Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Musketeers, Flyers, Billikens...thanks for the memories.

Bulldogs and, perhaps, Rams III...we hardly knew ya'.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If this all goes down the way it is speculated, the A10 really needs to enforce a put up/leave policy. Having facilities like Fordham and Lasalle do certainly did not help the A10's hand in anything that has gone on.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The next question would be: how can the A10, considering what would be left, avoid this happening again? Would schools like SJU and Richmond agree to establishing a very significant exit fee?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Schools can vote to increase the buyout. The A-10's buyout was nothing compared to what we had to pay for the MAC exit. Now MAC has football but still $500,000 is not a huge incentive. Raising it even just to say 1.5 mil could be the difference.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I think the A-10 can survive relatively intact as is if it were to only lose 1-2 teams. It would be somewhat diminished but it could survive with the remaining membership (and possibly add a team or two). If it loses 4-5 teams, all bets are off. If that is the case it will have lost all its high profile teams. It will not be such an attractive home for many schools. I would think the publics like VCU, UMass, and URI would feel especially out of place and not like what was left.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
The BE7 will take VCU before they take UR.

I disagree. Richmond better fits the size and makeup of the Catholics. I can't see the relatively small private school league with fairly selective admissions asking 30k student public VCU to come aboard. It would stick out like a sore thumb in that group.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
The A-10 is going to be chopped into 4 or 5 pieces. Charlotte to CUSA, Temple to whatever, X and company to the other whatever, rest stay in the old A-10 and UMass halfway in MAC.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
UMass should just move all sports to Hockey East - it's the best combination of local and stable that we have. We'd also compete a lot better in football if they were playing hockey teams at it.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I disagree. Richmond better fits the size and makeup of the Catholics. I can't see the relatively small private school league with fairly selective admissions asking 30k student public VCU to come aboard. It would stick out like a sore thumb in that group.
Agreed.

·
The Professor
1,025 Posts
I don't want to say good-by to the A10; it's been a great league for the Muskies and with the latest additions to the league, arguably a better league than the one which includes the BE7. Instead, I want to say "hello" to 2-4 of the BE7 (G'town/Marquette for sure, and maybe St John's/Villanova). Frankly the only reason why a move would make sense is if the BE7 poached other teams from the current A10 and weakened the league. But if the A10 hangs tough, I say let's keep the league together.

·
Banned
335 Posts
The Big East/A-10 fates say one thing: a conference with both FBS and non-FBS programs is meant to fail. Just too many diametrically opposed positions.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't want to say good-by to the A10; it's been a great league for the Muskies and with the latest additions to the league, arguably a better league than the one which includes the BE7. Instead, I want to say "hello" to 2-4 of the BE7 (G'town/Marquette for sure, and maybe St John's/Villanova). Frankly the only reason why a move would make sense is if the BE7 poached other teams from the current A10 and weakened the league. But if the A10 hangs tough, I say let's keep the league together.
It would be kind of hilarious if no one ended up joining the BE7 in the new league.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Lets get ahead of ourselves!

It appears the most likely scenario is a depleted A10 left with:
Umass
Rhode Island
Fordham
Richmond
George Washington
LaSalle
St. Joes
St. Bona
Duquesne
VCU

I think Butler, Xavier, Dayton, and St. Louis are gone and will join Creighton in the new conference.

Who does the A10 go after to poach some good basketball schools?

George Mason
Detroit
Valpo
Siena
Drexel
Davidson
Murray State
Bucknell
Lehigh
Northern Iowa
Wichita State
Iona
Middle Tennessee

Which of those teams would possibly make the switch? Some are more outrageous than others. I am not sure where these schools stand in football either.

Also what is the magic number for members of the A10? If it is 10 then maybe the conference shouldn't add anyone.

·
Registered
876 Posts
^^George Mason and Davidson. There will no longer be a geographic fit with the Midwest. Our furthest west school would be Duquense.

Go back to being an "Atlantic" Conference.

If we can't get both of them, add Siena.

Play the conference tourney at The Palestra.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts