Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s no secret the Denver Nuggets–or at least many of the players–quit on coach Brian Shaw before he was fired.

But under interim head coach Melvin Hunt, Denver has become a dangerous opponents for playoff-bound opponents jockeying for seeds. The Nuggets are 6-2 since Hunt took over and started pushing the pace again in true Nuggets fashion.

Turns out, though, that winning might not be on everyone’s agenda.

Suspicions about the owners wanting the team to lose a fair amount of the remaining games cropped up on March 16 when Chris Dempsey of the Denver Post revealed that Ty Lawson, Kenneth Faried, and Danilo Gallinari–three of the Nuggets best players–will not play against the Grizzlies tonight due to rest.

“To be clear: Nuggets Interim head coach Melvin Hunt & his staff aren’t choosing to rest players. Nor are players asking to be rested,” he added via Twitter. That post seems to indicate that the owners/front office are trying to get the team to lose, thus resting the players.

An increasing number of teams are resting players even when they’re not injured, but they are primarily teams with some of the best records in the league, such as the Warriors, Grizzlies, and Hawks.

This twist, given the Nuggets will not face any of the playoff grind and that the season is almost over, provoked a strong reaction across the league.
http://www.theepochtimes.com//n3/1286281-are-the-denver-nuggets-tanking/

That's a shame. Does it really get more blatant than this? Ownership must be forcing Hunt's hand here.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nuggets F Kenneth Faried asked about resting: "No comment."
“I have no idea what they are going to do," Chandler said. "Whoever is on the court just has to keep playing. It's the nature of the business. I'm not a GM; I don't know what's going on. It's tough when you're fighting together but you're getting set up for failure.”
"If I'm playing marbles or jacks, I'm trying to win," Hunt said. "If I'm playing checkers, Candy Crush, I want to win. There's just something about it. When you have integrity and you're doing the right thing, no matter who's watching, no matter what the situation is, I think good things happen."

On Monday evening, however, Hunt was forced to straddle the line when discussing both his frustration at sitting three healthy players that didn’t want to sit, and the Nuggets’ franchise hopes of acquiring even better odds at a top flight draft pick:

It's part of the game," he said. "It's part of the league. We're no different. We have to have great vision. We have to be nearsighted and farsighted, and this is just part of that vision."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/sitting-denver-nuggets-players-lament--getting-set-up-for-failure-184758989.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts