Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Crazy Fan From Idaho</b>!
I still miss him too much. No talking about how other players are good passers. :(
We all miss Scottie. :grinning:

:angel:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I about pooped a brick on a few of those passes... Damon doesn't give a rip about getting the ball to team mates... it is only what he does when he can't shoot.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I didn't see the Utah game, but one thing I really liked about Cook against Phoenix -- and the stats won't reflect this -- is that he is looking to set players up, not pad his assists. Many of his passes put someone in the perfect position to find someone at the rim. That's not something a lot of players are skilled at... Wesley was a big benefactor on several plays against the Suns.

Dan

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Good to hear about Cook. Hopefully, he can keep his attitude in check, now that he's had some time in the purgatory of the NBDL. He does seem to have more of the right instincts for being an NBA point guard than Erick Barkley... hopefully he'll listen to Cheeks and can steal a little more of Stoudamire's playing time... and a little more, and a little more... :D

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Omar!

Damon passes a lot. He shoots more than Cook though, so maybe he's thinking about his shot more. A lot of Damon's shots tonight came after a pass from someone else.

Omar runs the offense. He runs hard on fast breaks and on sets he calls a play- the Blazers have one play so he calls that one every time. The wings run off screens and Omar gets someone the ball the instant they get around the screen. Impossibly early. His passes through traffic have been awesome.

He tells guys where to go, Ruben snapped to his spot once when Omar pointed.

Go Omar!!!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The bounce pass has become such a lost art in this league - it is nice to see a point guard who hasn't forgotten it.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Cook actually had a nice jumper tonight, too. I know that it's a weakness in him game, but so far 67% from the field is acceptable to me :)

Ed O.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Ya...

I have been happily suprised by Omars jump shooting so far. I thought he would have a Tinsley like J...worse than Tinsley actually...but his jumper has looked good so far.

His passing is rivled IMO by only Jason Kidd. Ya, that may be a huge stretch...but he has amazing court vision and sense.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ThatBlazerGuy</b>!
Ya...

I have been happily suprised by Omars jump shooting so far. I thought he would have a Tinsley like J...worse than Tinsley actually...but his jumper has looked good so far.

His passing is rivled IMO by only Jason Kidd. Ya, that may be a huge stretch...but he has amazing court vision and sense.
I think us Blazer fans have been starved for a true point guard for so long it makes any unforced nice pass seem impossibly exciting.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Omar Cook played for the Pacers in the pre-season. In his first game, he went 4-4 from the field and scored 13 points, and didn't turn the ball over once. We were all talking about how great it was that we'd finally found a PG who could shoot.

In the next five games, he shot a combined 2-20, and he was benched for the last two preseason games.

Don't get your hopes up. Trust me, if he could shoot as well as Tinsley he would never have been banished to the NBDL.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Originally posted by <b>trifecta</b>!

I think us Blazer fans have been starved for a true point guard for so long it makes any unforced nice pass seem impossibly exciting.
:laugh:

On a more serious note though, I really hope Cook can continue to contribute and be awarded with an extended stay in the league.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!

Don't get your hopes up. Trust me, if he could shoot as well as Tinsley he would never have been banished to the NBDL.
But he's only 22. While I don't think it's likely, the possibility certainly exists for him to work to improve his shot.

You mentioned Michael Redd and how hard he worked to improve his shot. If anything, Cook has much or more reason to put in that work, to stay in the NBA and not go back to the NBDL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts