Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Yes. Jimmy is the Director of Basketball Operations. I think it is his 3rd season and he is a nice guy. I am glad that VCU plucked him out of the 9 to 5 world to get him back into the basketball profession.

I don't have access to the Atlantic article so I don't know if any of the following was mentioned. The younger Martelli was caught up in the Mike Rice firestorm at Rutgers several years back. I was living in NJ at the time and I remember thinking maybe Rice and Martelli (he was on tape doing some of the same things as Rice) were a bit over the top,but similar things occurred in my younger days as a player as well. Times change and people can too. Glad Jimmy is back in the game, and I think its time Rice gets another chance as well. He's done a good job at ST. Patricks (a NJ parochial power) and working with Hoop Scoop to develop players. He can coach and is well connected player wise in the metro NY area. To me,if you bring him on as an assistant, the potential reward outweighs the risk.
Mike Rice hasn't coached there in two years.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Mike Rice hasn't coached there in two years.
Correct. He is now at Princeton Arts & Sports Academy (PASA). PASA, interestingly enough, was launched in part by Chris Chavannes who was the co-coach at The Patrick School (formerly St. Patrick's) with Mike Rice.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/26/mike-rice-to-coach-fledgling-new-jersey-basketball-academy-that-hopes-to-compete-with-montverde-oak-hill-and-other-national-powers/

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #123

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
It seems the Bengals decided to practice one day in Dayton (as the first pro game or something was played there). The field they wanted wasn't available, so they went to the UD field.

Players complained about poor field conditions. AJ Green (star receiver) ends up injuring himself...out for weeks.

Guess the Flyers just don't like anything from Cincinnati.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It seems the Bengals decided to practice one day in Dayton (as the first pro game or something was played there). The field they wanted wasn't available, so they went to the UD field.

Players complained about poor field conditions. AJ Green (star receiver) ends up injuring himself...out for weeks.

I would think you would plan ahead and reserve the field you wanted, but then again it's the Bengals.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts

I’m not sure about this Paul. The first professional football game was played in Dayton at what is now known as Triangle Park. Apparently there is a Native American burial ground located at Triangle Park and the City blocked the NFL from building a facility there in honor of the first professional game. Why the Bengals decided to play an inter squad scrimmage at Welcome Stadium is beyond me.

·
Piker
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I watched the new Bill Burr special and his robot bit had my in hysterics. It turned into a hipster rant which made me think of this message board community and how you all like to rag on VCU about hipsters. Anyway, watch it but only if you are not triggered easily. Ha!

121 - 130 of 130 Posts