Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Phil doesn’t seem like the type to join a staff that will do P5ish seedy things. That said, it would be a nice, cushy gig for a year or two until Drexel, Delaware, Rider, or someone like that needs a new HC.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Phil doesn’t seem like the type to join a staff that will do P5ish seedy things. That said, it would be a nice, cushy gig for a year or two until Drexel, Delaware, Rider, or someone like that needs a new HC.
How many angels programs are there in Div 1 major sports?
Of course I'm jaded thinking this is a very dark, greedy, and self serving world. There are many good people, but event those have a small piece of the dark side.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
How many angels programs are there in Div 1 major sports?
Of course I'm jaded thinking this is a very dark, greedy, and self serving world. There are many good people, but event those have a small piece of the dark side.
There is that and also the possibility that Phil is feeling a little disenchanted.

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
My father went to Ohio State for his Department of Veterinary Science degree so it pains me to say that Coach Martelli is going to that school up north.

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
It's very, very strange. I can't remember a coach with Phil's experience and accolades going back to be on somebody else's bench.
It has to be due to Juwan Howard not having experience running a college program. He is probably going to be a mentor as much as being an assistant coach.

Blaine Taylor, who is 61 years old, has been doing a great job as an assistant for UC Irvine. Older coaches with experience still have plenty to offer if they are willing. One thing about Phil is that he has basketball in his blood so he will work his tail off. I am happy for him other than the school up north aspect.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
George Blaney was also a pretty successful coach at Holy Cross from the early 70's into the mid 90s and then had a short stint at Seton Hall before becoming a successful long-term assistant to Calhoun at UConn serving as the yang to Calhoun's yin.

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
If you get the Athletic, this is an interesting article about Martelli.

I did not know his son worked at VCU.

https://theathletic.com/1009834/2019/06/04/the-story-of-phil-martellis-unexpected-second-act-at-michigan/
Yes. Jimmy is the Director of Basketball Operations. I think it is his 3rd season and he is a nice guy. I am glad that VCU plucked him out of the 9 to 5 world to get him back into the basketball profession.

By the way, Jimmy looks like a younger Phil.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Yes. Jimmy is the Director of Basketball Operations. I think it is his 3rd season and he is a nice guy. I am glad that VCU plucked him out of the 9 to 5 world to get him back into the basketball profession.

I don't have access to the Atlantic article so I don't know if any of the following was mentioned. The younger Martelli was caught up in the Mike Rice firestorm at Rutgers several years back. I was living in NJ at the time and I remember thinking maybe Rice and Martelli (he was on tape doing some of the same things as Rice) were a bit over the top,but similar things occurred in my younger days as a player as well. Times change and people can too. Glad Jimmy is back in the game, and I think its time Rice gets another chance as well. He's done a good job at ST. Patricks (a NJ parochial power) and working with Hoop Scoop to develop players. He can coach and is well connected player wise in the metro NY area. To me,if you bring him on as an assistant, the potential reward outweighs the risk.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts