Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are well past halfway through the season and on the downhill stretch towards the conference tourney so it is fair to start following these and updating. There has been more mathematicians entering the statistical market with their projections, so I will put more than just ESPN and St Joseph's employee Joe Lunardi's Bracketology:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
A-10: 3 Bids (Butler, VCU and Temple) STL- First 4 out

http://dailybracket.wordpress.com
A-10: 5 Bids (Butler, VCU, Temple, STL and La Salle)

http://seedmadness.home.comcast.net/~seedmadness/
A-10: 6 Bids (Butler, VCU, Temple, STL, UMASS and La Salle)

Pre-Wednesday and Thursday's Games (1/16-1/17) Brackets
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1484067-2013-march-madness-field-of-68-projections-jan-14
A-10: 5 Bids (Butler, VCU, Temple, STL and Charlotte) UMASS, St Joes and La Salle- First 9 out

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
A-10: 5 Bids (Butler, VCU, Temple, VCU and Charlotte) UMASS- First 4 out

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm not ready to say the season is on the downhill stretch. We still have 16 more guaranteed games to go. Lets talk in about 4-5 more weeks!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I'm not ready to say the season is on the downhill stretch. We still have 16 more guaranteed games to go. Lets talk in about 4-5 more weeks!
Agreed - you really can't do this with a whole lot of accuracy until at least February - mid-February. Waay too many critical conference matchups still to be completed.

To have Umass in without playing Butler, VCU, or Temple... is not right.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
If you really want to follow some brackets, here's a handy site to bookmark.
Has all the major brackets and averages the picks.
Currently tracking 41 of them and averaging projected seeds.

The neatest part is that when Selection Sunday rolls around, they'll rank all the bracket pickers and how they did. Lunardi for example generally doesn't do as well as some others any more.

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you really want to follow some brackets, here's a handy site to bookmark.
Has all the major brackets and averages the picks.
Currently tracking 41 of them and averaging projected seeds.

The neatest part is that when Selection Sunday rolls around, they'll rank all the bracket pickers and how they did. Lunardi for example generally doesn't do as well as some others any more.

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm
THIS IS GREAT!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Agreed - you really can't do this with a whole lot of accuracy until at least February - mid-February. Waay too many critical conference matchups still to be completed.

To have Umass in without playing Butler, VCU, or Temple... is not right.
Exactly. VCU finishes @SLU, @ Xavier, Butler, UR, @Temple

I know VCU is a good squad but we'll really find out how good we are in the last 3 weeks.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I can't agree with Charlotte (as much as I want to) until we beat some better teams.

If we take down Richmond, X, and GW in our next three games, I'll be more of a believer. None of those three are incredible teams, but they all have talent and can beat any team in the league on any given night.

Win those three and go .500 against a brutal february schedule and we should be dancing.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Wait! You're saying X isn't an "incredible" team?
Damn.
This calls for a trip to Charlotte next week.
Got to make the drive. Will be the last time to visit Halton.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Agreed, Charlotte shouldn't be in anyone's brackets yet. I'm happy they've won so many, I think teams from past couple of years would've lost a few of these games. But need to win against tougher competition, and on the road, to justify at-large selections.

Still, it's been several years since even being in bubble talk. This program has sunk so far after a terrific run for about a decade. Hope this means it's on the rebound.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Wait! You're saying X isn't an "incredible" team?
Damn.
This calls for a trip to Charlotte next week.
Got to make the drive. Will be the last time to visit Halton.
In years past, Xavier brought in some impressive OOC records, and often a national ranking. But X is a good team this year too, as long as everyone stays healthy and learns to deal with lack of depth. That's going to be a very tough game for Charlotte. Hope you have a good trip aside from the game outcome....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think Butler, VCU and Temple are all going to be locks. I also think that Saint Louis and one of UMass/Xavier/Charlotte/LaSalle/St Joes will get in. 5 bid year.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
VCU and Butler are both solid.

Right now, I'm hard pressed to find any other A10 team that should be definitely in after today, or even potentially have a greater than 50-50 shot if you base it on a combination of right now and future schedules. Temple? Still have only two top 100 wins all year, and have lost 3 of five and struggled against middle-of-the-road A10 caliber teams the last couple games. SLU? The Washington loss doesn't look so bad, but today's to URI does... SJU? Sitting at only 10-6, I'm not sure they're in. After today, Charlotte is highly suspect. X doesn't have an OOC resume outside the Butler game, with 5 losses to teams projected outside the top 100. La Salle's terrible loss to CCSU is still shining, and without a top 50 win yet they're likely out if you'd look at teams right now. UMass's loss today to GW puts them behind the eight ball as do injuries.

Looking team-by-team, I'm struggling here...we may need more conference separation than people think IMO to even approach four bids.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Temple is at a crossroads right now. They are probably one of the last 4-8 out if it closed today. They will have their chances, @ Butler a week from now, VCU at home to close the year, some tough road games in between. The Syracuse win got better today, playing Kansas close while it won't help like a win will at least show they have the talent to hang with the big teams. I wouldn't be stunned if we won @ Butler then turned around and lost to Richmond at home, it's just that type of year.

Last year Temple was 12-5 and 1-2 in league play. Many thought that team was dead in the water even with the win over Duke. They finished league play 12-1 and a 5 seed. I don't want to bring up what happened in the tournament though. So are we dead? No. But can this team dig deep like last years team and use this as their moment and earn their bid? We'll see but they will have the chances available.

·
Registered
299 Posts
- VCU and Butler are locks
- Xavier is emerging as the third team imo. They have some bad losses but also have some good wins. They seem to be hitting their stride.
- Temple isn't a tournament team now. The win over Syracuse will only go so far. I see two more losses in the near future for the Owls between @ Butler, Richmond and @ SJU. Unless there's a major turnaround Dunphy will be trying his luck in the NIT.
- SLU bad loss to URI, I don't see it with Billikens with two games each with VCU and Butler

SJU, Richmond, Charlotte, La Salle, Umass etc have little to no shot without winning the league imo. SJU might have the closest thing to a pulse.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I do believe a 3rd will win the tournament if that is the case though. The team who wins the A-10 tournament usually is a team who needs it or thinks they need it. As sad as it would be could you imagine the intensity of each game if Butler and VCU are the only two safely in without it? It would be excellent TV.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts