Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my friend in seattle asked me where the term "RIP CITY" came from. i wasn't really sure but i remembered that the Schonley came up with it but couldn't remember when or how it came about.

anyone got some help for me?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Shonz used the phrase rip city to describe a line drive when he called baseball games, before he ever worked for the Blazers.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
IIRC, Shonz first used it in a basketball context to describe Petrie's sweet jumper. In his prime, Petrie could fire from the top of the key and barely ripple the net. He also used to describe shots as "hitting nothing but the bottom of the net."

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Here's a must listen for anyone that wants to know the history of "Rip City":

http://www.pdxradio.com/godfrey_koin.ram

Arthur Godfrey was an American icon in radio and television broadcasting during the middle of the 20th century. Godfrey’s relaxing, casual style of his national CBS radio show is very evident from this June 1971 clip on host station KOIN AM/FM. Sports announcer, Bill Schonley is featured with his Portland TrailBlazer basketball tribute, Rip City. Thanks to Bob Swanson, KEX mid-day host (1966-96) and Rip-City author for this.
It's about 8 minutes in or so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks HCP and nightfly and all others. that's pretty much what i figured but wanted conformation from otheres.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts