playoff bound
New York - McDyess needs some time, not much on team besides Houston, Spree, McDyess

1 - 20 of 21 Posts