Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that Matta would take OSU to the Final Four before an A10 team or midmajor ever got there--where you at?

It's funny you were completely right on so many levels (and I now concede a lot of points people argued with you):
-Ohio State was a sleeping giant
-Matta did recruit at a different level (unless Matta could have gotten Oden, Cook and Conley to Xavier)
-Matta did coach at or at an even level higher than his Big 10 peers at Wisco, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan State.

All this is proving to be true. Of course Mason got there first and even though you were right with all your premises--technically you were wrong.

Anybody, remember if he made any silly proclamations like eating his shorts if it ever happened? I know a Dayton fan (can't remember who--maybe the same guy<???> ) said the A10 wouldn't have a final four team and sweated some bullets with St. Joes and Xavier coming up a few points short as a prelude to that debate.

I'm of the mindset, things will go back a little bit to their natural order with kids having to go to college, but Mason slipped in under the gun during this window. Though, I hope the A10 will still bea able to pull it off. So anyway, OSU fan you were right about Ohio State... just wrong about the A10 and the lesser midmajors.

I trust if you said something silly like you'd "go to work naked" if it ever happened, you are doing so.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm fairly confident those OSU remarks were mine. I doubt my comments were in as absolute terms as you recall...my recollection was about the A10 sending someone but it certainly could be implied as any mid major and be fair. But I doubt if I said a mid major would never make it just that Thad Matta and OSU odds are much, much greater and I'd take Matta and the Bucks against all mid majors over the next 10 years. Add to that OSU will actually have a chance to win a National Title...I don't see a mid major sneeking a title out from under the nose of OSU, UCONN, Duke, UNC, Texas, Florida etc...a 5-6 game winning streak for a mid major at this point in the season is going to be rare. 1st and 2nd round games will remain very competitive and even many of the sweet 16 games but 1 of the bigs each year will get on a roll like Florida did and make almost everyone look bad.

Visiting Ohio State can be an intimidating experience for a mid major fan if you're into sizing up facilities and University monetary capabilities. Taking a game in from the Club section of an Ohio State football game is quite impressive to say the least. Most striking to me last year was when I was talking to some Texas Longhorn fans...they were as equally impressed with the Bucks digs as I was and it's just not just the Bucks football facility that's impressive.

That said and me outing myself. It will be very interesting to watch Thad and the Bucks the next couple of years...they've got a great class coming in but 1 in which they are surely going to lose Oden after 1 year. In addition they've got some very good players 1 (Dante Jackson) which Dayton is also in on that want to become Bucks. If OSU offered today, Dante Jackson would tell everyone it's been real but I'm going to be a Buckeye.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's honorable of you Ored. I thought there was a non A10er chiming in though aswell.

Basically this last year proved all your points. I did think the statement was Ohio State would get to the final four before an a10 team or midmajor would. If it was just you and not an OSUer, then I don't doubt you said the A10 (exclusively). However, I agree with your previous post, I think it's a safe assumption George Mason was burdened with all the problems we assign to our league and then 3 or 4 times more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.