Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know we're going to need one of these. Let's keep the game thread about the game and the *****ing about the refs over here.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm not one that usually feels this way but it sure looks like 8 v 5 today. I watched one play on slo mo in which Duke stole the ball, there were three moves by Duke players that should have been called a foul before GW lost the ball.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Granted I just saw the last 5 minutes of the half but it looks like they are generally letting both sides play. There was a loose ball scramble where I counted a GW foul, then a Duke foul, then another GW foul with no call made. They're rewarding the kids for trying to make the tough defensive play

·
Registered
991 Posts
This half is a little different story. Hand checks are going against GW but Duke can seem to do no wrong when they play defense. And Sheldon Williams is using his off hand to push the defender every time. And he just put an elbow in Mike Hall's head! WTF!

·
Jump Hook Assassin
1,886 Posts
No matter who was officiating that game, GW wouldn't have won the way it played. They were decent, but decent won't beat Duke.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Shelden Williams gets away with more contact when he goes up to block a shot than anybody in America. I've been saying it for years, he has to take someone out to get a call on him. I didn't even see the game so I will not be citing incidents. Don't get me wrong, he is a very good shot blocker, but come on, 7 blocks on an athletic team like GW!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my opinion calls were very one sided, right from the get-go. Ends up it would not have made a difference either way, but Duke got away with a lot more stuff underneath, with hand checks on the outside and in general a lot more than GW. And this is coming from a guy who grew up rooting for Duke, who had no idea that there was a university name after our first president. I think there was a lot, and I mean a lot, of body on a lot of GW's drives to the hoop. Those things change the complexion of the game. Duke is the better team no doubt and deserved to move on, they don't really need the help from the refs though in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
JoDete93 said:
In my opinion calls were very one sided, right from the get-go. Ends up it would not have made a difference either way, but Duke got away with a lot more stuff underneath, with hand checks on the outside and in general a lot more than GW. And this is coming from a guy who grew up rooting for Duke, who had no idea that there was a university name after our first president. I think there was a lot, and I mean a lot, of body on a lot of GW's drives to the hoop. Those things change the complexion of the game. Duke is the better team no doubt and deserved to move on, they don't really need the help from the refs though in my opinion.
Completely agree about the body contact on the drives. I was there and it looked horrible. I'm glad to see that those watching on TV saw the same thing.

Basically, the refs let three things happen:

1) They let Duke use a ton of body contact on the drives. This allowed Duke to completely overplay the perimeter so that our only option was driving (which we did quite effectively), but by allowing them to bang us on the drives, it made it extremely hard for us to finish (something they didn't allow GW to do, like the one on Pops on the perimeter). In the second half, GW did a better job of creating open space on those drives so that the bumping didn't matter, but we just couldn't finish and get the shots to drop.

2) THey allowed Paulus to push off virtually every time up the floor. That rendered our press virtually neutered since the offensive player was allowed to use his off-arm to create space to bring the ball up. Really nothing a pressure defense team can do when the refs allow the other team to bring the ball up that way.

3) By missing several fouls on Williams early (and Redick, but the missed body contact on Williams was much more egregious), they kept him on the floor. I think GW's gameplan was to get him in foul trouble by driving at him. GW seemed to do it over and over, but without any calls. I have no idea whether GW could have won if they had called those fouls -- we had such a hard time finishing that it's tough to say -- but if Williams had to sit on the bench with well-earned foul trouble, it's a completely different game.

I definitely understand now why the "Duke gets every call" stuff reached a crescendo where it becamse a media story. Today I saw firsthand how that played out.

Lastly, I do want to add that in spite of the way the game was called, GW had many opportunities and could have taken advantage anyway. We did a great job on Redick and even on Williams. We did a good job spacing the floor and driving. But we just couldn't finish and missed way, way too many open looks to beat the #1 team in the country.

Just wasn't our day today, but I couldn't be prouder of my team and the season they had. Mike Hall, Omar Williams, Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Alex Kireev will live forever in GW lore.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on a great season, FQ. The Colonials fought hard. The shots just weren't dropping. It's a shame that the refs let Paulus play defense like a cornerback in football. I didn't know there was a five yard jam rule in basketball. I was hoping to hear coach k after the game breaking down, praising his seniors for a tremendous season --- and how special they are and how they deserved a chance to win a national championship. It would have been sweet. But this is why beating Duke is so magical. You have to overcome so much more than just their basketball.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
One thing GW didn't do that they absolutely should have was go hard at Redick after he picked up his 3rd foul with 12 minutes left. Pinnock had him isolated twice in the next couple of minutes. Once he passed and the next he launched a three pointer. You've got to try to get him his 4th immediately and GW never tried.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let me make this very clear. GW shot 30% from the field. We lost the game ourselves.

That said the reffing was flagrant. Whole different set of rules for Sheldon than everyone else on the court. But we knew that going in so............whatcha gonna do

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Thanks ItsyBitsy. I appreciate that very much.

I just read the NY Times article on the game. It's largely about the officiating. The fact that it was controversial enough that it's a major part of a neutral newspaper's coverage tells you all you need to know, considering how egregious it has to be to get a journalist to cover it.

Again, GW could have won anyway by making the shots they made all year, but the officials changed the game entirely in Duke's favor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.