Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Re: OT: How 'Bout Them Cubbies?

jbulls said:
Three games into the Jacque Jones era and we're already talking about dealing him!

I wouldn't mind it, Jones was a totally bone headed signing IMO. Below average hitting for a corner outfielder, not terribly good in the field, and on the decline to boot. All for 3 years at 5 million per. Give me Reggie Sanders any day.
He's 0-for-the season so far! That's a tough way to get started, especially when the consensus among fans seems to be that we're vastly overpaying an average player. He really needed to start off well to win over the fans.

· Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Re: OT: How 'Bout Them Cubbies?

Nice comeback win vs. the Cards today. Zambrano pitched better and the bullpen was great. Barrett and Lee with clutch HRs.

it'd be nice if they scored some runs that weren't off of HRs, but hey, it's a win.

Reactions: LegoHat and Anima

· Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
It makes me a little nervous that so many of our runs have come on HRs so far, but wins are wins. And I really like Pierre and Walker at the top of the order, even though Pierre hasn't set the world on fire yet. He makes contact nearly every at-bat, and is fast enough that even routine grounders put pressure on the defense. Walker just rakes the ball to all fields. I think we'll see Pierre scoring on a lot of Lee/Ramirez drives as the season goes on.

After that great first game, Murton hasn't done anything (good fielding though). Dusty must be itching to put Mabry in there. :biggrin: (I actually really liked the Mabry pickup as long as he only plays everyday due to an injury...he's a solid PH and utility fielder). I'm still not a fan of Jones, but he had a big HR last night and hustled out an infield single too. Hopefully he'll provide something.

· Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
jbulls said:
I think we should be thanking our lucky stars we didn't pick up Soriano in the off-season this year. He's one of the worst defensive second baseman in baseball and really doesn't hit any better than Walker. Their 2005 offensive splits:

Soriano: .268/.309/.512
Walker: .305/.355/.474

Additionally, Walker's a left handed bat, something the Cubs are typically short on. This year, outside of Walker, only Pierre and Jones bat left handed. Homers won't be a problem IMO - Lee and Ramirez will threaten 40, and Murton, Jones and Barrett should all approach 20. If we'd picked up Soriano all three of our position player additions would've had sub .330 OBP's last season, which is a scary thought...
Agreed. Although Barrett has topped out at 16HRs the last couple years, I view him as a guy who has 20-25HR potential. If Dusty keeps him out of the 8 hole this season, he'll have more pitches to hit since Murton or Jones will be behind him instead of the pitcher.

We have enough HR power without Soriano. I would have been happy if we'd brought him in, but I actually like the balance the lineup has (or should have on paper) now.

· Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Future said:
I don't know why people are complaining about our runs coming off homers.
I'm not complaining - I'll take runs in any form. It just makes me think of the team the last couple years when we score ALL of our runs off of HRs. It's way too early for me to get worried that we're going to live and die by the long ball again. I don't think this team has to worry nearly as much about that.

· Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Also, since the powers-that-be were foolish (I mean...smart!) enough to make me a mod, I'll use this thread to remind everyone that there's a Cubs-specific forum right over here. If you don't get your fill of Cubs talk here, stop by. Please?

· Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
DaBullz said:
I like Felixe Pie. Add me to your club.

Oops, already in that one.
I'll put a 2 in parentheses next to your name.

· Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Love can be painful sometimes. They're getting shellacked by the Reds. Glendon Rusch gave up a HR to BRONSON FREAKING ARROYO for the second time in a week.

· Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
PC Load Letter said:
I was never comfortable putting Rusch in the rotation and I hope this was enough to drop him. I would have been much more comfortable having Williams start the season in the rotation and Rusch in the bullpen, rather than vice versa.

Rusch needs to be relegated permanently to the "long relief/occasional starter due to necessity" role. That's when he was at his best two years ago when he came out of nowhere and was surprisingy good.
Yeah...I think they felt a debt of gratitude to him for sort of being the limbo guy. Plus, last year at least, Rusch pitched well as a starter and got lit up as a reliever. That probably factored in as well.

Agreed though...at least Williams is young and talented even if he does struggle at times. I'd rather let him try to be a starter - more upside, similar downside.

I think Guzman could get his chance pretty soon, or maybe Rich Hill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.