Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Congratulations

Fordham did not dominate baseball but they are the champs.

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
The site created a Double Post...so I should say, good luck again I guess.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Fordham wins it in extras in game 1 to punch their ticket. The ump had a poor strike zone and the winning run came in the bottom of the 12th on a controversial walk.

Fordham dominates the bat sports in 2019. Softball and baseball champs!
In baseball, it's obviously hard for the Union schools to compete with the Confederate schools (I kid, I kid), so it's good to see General McClellan's boys get the title here. Even though I don't follow much college baseball, I remember being pretty into Bona's A10 title a decade or so ago, so Ndoye the run, ace.

I'll be sure to tune into ESPN+ (assuming it's on there) for Fordham's NCAA game.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
In baseball, it's obviously hard for the Union schools to compete with the Confederate schools (I kid, I kid), so it's good to see General McClellan's boys get the title here.
General McClellan's boys, including my great-grandfather, would still be sitting in the dugout waiting while McClellan pestered Lincoln for more reinforcements.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
General McClellan's boys, including my great-grandfather, would still be sitting in the dugout waiting while McClellan pestered Lincoln for more reinforcements.
Yeah. After I hit ‘submit’, I thought about Little Mac’s penchant for zealot-like caution. “Unconditional Surrender” Grant would have been more appropriate. Even George Meade.

/nerd talk

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Yeah. After I hit ‘submit’, I thought about Little Mac’s penchant for zealot-like caution. “Unconditional Surrender” Grant would have been more appropriate. Even George Meade.

/nerd talk
Yes, don't sleep on George Gordon Meade, that "God-damned old goggle-eyed snapping turtle" as at least one of his soldiers referred to him. He was a fine tactician and an able army commander when called upon in 1863. He did yeoman's work on the heights above Gettysburg. What many people don't realize is that he remained the Commander of the Army of the Potomac for the rest of the war.

He gets overlooked, largely I think because Grant's decision to accompany the Army of the Potomac in the field rather than stay in Washington in his role of General-in-Chief of the Union armies effectively made Meade a sort of supernumerary; in people's' minds at least.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Last time I saw any of General McClellan's boys, it was when they were hauling a wagon of wounded across my family's front yard. 157 years ago this coming weekend...

Or maybe it was 4 weeks later, my memory ain't what it used to be...

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Excellent, my great-grandfather fought at Seven Pines/Fair Oaks. He was on the initial skirmish line, whether near the airport or up on the Nine Mile Road I do not know. He might have been in that cart. I don't know whether or not he was wounded there, but he received a medical discharge shortly thereafter.

EDIT: I left out the part that this happened 157 years ago this coming Saturday.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
In baseball, it's obviously hard for the Union schools to compete with the Confederate schools (I kid, I kid), so it's good to see General McClellan's boys get the title here. Even though I don't follow much college baseball, I remember being pretty into Bona's A10 title a decade or so ago, so Ndoye the run, ace.

I'll be sure to tune into ESPN+ (assuming it's on there) for Fordham's NCAA game.
Fordham got placed 4th in the West Virginia Regional and first face WVU on Friday at 8 PM on ESPN3. I believe I figured out the difference between ESPN3 and ESPN+ and that is that 3 is free, while you have to pay for plus.

Other teams in that regional are Texas A&M and Duke.

I am sure there is plentiful opportunity to continue the Civil War talk now that you know the participants.

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
It was not just losing, but who they lost to. They were eliminated by Richmond, after all.
Overall I think it was a good season. I went to a bunch of baseball games and I think they overachieved to win the regular season (although they won it pretty easily). They were young. Next year they should have a good shot at an at-large bid.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Excellent, my great-grandfather fought at Seven Pines/Fair Oaks. He was on the initial skirmish line, whether near the airport or up on the Nine Mile Road I do not know. He might have been in that cart. I don't know whether or not he was wounded there, but he received a medical discharge shortly thereafter.

EDIT: I left out the part that this happened 157 years ago this coming Saturday.
I made the 4 weeks comment because the Wagon may have been for 7 days instead of 7 pines...

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Rumors are swirling that Phil Martelli will be an assistant coach for Juwan Howard at Michigan. That is so weird to me.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Rumors are swirling that Phil Martelli will be an assistant coach for Juwan Howard at Michigan. That is so weird to me.

Heard a lot of those rumors too. What is the connection there? Howard would be wise to bring in some experienced assistants so this makes sense. Usually coaches bring in people they know so I dont know if Martelli and Howard have ever even met.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts